HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2013, 02:47 PM
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Mar 2012
900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunPilot View Post
Just popping in to say that over the past couple of days I've updated and upgraded my Phantom without hitting a single snag (thus far).

First was the firmware update. No problem.

And then last night I upgraded to a Futaba receiver (bought a T8J transmitter to use with the Phantom because of the S-bus compatibility ... I've been flying JR on other aircraft up until now). Apparently I got all the settings right because it flew beautifully this morning.

So now I don't have to worry about that 300 meter range thing. Not that I'd even fly at that distance, and I'm not doing FPV, but just knowing that my range is now more than a kilometer is comforting. Don't like testing the limits of any electrical/mechanical system.

So now I'm just waiting for the DJI gimbal.
I'm really confused about the range of the Phantom. I keep reading 300 meters, but then look at the post above - BuRKuT flew it a mile on stock receiver? See link to BuRKuT's post below:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=13138
Wangta is online now Find More Posts by Wangta
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2013, 02:51 PM
Quad Pilot
Joined Jan 2013
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
Thanks I will look. What did I do wrong?!
May be wired was not enough free from board when you pull it away ? .. That was my error... now replacing Green ESC because not possible recover using the broken solder plate
Jumanoc is offline Find More Posts by Jumanoc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2013, 02:53 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2013
451 Posts
Quote:
I will be more careful when I remove the 2 solder points on the main board, which will be required to install the new ESC I have on order. Any tips appreciated.
I would be tempted to leave the circuit board solder joints alone and simply cut the wires a safe distance away from the circuit board. Then splice and solder the new wires to the existing wires and cover with heat shrink tubing.
Zbip57 is offline Find More Posts by Zbip57
Old Jun 09, 2013, 02:53 PM
United States, TX, Montgomery
Joined Aug 2006
1,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by natscape View Post
So what's the status of the Phantom now?
Does she still fly?
NO only get marker ID lights. No control LED, no arming, no anything other then maker lights. donnie
menksters is offline Find More Posts by menksters
Old Jun 09, 2013, 02:57 PM
Ireland
Joined Mar 2013
3,641 Posts
exactly, same a s my idea in prev post, but i prefer to fit bullet connectors for future plug and play. but yes, its the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbip57 View Post
I would be tempted to leave the circuit board solder joints alone and simply cut the wires a safe distance away from the circuit board. Then splice and solder the new wires to the existing wires and cover with heat shrink tubing.
eirlink is online now Find More Posts by eirlink
Old Jun 09, 2013, 02:58 PM
New Boy
United Kingdom, England, Exmouth
Joined Jan 2013
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choopi View Post
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...po%5FPack.html

Thanks, didn't read that the were 2s! I will go for this one unless somebody got suggestion for me.
Good choice.
I use these and get 10 mins flying time out of them.
R1CH is offline Find More Posts by R1CH
Old Jun 09, 2013, 03:00 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flboy286 View Post
Did your battery die in mid-flight?
No, and now with shell open and verifying all connections still dead as a hammer other then marker lights. donnie
Old Jun 09, 2013, 03:06 PM
Up, Up & hopefully away!!
United States, FL, Volusia County
Joined May 2013
1,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by menksters View Post
No, and now with shell open and verifying all connections still dead as a hammer other then marker lights. donnie
I like a mystery, but not at your expense.

Hope HGT or someone with knowledge chimes in soon.
flboy286 is offline Find More Posts by flboy286
Old Jun 09, 2013, 03:09 PM
United States, OH
Joined May 2008
941 Posts
Im sold on the bullet connector idea. Any link to the right type? I don't want bullet connector exposed to each other obviously, as they could short. Are they not insulated at the joint?
gnolivos is offline Find More Posts by gnolivos
Old Jun 09, 2013, 03:15 PM
Ireland
Joined Mar 2013
3,641 Posts
definately need to be insulated. I havent done this mod yet so no link for you but you would need the correct type:

<15A - 2mm bullets

15A to 60A - 3.5mm bullets

>60A - 4mm bullets

Quote:
Im sold on the bullet connector idea. Any link to the right type? I don't want bullet connector exposed to each other obviously, as they could short. Are they not insulated at the joint?
Old Jun 09, 2013, 03:24 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,743 Posts
Quote:
Use heat shrink to insulate them.

- - david
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
Old Jun 09, 2013, 03:28 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,088 Posts
Place a single piece of heat shrink over the 2 connected bullets, this protects them and holds them together.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 09, 2013, 03:43 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2013
96 Posts
Phoo is offline Find More Posts by Phoo
Last edited by Phoo; Jul 12, 2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2013, 03:44 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,236 Posts
So strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
That would be manual mode indication. Did you accidentally flip it to manual mode?
If you don't fly in manual, make sure it is set to ATTI in the assistant. That's what I do to my crafts that I don't fly in manual.
No sir, switch not in manual mode. Yet when I plug into assistant I get the steady green as one should. Unplug assistant light goes out. While in assistant I verified the switch is functioning when operated and it is. All I can imagine at this point is a bad LED control board? Have not heard of any of these ckt. boards failing but am at a loss as to what else it could be... donnie
Old Jun 09, 2013, 03:56 PM
Ireland
Joined Mar 2013
3,641 Posts
Donnie, ive helped a member on here already who had similar issues and it proved to be the LED board . Member was SvP.
he replaced his, however it only comes as part of the main power distribution PCB board. so yes the LED boards can go faulty

i will read over your posts again as im only coming in at the tail end of your issue posts....

Quote:
Originally Posted by menksters View Post
No sir, switch not in manual mode. Yet when I plug into assistant I get the steady green as one should. Unplug assistant light goes out. While in assistant I verified the switch is functioning when operated and it is. All I can imagine at this point is a bad LED control board? Have not heard of any of these ckt. boards failing but am at a loss as to what else it could be... donnie