HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2013, 08:13 PM
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Jul 2012
131 Posts
Wow! This is something. Sorry to have interrupted all you experts here with my newbie jibber jabber. I thought that is what this forum was for. I guess not.

By the way, there was a letter from redrockethobbies in the box which said there is no manual to keep costs down and the neighbor comment was a joke. You guys need to lighten up. This is a hobby you know. Most of us do this for fun
redrider2 is offline Find More Posts by redrider2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2013, 08:24 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined May 2013
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrider2 View Post
Wow! This is something. Sorry to have interrupted all you experts here with my newbie jibber jabber. I thought that is what this forum was for. I guess not.

By the way, there was a letter from redrockethobbies in the box which said there is no manual to keep costs down and the neighbor comment was a joke. You guys need to lighten up. This is a hobby you know. Most of us do this for fun
Very cool that you were joking, thanks for the update. People are very serious on here most of the time but don't let that keep you from participating. It's really a great group.
Markinter is offline Find More Posts by Markinter
Old Jul 10, 2013, 08:29 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Wow and more wow!

This is stunningly good. Rivals ANY documentary footage I've seen. Very very nice, can't believe you didn't get hassled. Great job and thanks for sharing!

QUOTE=QUESTPACT;25537905]Hey guys after months of tweaking I finally achieved some good footage with our DJI Phantom

Check out the vid! and like you youtube!

DJI Phantom Video Contest - Niagara Falls (5 min 2 sec)
[/QUOTE]
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Jul 10, 2013, 08:41 PM
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Jul 2012
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markinter View Post
Very cool that you were joking, thanks for the update. People are very serious on here most of the time but don't let that keep you from participating. It's really a great group.
Thanks Markinter.....first positive statement I have received here. I will take your advice and still participate if/when I need to

I think I will look at that manual again now.......
redrider2 is offline Find More Posts by redrider2
Old Jul 10, 2013, 08:42 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Changing out the 60xt plug

Is changing this plug to an ec3 pretty easy? Or am I going to have to get or make a patch cable?
Thanks!
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Jul 10, 2013, 08:50 PM
Philippines, NCR, Makati City
Joined Sep 2012
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
Is changing this plug to an ec3 pretty easy? Or am I going to have to get or make a patch cable?
Thanks!
Should be a simple 5-minute solder job.

Remove the heat shrink, unsolder the leads from XT60, solder on EC3, heat shrink.

Check and double check polarity before plugging to battery.
natscape is offline Find More Posts by natscape
Old Jul 10, 2013, 08:50 PM
Joined Mar 2013
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravia3D View Post
Thinking of getting into FPV, got the Zenmuse and my hero 3.
I don't think I want to use glasses, but a small screen that allows me to see what the gopro sees. What is the cheapest and lightest system to get the job done that can connect to the Zenmuse easily? With the Zenmuse my phantom is getting heavy and full, so I need light and small!

Or is DJI going to release an app that allows me to use my ipad to view soon?
The thing is that if they are releasing such app, would it be compatible with the old Phantom? remember that video of a "tired-confused" Colin talking about the Phantom vision using a different frequency to avoid interference between the video and the Quad's tx. I have not hear if those statements have been confirm, denied or clarify.
Tony Landing is offline Find More Posts by Tony Landing
Old Jul 10, 2013, 08:58 PM
Joined Sep 2012
692 Posts
DJI can always release a 5.8ghz wifi vtx module for the Phantom v1.0.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 09:15 PM
Joined Sep 2009
163 Posts
Quest... and to think that I almost have an anxiety attack every time I fly my Phantom over our duck pond!

Amazing!
saskwatch is offline Find More Posts by saskwatch
Old Jul 10, 2013, 11:28 PM
Joined Sep 2012
692 Posts
Anybody know what kind of plastic the Phantom shell is made of?

I am trying to repair my old shell which has cracks on the motor mounts while waiting for my new shell to come in.

There are lots of glues, epoxies, etc. and I don't know which ones will work best.

@Jumanoc told me to get araldite epoxy but unfortunately, this is not available where I live.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 11:51 PM
Experienced but not an Expert
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by floete View Post
just to finally report back on this. i went ahead and did as everybody suggested -- upgraded to the latest firmware -- and the problem seems to have been solved. after the warmup, i go to the fast double-green flash and am able to take off no problem.

otoh, i am getting toilet bowling like no one's business. it may be because i'm getting a colonoscopy tomorrow () but i kinda doubt it. didn't happen for the first 2 minutes of flight and then it started, rather large TBE circles, maybe 10' in diameter.

And, yes, i have done the calibrations with the software, both basic and advanced. any idea as to how to get rid of the TBE?
I just wanted to report that I've started to develope the TBE's as well. I upgraded to latest firmware last Sunday, and I flew it for about the 7th time since the update today and it ended up in a major crash. I did a full calibration as the update suggests, and calibrated the compass as well, and everything worked fine up until today.

