HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:19 AM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,859 Posts
Mine keep "red-lighting-out" around 12 min. that really is a great flight time.
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:27 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
Mine keep "red-lighting-out" around 12 min. that really is a great flight time.
How much are you putting back into your batteries. My guess is that it is more than 80% of their capacity. If so you are over discharging your lipos.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:55 AM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,859 Posts
@Ed. I normally fly on the clock and land after the 7min buzz. I red-lighted twice which were 11:05 and 12:00 all 3s 2200mah batteries seems OK. I figure the gimbal will be flying a bit shorter. ;-)
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:14 AM
United Kingdom, England, Birkenhead
Joined Dec 2012
107 Posts
Awesome work on the gimbal Bo!
Wheels_UK is offline Find More Posts by Wheels_UK
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:53 AM
Joined Dec 2012
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
How much are you putting back into your batteries. My guess is that it is more than 80% of their capacity. If so you are over discharging your lipos.
There are many things which I dont know yet
Discharging (using) battery too much can damage battery? How too recognise best (healthy) moment to land?
jowek is offline Find More Posts by jowek
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:05 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
YES YES YES - 2 axis gimbal test number 1 = 100% success..!

Lots of things need to be improved. response is not right.
need to fix the mount so it can use the screws DJI installed in the Phantom
etc etc etc.. but its working.

Here is a quick test. video is available for download on vimeo if you want to toss it on your favorite flavor of video stabilizer software.

PS sorry about the light, its a bit dark in LA right now.

Feast your eyes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDq6P...ature=youtu.be

and a quick blurry-cam shot of the working concept flying tonight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkckUIMCK9s

https://vimeo.com/56967178
Nice. Jakubs lunar lander gimbal was my first thought as well, I have one left in stock I will have to try as well and ill order more in if this works well.

Does the gimbal still have enough clearance from the ground with the stock legs?
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Last edited by flitelab; Jan 08, 2013 at 05:44 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:35 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
Oh come on. Buy a bunch of $5 LiPo's from HK, fly and if you wear out the batteries earlier than normal...just buy some more $5 packs from HK and keep flying!!!!
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:40 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Oh come on. Buy a bunch of $5 LiPo's from HK, fly and if you wear out the batteries earlier than normal...just buy some more $5 packs from HK and keep flying!!!!
Van, you are right. I just bought 5 4S lipos for $9.99 per pack. I plan to fly them until they puff to the point that I cannot put them into the Phantom.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:44 AM
Joined Jan 2013
22 Posts
Complete noob

Hi,

I am a complete amateur with no experience whatsoever of multicopters but went with an impulse buy (to go with the Hero3 I have) of the Phantom.

It arrived today so the box was ripped open with minutes and I had everything put together (nothing complicated) within 5 mins. Then it was thumb twiddling time to wait for the battery to charge..

Quick scan of the manual and a compass calibration and I was ready to go First attempt, took off and it shot sideways into a rose bush. Took it well though and I was expecting the worst but quite robust.

Wind was gusting at about 15/ms so not ideal but I only wanted a quick hover. Anyway, waited for it to calm down a bit and tried again but started it in atti mode this time. Straight up with no problems, able to get my bearings and try the basics for about 7 mins just before it started to rain.

All in all I think it was a good purchase as I wanted to get into the hobby but wanted a simple way to learn the basics which this seems to do perfectly.

Only issue I have had is that the drivers wouldn't install on a win 8 machine (doesn't have UK English as a setting in the XML but added it and it ran). Even after running it always fails so unable to connect atm to check the firmware etc.

Will have a bit more practice before attaching the gopro but will post some vids of my noob attempts.

Thanks

Matt
mattyp2013 is offline Find More Posts by mattyp2013
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:41 AM
I AM SOFA KING WE TODD DID
United States, CA, Ben Lomond
Joined Mar 2011
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowek View Post
There are many things which I dont know yet
Discharging (using) battery too much can damage battery? How too recognise best (healthy) moment to land?
I use a kitchen timer which I purchased for $1. You could use your iphone like Wheels UK did in his FPV video ealier in this thread. (Great job by the way Wheels!)
wavekatcher is offline Find More Posts by wavekatcher
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:03 AM
Joined Dec 2012
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavekatcher View Post
I use a kitchen timer which I purchased for $1. You could use your iphone like Wheels UK did in his FPV video ealier in this thread. (Great job by the way Wheels!)
yes I know how to measure time but what is max healthy time and how you know it?
jowek is offline Find More Posts by jowek
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:15 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,961 Posts
I use one of these for transmitters without a timer. Clips on your shirt or belt. Works fine and counts down the last minute in 10 second blocks.
Gary

http://www.amazon.com/Different-Road.../dp/B001BZ39VK
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:45 AM
United Kingdom, England, Runcorn
Joined Apr 2003
38 Posts
Battery and Charger Manual now on line

http://www.dji-innovations.com/produ...tom/downloads/
peterg is offline Find More Posts by peterg
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:23 PM
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
Nice talking timer model ($5.99 shipped USA.)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Martial-Arts...item2326c2bd0f

Barnboy
Barnboy is offline Find More Posts by Barnboy
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:28 PM
Former IAF pilot. Retired
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Apr 2012
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyp2013 View Post
Hi,

I am a complete amateur with no experience whatsoever of multicopters but went with an impulse buy (to go with the Hero3 I have) of the Phantom.

It arrived today so the box was ripped open with minutes and I had everything put together (nothing complicated) within 5 mins. Then it was thumb twiddling time to wait for the battery to charge..

Quick scan of the manual and a compass calibration and I was ready to go First attempt, took off and it shot sideways into a rose bush. Took it well though and I was expecting the worst but quite robust.

Wind was gusting at about 15/ms so not ideal but I only wanted a quick hover. Anyway, waited for it to calm down a bit and tried again but started it in atti mode this time. Straight up with no problems, able to get my bearings and try the basics for about 7 mins just before it started to rain.

All in all I think it was a good purchase as I wanted to get into the hobby but wanted a simple way to learn the basics which this seems to do perfectly.

Only issue I have had is that the drivers wouldn't install on a win 8 machine (doesn't have UK English as a setting in the XML but added it and it ran). Even after running it always fails so unable to connect atm to check the firmware etc.

Will have a bit more practice before attaching the gopro but will post some vids of my noob attempts.

Thanks

Matt
Welcome Matt and enjoy your new toy! You did the right choice with the Phantom.
But be aware that this hobby is VERY addictive and that from now you'll have to be VERY kind with your GF (or wife)!
kosem is offline Find More Posts by kosem