SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:43 PM
Joined Jan 2013
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosem View Post
Matty, glad you got it back, even with some damages.. .
NEVER fly in HL unless you are in an emergency situation an even though be very careful because the GPS can always loose contact with one or more satellites, meaning you'll have to suddenly fly her manually which is not an easy task..
What happened to your GoPro?
Was it naked or protected?
Thanks.

Ah right, I don't think I fully understood its purpose then. I was only going to hover and take some vid of the house but it just kept going further away.

The gopro was in the waterproof housing so is fine, pretty rugged in those things.
mattyp2013 is offline Find More Posts by mattyp2013
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:47 PM
Former IAF pilot. Retired
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Apr 2012
780 Posts
Sad video...
Yes, props and other spares parts are already available in Europe.

EDIT: well, at least you won't have to replace the Hero3 blades! :--))
kosem is offline Find More Posts by kosem
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:50 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyp2013 View Post
Thanks.

Ah right, I don't think I fully understood its purpose then. I was only going to hover and take some vid of the house but it just kept going further away.

The gopro was in the waterproof housing so is fine, pretty rugged in those things.
You should not attempt to fly with a GoPro attached untill you can actually fly it in all orientations without problems.
Learn to fly 1st and then learn to film from the sky not the other way around.
As DJI said get in an open area.
I can see you had a fence right where you took off.

Untill you can fly it well stay between 8'-15' or so high.
If you lose orientation flip to HL and move the stick opposite the throttle down and it will fly right back to you but make sure your throttle is 1/2 way 1st or it will also climb or fall depending on where the throttle is.
Watch the DJI vids as they will help alot.
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:50 PM
United Kingdom, England, Runcorn
Joined Apr 2003
38 Posts
User error I think???

Mine works flawlessly... Can't understand why people are finding it difficult to fly, these things practically fly themselves.....
peterg is offline Find More Posts by peterg
Last edited by peterg; Jan 12, 2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:59 PM
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Apr 2012
780 Posts
Someone said previously that DJI sell RTF products but not RTF pilots.
Wiser words in this thread IMO!
There's a mandatory learning curve with any quad and even more when equipped with NAZA and GPS.

So no, they don't "practically fly themselves" when you're a beginner, you fly them with a parachute, that's something else.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:03 PM
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Karup
Joined Aug 2012
254 Posts
Until youre very good fly without home lock and make sure the craft is pointing with nose away from you so the sticks make it go the way you expect, thats what i did for long time until i got better at it, as the others said dont use HL unless in an emergency if its going away from you and you cant make the orientation. Also when power on wait (mine takes about 1-3mins) until it flashes slow green- green - green, and use GPS mode at all times this will make it not drift away much and stay where you easily can control it. Sorry for your misfortune... If you really dont want it anymore write me a PM, i would like one more.
vartaz is offline Find More Posts by vartaz
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:09 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,759 Posts
Kosem, If approached with the proper attitude and a little knowledge, they do almost fly themselves. I have used the Naza multiple times to introduce "never evers" to our sport. It is not rocket science. It does take a little patience and not thinking that you will fly like Worthox out of the box. I cannot tell you how many times I crashed trying to learn on a quad with a KK board. The Naza with GPS is entirely different than anything else out in the market. You have seen the kids flying these, one was 19 months old.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:14 PM
Joined Jan 2013
44 Posts

Well this thread had me semi worried. I bought my phantom the other day and I have zero RC experience. I am an avid gopro user and just thought this phantom was a must have.

Opened and put it together last night. Could not have been easier. Had first flight today and it was Awesome! Very easy to fly.

It is very windy today. Solid 15mph with heavier gusts. If I can fly it today I have no worries going forward. First vid I shot in 1080/30fps. Jello is an understatement. This vid I shot in wvga120fps. A little better.

