Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:14 PM
Joined Nov 2012
48 Posts
Yesterday you mentioned the Assistant page. I took a picture it says: GPS needed.
sampdoria is offline Find More Posts by sampdoria
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:20 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampdoria View Post
Thanks Ed! I took two pics, it seems to be connected correctly...

Do you see anything wrong?
Have you removed the connector and put it back in. It looks to me that the left side of the connector is not aligned with the socket. The only other thing that I could suggest is to check the continuity of the cable between the Compass end and the GPS end. I would also check all the pins in the connectors and make sure that none of them are bent.

Assistant is not recognizing your GPS so until it does, you will continue to have issues. Have you contacted your dealer about a possible replacement if all the above is negative?
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:32 PM
Joined Nov 2012
48 Posts
I unplugged, checked the connector replugged it, but still does not work. I contacted Century Heli where I bought it from but got no answer yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
Have you removed the connector and put it back in. It looks to me that the left side of the connector is not aligned with the socket. The only other thing that I could suggest is to check the continuity of the cable between the Compass end and the GPS end. I would also check all the pins in the connectors and make sure that none of them are bent.

Assistant is not recognizing your GPS so until it does, you will continue to have issues. Have you contacted your dealer about a possible replacement if all the above is negative?
sampdoria is offline Find More Posts by sampdoria
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:48 PM
Joined Nov 2010
687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
Finally gout our first Phantoms in today. Did an unboxing and took some pictures, probably nothing most haven't seen already:

http://flitelab.com/Reviews/DJIPhantomOverview.aspx

Yeah but it's cool!
boxhead530 is offline Find More Posts by boxhead530
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:10 PM
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
1,984 Posts
Looks like I fix my problem with the compass error. I took the Phantom apart thinking something a wire might have been loose. Nope. Another member suggested the compass might have went bad. I think this was it. Well since the compass wasn't working anyways I decided to put the same screw driver I used to build the Phantom next to the compass. Well what do you know the light stops blinking red/yellow. When I move the screw driver away I get the compass error lights again. So I took the same screw driver and moved it around the compass to see if I can fix it and now the compass works! Just finished flying in the dark and all is good. I finally get the green GPS light and now it actually locks in one spot in the air.

A bad compass caused so many issue today. First the Phantom flew all weird like it wouldn't self level at times. Sometimes it felt like the gains was low. Sometimes when in forward flight, the Phantom would gain momentum and I had to give full opposite correction and it took a long time to correct. Some scary moments at the field today. Glad I got it fix and working correctly now.

I think I have something in the trunk of my car that might have cause the compass to change.

Thanks all for the help
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:20 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTypeS View Post
Looks like I fix my problem with the compass error. I took the Phantom apart thinking something a wire might have been loose. Nope. Another member suggested the compass might have went bad. I think this was it. Well since the compass wasn't working anyways I decided to put the same screw driver I used to build the Phantom next to the compass. Well what do you know the light stops blinking red/yellow. When I move the screw driver away I get the compass error lights again. So I took the same screw driver and moved it around the compass to see if I can fix it and now the compass works! Just finished flying in the dark and all is good. I finally get the green GPS light and now it actually locks in one spot in the air.

A bad compass caused so many issue today. First the Phantom flew all weird like it wouldn't self level at times. Sometimes it felt like the gains was low. Sometimes when in forward flight, the Phantom would gain momentum and I had to give full opposite correction and it took a long time to correct. Some scary moments at the field today. Glad I got it fix and working correctly now.

I think I have something in the trunk of my car that might have cause the compass to change.