Today I started up as normal, in the same flying field that I always fly at, so should have been no need to recalibrate the compass, and after initial startup sequence I had all normal lights, locked onto more than 6 satellites, etc. Took off, flew around on manual, Atti, and GPS lock, all normal. Then when on GPS lock the Phantom started to hunt, or basically do a toilet bowl effect, like it circling it's GPS point. I thought that was strange, but didn't think any more about it. Then I activated RTH to show some friends. It flew back to home point but over shot it's mark. So I tried to take control again, and that's when all hell broke loose. I had switched back to Atti mode in order to initiate control after RTH, but I had no control, and it had a large TBE, I noticed that the LED was showing Green, to indicate GPS mode, but I was in Atti on the transmitter. I yelled out 'HEADS UP!' to notify the other fliers at the field that there was a wild model on the loose. A few people had to run out of the way as the Phantom came in low and eventually cartwheeled to a stop at my feet. I am glad that no one got hurt, and was really surprised to see that I only had 2 broken blades on the Phantom and that was it.

I haven't had a chance to investigate further as to what may have caused it, I hope to hook it up to the assistant tomorrow, and see if I can find anything strange with settings, control functions, etc. And I hope to have the video of the flight up on YouTube in the next few days.

I will keep you all posted with my findings, if I find anything that may have caused this that is. But basically I just wanted to let people know that I am also showing TBE, just in case there is an issue with the latest Firmware update. I should also point out that during initial start up the phantom was in the middle of a field with no metal near the compass.

And again, this was after 7 successful flights, at the same location since the firmware update. I'd hate to think that I should have to calibrate the compass before every flight.
seahawk1984 is offline Find More Posts by seahawk1984
Old Jul 11, 2013, 01:41 AM
Joined May 2013
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawk1984 View Post
I just wanted to report that I've started to develope the TBE's as well. I upgraded to latest firmware last Sunday, and I flew it for about the 7th time since the update today and it ended up in a major crash. I did a full calibration as the update suggests, and calibrated the compass as well, and everything worked fine up until today.

Today I started up as normal, in the same flying field that I always fly at, so should have been no need to recalibrate the compass, and after initial startup sequence I had all normal lights, locked onto more than 6 satellites, etc. Took off, flew around on manual, Atti, and GPS lock, all normal. Then when on GPS lock the Phantom started to hunt, or basically do a toilet bowl effect, like it circling it's GPS point. I thought that was strange, but didn't think any more about it. Then I activated RTH to show some friends. It flew back to home point but over shot it's mark. So I tried to take control again, and that's when all hell broke loose. I had switched back to Atti mode in order to initiate control after RTH, but I had no control, and it had a large TBE, I noticed that the LED was showing Green, to indicate GPS mode, but I was in Atti on the transmitter. I yelled out 'HEADS UP!' to notify the other fliers at the field that there was a wild model on the loose. A few people had to run out of the way as the Phantom came in low and eventually cartwheeled to a stop at my feet. I am glad that no one got hurt, and was really surprised to see that I only had 2 broken blades on the Phantom and that was it.

I haven't had a chance to investigate further as to what may have caused it, I hope to hook it up to the assistant tomorrow, and see if I can find anything strange with settings, control functions, etc. And I hope to have the video of the flight up on YouTube in the next few days.

I will keep you all posted with my findings, if I find anything that may have caused this that is. But basically I just wanted to let people know that I am also showing TBE, just in case there is an issue with the latest Firmware update. I should also point out that during initial start up the phantom was in the middle of a field with no metal near the compass.

And again, this was after 7 successful flights, at the same location since the firmware update. I'd hate to think that I should have to calibrate the compass before every flight.
Very scary and thanks for the heads up. I haven't updated o this latest firmware yet. When RTH has been activated then deactivated does the light return to green no matter what mode you use to deactivate it? Very strange that you'd have a dbl green while in att.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 01:46 AM
Joined May 2013
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrider2 View Post
Thanks Markinter.....first positive statement I have received here. I will take your advice and still participate if/when I need to

I think I will look at that manual again now.......
The manual is a good start but this forum with the people that have taken their time to make videos on proper setup operations and how to videos are great and much appreciated.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 02:44 AM
Experienced but not an Expert
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markinter View Post
Very scary and thanks for the heads up. I haven't updated o this latest firmware yet. When RTH has been activated then deactivated does the light return to green no matter what mode you use to deactivate it? Very strange that you'd have a dbl green while in att.
As far as I know, in order to resume control once RTH is activated, you have to be in Atti mode, and the led should go back to flashing yellow. Not sure if you can take control back while in GPS mode. It's been a while since I read the manual, but when I get to troubleshooting this, I will read the manual again to verify this.

I have my phantom setup to use my Spectrum DX8 transmitter, with the AR8000 receiver, along with telemetry. So I am able to activate RTH using a switch. So I allways have it in Atti mode while I RTH, then I can deactivate RTH, and be right back in control. I suspected that I may have had a receiver failure, but telemetry showed that I had no signal loss during the flight. I hope to know more tomorrow.
seahawk1984 is offline Find More Posts by seahawk1984
Old Jul 11, 2013, 04:37 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Delft
Joined Mar 2013
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB1 View Post
If I could find a lightweight one dimensional gimbal which only need be strong and large enough to hold the video tx board (not a camera), then this wold be the ultimate 5.8 GHz video antenna setup. Any suggestions? Any pointers on where to look for how to build such a antenna gimbal?
Sound like the one I made for my gopro. It has jello dampers, manual tilt via Naza and room for vTx. And with the 270 servo I can even see backwards.
Name: 20130705_162934.jpg
Views: 131
Size: 184.2 KB
Description: Name: 20130705_162954.jpg
Views: 129
Size: 143.1 KB
Description: Name: 20130705_163022.jpg
Views: 128
Size: 158.2 KB
Description:
Timmothy is offline Find More Posts by Timmothy