HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:24 PM
Joined Jan 2013
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
It would no doubt help. Aluminum tube or even small wooden dowel would work as well.

The Phantom skids are high and narrow to keep them out of camera view I suspect was the design decision.
yeah i was thinking the same but for newb's it would probably help and then once there confident in taking off/landing then they could easily remove them!!

its just my thinking is that after reading quite a few post on here and elsewhere about the phantom topples over or goes this way or that way on take off etc
" i think its broken and should return it"
that most is down to user inexperience, everyone's got to start somewhere I realise that but I think people think because it has gps/compass that it should just take off straight up and stay there without moving,

when i started in heli's about 10 years ago training skids were a must and I'm sure they would help folk get more confident in landing/taking off it they werent fearful of it toppling over so easily.
rudeboy78 is offline Find More Posts by rudeboy78
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:03 PM
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion but it still isn't working consistently. Guess it is going back.
KirbyLewis is offline Find More Posts by KirbyLewis
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:11 PM
Joined Nov 2010
687 Posts
im scared now, wife after two days talking about it has said i can get one....
i must be missing something.
yippie with reservations
boxhead530 is offline Find More Posts by boxhead530
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:20 PM
Forensic Animation/Video/Photo
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Nov 2011
558 Posts
I whipped up an FPV setup for the Phantom today. The Iftron Stinger Pro transmitter is extremely lightweight and small so it works well inside the housing.
vislaw is offline Find More Posts by vislaw
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:01 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Another not to do video .... 1) out of range, 2) landing zone is not too ideal. Can't expect pinpoint landing. If Nasa can't do it Naza won't be neither.
Crashed on the roof, "Phantom crashed" all over .....

DJI Phantom Failsafe (4 min 22 sec)
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:04 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyp2013 View Post
Hi,

There were no fast flashing lights and I had recently connected it up and everything appeared to be as expected.
Sounds like you had it in manual mode but still, why did you fly it if there were no lights indicating boot-up and GPS lock?
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:23 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampdoria View Post
Can you explain this?: " You do however, have to go there to activate the IOC controls."

I have it right now as OFF. My understanding was that I should not use CL or HL.

Also I think something happened to my GPS because even in GPS mode it shows mode: ATTI. Anyone knows how to fix it?
Personally I think that Course Lock is a great help for a new user as long as the copter is in front of you. If it gets behind you then all controls are reversed. As far as you GPS there is no travel adjustments in the Tx to adjust the end points. Have you looked at what is happening in Assistant?
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:23 PM
Joined Jan 2013
68 Posts
My wee FPV blast from my back garden, yes i know I'm going to get the haters for doing this but I was fully under control and know what I'm doing so like or dislike your call but I had fun,,,
Will say to those that seen my phantom FPV how to video, the lens protector from rage cams i mentioned is on in this video and it will now be getting removed as you can see it in the video, wasnt so obvious in the goggles, not good!!!!
I'll need to find a better solution for my optic cable mounting, looking at the layer lens from getfpv.

DJI Phantom FPV Garden Blast (4 min 24 sec)
rudeboy78 is offline Find More Posts by rudeboy78
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:25 PM
Joined Jul 2011
667 Posts
to beginners

About the compass calibration:
First: You need to confirm the GPS is working. Follow my steps.
1step: Go outside and put phantom on a broad field where no houses no iron materials and open.
2 step:
Pull down your throttle stick if needed.
NEXT: Push the two switch up.
NEXT:Power on your transmitter.
(Remember don't touch any sticks when you power on the transmitter. Otherwise phantom will fly to a side when you take it off. )
NEXT:Power on phantom and wait for maybe 2 minutes, the fast flashing yellow LED disappears. After that you will see:

1)one green: It is in GPS mode and the satellites is good enough.
2)red leds after one green: It is in GPS mode but the satellites is not good enough.
3)yellow+red yellow red...:Never mind before you calibrate the compass. If the leds disappears when you lift your phantom up, there maybe iron materials around. Move to another place till it disappear.