Check it out:
Dji phantom GoPro hd (3 min 57 sec)

Kris
Kcraig99 is offline Find More Posts by Kcraig99
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:14 PM
Joined Jun 2012
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyp2013 View Post

If I took off too slowly it just tips over and damages the props
Yup! If you slowly take off, you will end up tipping it. You've got to punch it to take off successfully. The HL mode was your secondary ( and fatal) problem.
kyle925 is offline Find More Posts by kyle925
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:21 PM
Joined Jan 2013
22 Posts
Ah well, lessons learnt. Need more patience and must not use the HL mode in the way that I did!

Upon closer inspection, the only casualty appears to be the camera mount (just the white plastic part). Goes to show how durable the Phantom is! Lost some screws which made the landing gear look distorted but its fine.

With regards to learning to fly without the gopro on first, is it not easier to learn once with it on from the beginning rather than learning twice?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:28 PM
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Apr 2012
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
Kosem, If approached with the proper attitude and a little knowledge, they do almost fly themselves. I have used the Naza multiple times to introduce "never evers" to our sport. It is not rocket science. It does take a little patience and not thinking that you will fly like Worthox out of the box. I cannot tell you how many times I crashed trying to learn on a quad with a KK board. The Naza with GPS is entirely different than anything else out in the market. You have seen the kids flying these, one was 19 months old.
Sure Ed.
I just wanted to emphasize that even if you can rely on the electronics and computerized navigation systems you should always begin with the basis in this hobby IMHO (Hovering, Forward flights, Patterns). And I'm a bit afraid that because of the hype around the (fantastic) Phantom, lot of new folks will pass through this step and make mistakes.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:35 PM
Joined Jan 2013
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosem View Post
Sure Ed.
I just wanted to emphasize that even if you can rely on the electronics and computerized navigation systems you should always begin with the basis in this hobby IMHO (Hovering, Forward flights, Patterns). And I'm a bit afraid that because of the hype around the (fantastic) Phantom, lot of new folks will pass through this step and make mistakes.
Folks like me
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:36 PM
Joined Jun 2012
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcraig99 View Post
. I bought my phantom the other day and I have zero RC experience. Could not have been easier. Had first flight today and it was Awesome! Very easy to fly.
Nice flying. But I would probably practice some more (low flying ) and test the Phantom in every scenario as possible. You were really way up there on your video. Once you're up there and if things go wrong, it is a hairy experience cuz aside from losing an expensive investment, the risk of hurting somebody is worse. I am an mid experienced flyer but I still cringe to be that high. But well done!
kyle925 is offline Find More Posts by kyle925
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:41 PM
Joined Jan 2013
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle925 View Post
Nice flying. But I would probably practice some more (low flying ) and test the Phantom in every scenario as possible. You were really way up there on your video. Once you're up there and if things go wrong, it is a hairy experience cuz aside from losing an expensive investment, the risk of hurting somebody is worse. I am an mid experienced flyer but I still cringe to be that high. But well done!
I don't disagree. First flight I didn't go over about 10 feet. Ran some patterns, got a good feel. I was feeling comfortable on the 2nd flight so I went up there. I can't wait to keep flying and gain some experience. This is a terrific machine(not that I have anything to compare it to)
Kcraig99 is offline Find More Posts by Kcraig99
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:56 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,759 Posts
@Kosem & Matty

Those/You are the folks that the Phantom was made for. Yes it does not guarantee ready to fly pilots but they will be able to progress quickly using the tools that the Phantom provides. I remember in College when calculators first came out. Some professors banned them as an unfair advantage and would only allow slide rulers. I know that dates me. But I see it the same way with the current generation of controllers. Use every tool that is available. I do and I am not ashamed of doing so. When I first started to fly planes, I bought a really nice P51 trainer. When I took it to the field an old timer looked at it and said that the pre-tuned motor needed to have all the stuff taken off of it. He then proceeded to tune it by "ear". It has never performed as well since. I fly better when I have time to fly my Helicopters. I suck at it but it gives me much finer stick movements and the ability to anticipate what the copter is going to do. "Fly the disc." Users will progress as they deem necessary. Some will learn how to fly in manual and all orientations, others will be happy to fly around in GPS all the time. The Phantom gives them options.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800