HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:05 PM
Joined Jan 2013
22 Posts
For the few flights I have had with the hero black on, I haven't really seen the jello that other people are reporting. I'm not sure if its the reason but I never used the mount and just attached the waterproof gopro case directly to the phantom case upside down and flipped the video.

Will prob get told that's wrong but the hero3 is too small for the mount that's included.
mattyp2013 is offline Find More Posts by mattyp2013
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:11 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,270 Posts
Matty,

I used the waterproof housing that you used in my first flights with the GP3. Then I got the "Frame" that GoPro sells. I think that the housing is too heavy and I like the performance of the Phantom with the lighter mount. It is very similar to the OEM mount. I have gotten very little jello in my videos as well. But I shoot at 1080p and 60fps in Medium FOV. I have also used 1440 at 48fps. Both work well.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:19 PM
Joined Jan 2013
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
Matty,

I used the waterproof housing that you used in my first flights with the GP3. Then I got the "Frame" that GoPro sells. I think that the housing is too heavy and I like the performance of the Phantom with the lighter mount. It is very similar to the OEM mount. I have gotten very little jello in my videos as well. But I shoot at 1080p and 60fps in Medium FOV. I have also used 1440 at 48fps. Both work well.
I had looked at the frame and was considering it but I am glad I didn't as I don't think the hero would have come out of that crash so well. Maybe when I have a bit more experience I can use it with a bit less protection. I was in the process of trying all the resolutions and frame rates just to see which works out best and was up to 1440 and all seemed fine.

I also cant believe how cheap the spares are for the Phantom, its almost asking me to crash (as long as its not in water). e.g. replacement landing gear is only £4, which may be normal but I was expecting more like £40 even though its essentially a bit of plastic. It looks as good as new again now, just need to find another gopro mount which didn't appear to be on the spares list I had seen.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:24 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,270 Posts
Just use the mount that came with the GoPro. Measure the distance between the holes, drill them and stick it on. You can use screws or not. Mine came with extra screws in the kit.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:25 PM
Joined Jan 2013
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
Just use the mount that came with the GoPro. Measure the distance between the holes, drill them and stick it on. You can use screws or not. Mine came with extra screws in the kit.
Oh yeah, durr. Cheers
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:57 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
282 Posts
Does anyone know when the replacement parts will be available? I wanted to get another shell to get painted by my auto race shop painter...
kazkioken is offline Find More Posts by kazkioken
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:02 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
I have been flying for 6 years; still learning. There is so much involved .... yeah, it is getting easier than ever before.
Once you get comfortable in all orientation without IOC, do it in Atti without GPS, then fly in manual mode. Then, hang the GoPro on.
By then, you will pick up the need for prop balance, and paying attention to video quality and alike.
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:45 PM
Joined Jan 2013
44 Posts
While I'm waiting for my battery to charge I put this together.

I know the subject matter is quite dull, but I wanted to see a comparison of the video modes. First is 1080p/60fps, then wvga 120fps, then 720p/60fps. I put a few pics in at the end too.

I'm interested to see how much things change, if at all, on a calmer day.

Here it is:
http://youtu.be/lDmP0xACPYs
Kcraig99 is offline Find More Posts by Kcraig99
Last edited by Kcraig99; Jan 12, 2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:49 PM
Joined Nov 2012
48 Posts
I had my first ever flight with the original battery it went pretty smooth. Then I put in the extra battery I bought and I had my first crash... It was pretty bad I am glad the Hero3 was not on the quad.

Since my crash my aircraft lifts and in GPS mode flies to the right and eventually crashes... I cannot seem to be able to control it anymore.

Anyone has any idea...?
sampdoria is offline Find More Posts by sampdoria
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:00 PM
Joined Jan 2013
68 Posts
check your props, recalibrate your compass, after any crash these are things that must be done, I would also plug it into the assistant software and check that everything is as it should be
rudeboy78 is offline Find More Posts by rudeboy78
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:12 PM
Joined Nov 2012
48 Posts
Thanks for the advice!

How do I plug it into the assistant software? Also how do I check the props? One of them seems to be bent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeboy78 View Post
check your props, recalibrate your compass, after any crash these are things that must be done, I would also plug it into the assistant software and check that everything is as it should be
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:20 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampdoria View Post
Thanks for the advice!

How do I plug it into the assistant software? Also how do I check the props? One of them seems to be bent...
If it seems bent then it no doubt is I would suspect. By seems bent what do you mean exactly? Post a pic and we can take a look to confirm.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:22 PM
Joined Dec 2012
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyp2013 View Post
For the few flights I have had with the hero black on, I haven't really seen the jello that other people are reporting. I'm not sure if its the reason but I never used the mount and just attached the waterproof gopro case directly to the phantom case upside down and flipped the video.

Will prob get told that's wrong but the hero3 is too small for the mount that's included.
Matty,

Yes i'm starting to see You Tube vids coming out with that assumption, Go Pro's in their housing, direct to the Phantom flip the video and getting acceptable Jello free footage. Seems the casing absorbing the vibration. Waiting for mine to turn up "down under" so will be doing different tests on this. Yes balance props, props props props ...
Stevo42 is offline Find More Posts by Stevo42
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:31 PM
Joined Jan 2013
68 Posts
dude!!!!! all the info you need is in this thread, the assistant software can be downloaded from the DJI site along with the manual, i suggest you read it, also do a search on youtube for prop balancing there's loads.....

come on guys, not having a go but just because these things are ready to fly doesn't mean you can!! do a little research first and learn about this sort of stuff, it'll save you money and do you good to know what your getting into!!!
rudeboy78 is offline Find More Posts by rudeboy78
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:34 PM
Joined Nov 2012
48 Posts
When it turns it touches the the main body so I think it is a fair assumption that is bent... Should I toss it and buy a new one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
If it seems bent then it no doubt is I would suspect. By seems bent what do you mean exactly? Post a pic and we can take a look to confirm.