Both of these tell you the GPS is working.

4)one yellow: The GPS is not working. Check the compass cable and repower phantom.
5)fast flashing green: you need connect to the assistant and see page "tools". Put phantom level and stable. Check the value of gyroscope and accleration: Gyroscope should be near 0,0,0 and acceleration should be near 0,0,-1. Do basic cali following the instruction of the assistant. After that the fast flashing green will disappears. (If you move phantom before take off, you will get fast flashing green. It is OK.) Redo the above sequense.
6)red-green-yellow: error! Don't fly and contact your shop.

Second: On condition of GPS is working, toggle the GPS/ATTI switch six to ten times.
Not too fast!
If the constant yellow led comes out, you can calibrate the compass. If not, try toggle again.
DJI INNOVATIONS is offline Find More Posts by DJI INNOVATIONS
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:32 PM
Joined Dec 2012
139 Posts
Scared S***less!

Thanks to all for a great forum! my first post, so please bear with my total lack of knowledge! So far, the Phantom has lived up to expectations, and I find it so much easier to fly than the mQx I've been 'training' on for the last two months while waiting for my Phantom. I'm now faced with updating the IOC via the assistant. I have read the manual, followed all the posts dealing with the update, but I'm still concerned I'll screw it up somehow. Are there any complete step by step instructions with screenshots to walk mental midgets like myself thru the process so I don't turn it into a tiny white rototiller?
30sbound is offline Find More Posts by 30sbound
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:44 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
New flyers have been purchasing and crashing aerial RC devices for years.. The DJI Phantom will not change that. With all of its abilities and as a 40+ year flyer, I will say it comes as close to flying itself as anything I have experienced. With as much technology as there is they could be software step driven. That is, until you complete a simple task, it doesn't unlock the next feature. Manual mode is going to sell a lot of spare parts for those that shouldn't be flying in it.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:33 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
New flyers have been purchasing and crashing aerial RC devices for years.. The DJI Phantom will not change that.
@HighGain agree, but interestingly, technology support today, take these flyers to significant higher heights than it was possible to get with out a lot of expensive experience 40 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
With as much technology as there is they could be software step driven. That is, until you complete a simple task, it doesn't unlock the next feature..
NOW That is simply brilliant, DJI should incorporate that idea and give you royalties for this. !
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:42 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyp2013 View Post
Have you already made adjustments with the Naza assistant?

This is what I see and hear in the video.... any one else agree?

I hear NO start-up. It goes straight to an aggressive lift off which is possible in (Immediate throttle cut off type) rather than (intelligent cut off type) I also hear at 07 seconds the aggressive throttle shutter of manual mode. ATTI/GPS and ATTI are much smoother then that. The tilt angles are also aggressive as in manual mode flight.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:54 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post

NOW That is simply brilliant, DJI should incorporate that idea and give you royalties for this. !
I don't think this would be all that annoying for experienced pilots to get through. It might take a few minutes.

Unlock 1. Prove you can turn on and off the equipment in order.
Unlock 2. Prove you can keep your hands off the quad until it initializes
Unlock 3. Prove you can lift off and maintain a hover in a certain height and radius. (pretty easy for the GPS to monitor this and it can auto land you until you do)
Unlock 4. Prove you can rotate CW and CCW
Unlock 5. Prove you can fly a simple designated course

You get the picture...
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:15 PM
Joined Nov 2012
48 Posts
In the Assistant is shows ATTI mode but on the TX I have it set to GPS...

Is there any way to change it in the assistant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
Personally I think that Course Lock is a great help for a new user as long as the copter is in front of you. If it gets behind you then all controls are reversed. As far as you GPS there is no travel adjustments in the Tx to adjust the end points. Have you looked at what is happening in Assistant?
sampdoria is offline Find More Posts by sampdoria