Thanks all for the help
Would that happen to be big subwoofers
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:21 PM
Joined Nov 2010
687 Posts
I was planning on some silcone tape to wrap the compass, hanging out on the landing gear...got some white self sealing silcone tape to add some protection, maybe heat shrink too? The compas is about 15$, some soft cover might save some troubles.
Still im going to get a tool demaginizer from harbor freight before my order arrives.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:22 PM
Joined Nov 2010
687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
Would that happen to be big subwoofers
Ah man! He he
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:27 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,040 Posts
Pics of the Carbon Fiber PhantoMount prototype

Just waiting on more CF for the battery tray.
The battery tray pictured is G10 but the final version will be CF.
Weight with servo should be about 90g.
The 2 axis will be a little heavier.
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:31 PM
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
Tough day but I think I finally have it

1 - you really need to do a smooth, fairly aggressive, lift or else it's gonna crash on you
2 - let it warm up - let the quick yellow flashes at the end of the cycle stop
3 - recalibrate the controller (instructions are in the advanced manual)
4 - when turning on the unit, have the left control switch set to 'off' and the right stick set to the manual (the bottom position)
5 - i think the go pro was causing the constant red/yellow. it went away when i took off
6 - the lights take some getting used to
7 - you can freak out your neighbors with this thing at night
flinst is offline Find More Posts by flinst
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:36 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinahbeng View Post
Thanks for the tip Bo Lorenten. So would putting a ND filter in front of the camera lens help? This will fool the Hero into believing that there's low light out there..and thus eliminating jello
@chinahbeng - yes a ND filter helps, the ND also kills the static props and get more of a streaking look.

But it is always worth to understand why ND works. basically jello is a straight line recorded from top to bottom of the sensor with some time-delay. with just the right frequency of vibration, the camera manage to vibrate one or more times in the time it takes to scan the sensor. you see that as bending jello flag-poles or vertical lines (can also apply to horisontal lines)

the most used fix is shooting 60fps or more, now then scan time is reduced enough that mostly the scan happens fast enough that the distorsion do not happen. but it is imaginable that between frames the entire image may shift right left for over all reduced details.

The second fix is increasing the shutter-speed, either manually or forcing the automatic camera with a device like a ND filter. unlike the fast frame rate, slower shutter-speed mask the vibration, by scanning the sensor so slow that the camera have time to vibrate multiple times per scan, this may result in reduced detail in the image naturally.
second side effect is that reducing the light to the sensor, also reduce the dynamic range, resulting in less technically pleasing images.

I am pointing out some of the side-effects because I don't want to distract from the important point that there is no substitute for a perfectly smooth camera. a while ago I linked to the video I did with a GoPro on my Zenmuse gimbal, the GoPro on the Zenmuse delivered a stunning clarity which I am not seeing matched yet on the Phantom, likely because the camera vibrate enough to shift multiple pixels at any time.

Design features like the battery-tray on the gimbal Tony is putting together, can significantly reduce camera vibration, by ganging the weight of the camera and battery together in the suspended part of the system. my guess is that Tony's gimbal design will deliver very clean jello free images even with scuffed props probably.
Bo Lorentzen is online now Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Bo Lorentzen; Jan 14, 2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:44 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,586 Posts
Just be cause one can, do not always mean its a good idea, yet could not help myself from drafting a gimbal for my ReplayXD camera I wanted something more compact and slick to stick under the Phantom. anyone suggest a high-resolution servo for direct drive.? guess high-resolution and high-speed 400hz kind of thing.?

Phantom with ReplayXD gimbal draft version 1 function test (0 min 43 sec)
Bo Lorentzen is online now Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:20 AM
Joined Jan 2013
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
Just be cause one can, do not always mean its a good idea, yet could not help myself from drafting a gimbal for my ReplayXD camera I wanted something more compact and slick to stick under the Phantom. anyone suggest a high-resolution servo for direct drive.? guess high-resolution and high-speed 400hz kind of thing.?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT6O3RUVUkw
That looks amazing! Hoping there will be versions like this for the gopro that beginners like me will be able to buy. Daft question but how does it self level? Is it all auto?
IanAstles is offline Find More Posts by IanAstles
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:42 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Dec 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTypeS View Post

Thanks all for the help

That's the beauty of this forum, together we have a lot of knowledge to share and we are all willing to take time to share!

Glad to hear the good news!
Airphotoman is offline Find More Posts by Airphotoman
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:45 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT6O3RUVUkw
The EMAX ES08MD digital servos work well with naza and are what are suggested for the Quadframe.com gimbal. 400hz digital.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor