HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:46 AM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Jan 2012
1,060 Posts
I am pretty sure Chinahbeng got his dampening supplies at Infinity Hobby. I have done business with Infinity before and have nothing but good things to say about this shop.

http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/p...2aa8a7cf2926fd
skipper1 is online now Find More Posts by skipper1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:49 AM
Joined Jul 2006
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper1 View Post
I am pretty sure Chinahbeng got his dampening supplies at Infinity Hobby. I have done business with Infinity before and have nothing but good things to say about this shop.

http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/p...2aa8a7cf2926fd
Hi, I bought the dampening off a local hobby shops in Singapore. However STO (Standard Tech Operations, Inc. is the root manufacturer in Taiwan and I'm sure they supply to all hobby etailers and retailers.

However follow these 3 fundamentals to great raw video footage.
1) Balance your props to remove micro / very fine vibrations

2) Mount your camera lower (move it away from electronics such as esc, power line, etc) this will reduce jello effects. see pix from my earlier post.

3) Set the correct gains for Pitch, Roll and Vertical to reduce 'see-saw' horizontal effects. (125 for pitch roll and vertical is a good default for no-camera Phantom). Push Pitch, Roll and Vertical to 145-150 for better on camera flight stability.
chinahbeng is offline Find More Posts by chinahbeng
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:56 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinahbeng View Post
Hi, I bought the dampening off a local hobby shops in Singapore. However STO (Standard Tech Operations, Inc. is the root manufacturer in Taiwan and I'm sure they supply to all hobby etailers and retailers.

However follow these 3 fundamentals to great raw video footage.
1) Balance your props to remove micro / very fine vibrations

2) Mount your camera lower (move it away from electronics such as esc, power line, etc) this will reduce jello effects. see pix from my earlier post.

3) Set the correct gains for Pitch, Roll and Vertical to reduce 'see-saw' horizontal effects. (125 for pitch roll and vertical is a good default for no-camera Phantom). Push Pitch, Roll and Vertical to 145-150 for better on camera flight stability.
Yes STO, they DO come up with some very clever things. I had received a news letter from Infinity showing the dampening tools you use and their videos were great. I am very impressed with your results.
I don't have a Phantom yet, I am just trying to keep up with this thread and learn before getting one. And, any changes DJI might make in the coming weeks.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:40 AM
Joined Jul 2006
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper1 View Post
Yes STO, they DO come up with some very clever things. I had received a news letter from Infinity showing the dampening tools you use and their videos were great. I am very impressed with your results.
I don't have a Phantom yet, I am just trying to keep up with this thread and learn before getting one. And, any changes DJI might make in the coming weeks.
The Phantom is a great quad for gentle, line-of-sight flying and vid capture. unlike the bigger multi rotors it's quite a challenge taming this quad for good stable video.

So here're a couple tips to fly and shoot with this quad.

1) Take off, Fly and Shoot in Manual Altitude Mode

2) Switch over to GPS only when you lose orientation. (for me it's flicking to GPS and the IOC home lock.

3) Try NOT to use GPS to fly and shoot (at least not for me). Why not? Cos GPS mode tends to keep the quad lock into position. What I want is to let the wind carry and glide this baby.

Use a little Aileron or Elevator to push the quad a little and let the forward or side momentum glide the quad.

You will see point 3 in action in the Temple Video I shot.
chinahbeng is offline Find More Posts by chinahbeng
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:44 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampdoria View Post
Thanks for the information tomorrow morning I will try it.

Couple questions:
When you say NEXT: Push the two switch up. what exactly are you referring to? The two sticks? The ATTI/GPS switch?

4)one yellow: The GPS is not working. Check the compass cable and repower phantom.

Where is the compass cable?
The two switch is the flight mode switch on the right. What they are saying is switch the mode to GPS. It is the flat cable that is coming out of the bottom front of the Phantom opposite the receiver antenna.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: DJI Accessory Pin Out
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:59 AM
Joined Jan 2013
69 Posts
Being a newbie this may not make sense, but thought I'd ask anyway.
If i'm trying to provide dampening for my gopro, would it not be easy to use something like this (from the post above)

bolted on where the current gopro mount goes (2 screws) then attaching a plate (like the one from the gopro packaging)

screwed into the damper thingys then just attach the gopro to that? It seems if the silicone dampening things make a difference in "jello free" video then that would be adequate? (balancing props etc assumed).
Being new to this, I haven't ever fabricated any type of mount, it just seems simple to accomplish if we can assume the silicone things work.
leatherlips is offline Find More Posts by leatherlips
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:27 AM
I DESIGN QUADCOPTERS
Joined Apr 2012
778 Posts
I think It now a good time we see replacement parts
if you cant repare it what the point of buying it?
saskya is online now Find More Posts by saskya
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:37 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherlips View Post
Being a newbie this may not make sense, but thought I'd ask anyway.
If i'm trying to provide dampening for my gopro, would it not be easy to use something like this (from the post above)

bolted on where the current gopro mount goes (2 screws) then attaching a plate (like the one from the gopro packaging)

screwed into the damper thingys then just attach the gopro to that? It seems if the silicone dampening things make a difference in "jello free" video then that would be adequate? (balancing props etc assumed).
Being new to this, I haven't ever fabricated any type of mount, it just seems simple to accomplish if we can assume the silicone things work.
What I was thinking was to use set screws into the female screws holes on the Phantom then screw on the damper and now you can screw the Phantom camera mount into the damper. It might be a trial and error figuring out which degree of damper works best. I think Infinity carries 3 or 4 different degrees.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:48 AM
Joined Jul 2011
654 Posts
I suggest beginners shooting videos when you flying or doing installation.
You can post your videos when you encounter some failures.
It is a better way to express your puzzle.
Many experienced friends will be glad to help you out.
DJI INNOVATIONS is offline Find More Posts by DJI INNOVATIONS
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:28 PM
Joined Dec 2012
176 Posts
Dji could you make optional, better quality propellers 8" - carbon fibre or similar?
jowek is offline Find More Posts by jowek
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:30 PM
milwaukee wi usa
Joined Nov 2000
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskya View Post
I think It now a good time we see replacement parts
if you cant repare it what the point of buying it?
are spares available??
rbtgold is offline Find More Posts by rbtgold
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:55 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Mar 2012
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinahbeng View Post
Here's another vid. It's shot at 720p 60fps using Hero3 Black using oil damper (ie camera mounted upside down), then converted to 480p 30fps so that I can quickly upload to Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA4PcQ1wtNE
what was used to post stabilize the video? what software. Video is very smooth. you should re-post at high resolution to show camera full capability.
red1one is offline Find More Posts by red1one
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:57 PM
United Kingdom, England, Birkenhead
Joined Dec 2012
107 Posts
Had another fun flight today. scary over water

DJI Phantom Pleasure Flight over the River Dee (4 min 8 sec)
Wheels_UK is offline Find More Posts by Wheels_UK
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:25 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Nieuwerkerk aan den IJssel
Joined Jan 2013
24 Posts
It's nice to see that most people tolerate this flying thing :-) Allthough you need to be very carefull. I will avoid flying over or near people. Don't want anyone getting hurt because of a stupid mistake.
DJ41 is offline Find More Posts by DJ41
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:26 PM
Needs more bacon!
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jan 2011
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherlips View Post
Be Careful, that plastic can get brittle in extreme cold. I used the plastic from my Hero 2 a few years ago on my copter and during winter got a few cracks just from normal handling. It doesn't have that much structural integrity as its just used to show off the gopro.
Dolby is online now Find More Posts by Dolby
RCG Plus Member