SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:44 AM
Joined Nov 2012
48 Posts
I appreciate your answer! As I am new with no assembly or flying experience other than an ArDrone 2.0 it may be the next step.

Would you have any other recommendation, what else should I look into? I have checked out so far the QAV500, the TBS Disco, this latter one looks great but it cannot use the GoPro Hero 3 I have got.
sampdoria is offline Find More Posts by sampdoria
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:02 AM
Australia, QLD, Gatton
Joined Jan 2007
931 Posts
Gopro3 should work with TBS discovery. Maybe try an f450 combo and upgrade the frame to the TBS disco once you get the hang of things.
danger_mouse is offline Find More Posts by danger_mouse
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:11 AM
Joined Nov 2012
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danger_mouse View Post
Gopro3 should work with TBS discovery. Maybe try an f450 combo and upgrade the frame to the TBS disco once you get the hang of things.
I would like to take the quad on trips with me. Do you have any experience with travelling with the QUAD?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:43 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,698 Posts
I travel with mine all the time. I have a computer backpack. The notebook and F450 without props goes in the back pocket, the Tx in the middle pocket and the lipos in the front. I take it through security and have never had a problem.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:56 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
I personally find that the biggest obstacle is not the quad, but the transmitter. There are so many switches and whatnot that can get damaged in transit, not to mention the gimbals. I have no idea how I can fit a quad, Tx, all the lipos and FPV gear + laptop, clothes, toothpaste, contacts etc inside the hand luggage. I always travel light.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:03 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,698 Posts
I have a rolling back pack for the rest of the stuff.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:08 AM
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,846 Posts
Okay, we have the Phantom and have been playing with it. It was an early prototype version so we didn't have the Lipo or charger.

It comes with Naza/GPS and TX all configured, nothing to do but take out of box and go fly. Its is one cool, strong setup for go pro and FPV and most importantly no setup and ready to fly. Love the led's, Battery compartment and simple rigid go pro mount. It will be real hard to beat this package for the price.

It will sell for $679 (with free 2 day shipping from us of course). We will have our shipment before Xmas (mid Dec, I hope).

Note: Personally for that price, performance, no setup and everything included it IS a game changer for the market. They will end being at mall kiosks before you know it.
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:24 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVProducts View Post
Okay, we have the Phantom and have been playing with it. It was an early prototype version so we didn't have the Lipo or charger.

It comes with Naza/GPS and TX all configured, nothing to do but take out of box and go fly. Its is one cool, strong setup for go pro and FPV and most importantly no setup and ready to fly. Love the led's, Battery compartment and simple rigid go pro mount. It will be real hard to beat this package for the price.

It will sell for $679 (with free 2 day shipping from us of course). We will have our shipment before Xmas (mid Dec, I hope).

Note: Personally for that price, performance, no setup and everything included it IS a game changer for the market. They will end being at mall kiosks before you know it.
Cool wouldn't mind seeing some high res close up photos.
Want to see frame cover thickness how strong it is. Would you say this quad can be flown safely in heavy rain if taped up the breathing holes?
hexa is offline Find More Posts by hexa
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:58 PM
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexa View Post
Cool wouldn't mind seeing some high res close up photos.
Want to see frame cover thickness how strong it is. Would you say this quad can be flown safely in heavy rain if taped up the breathing holes?
I guess its possible but the motors would still get wet I would think.

Its a strong frame. Plastic, but still the monocoque design is nice for strength. Its a solid unit for sure.
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:14 PM
Joined Nov 2012
8 Posts
we will see

Quote:

Its a strong frame. Plastic, but still the monocoque design is nice for strength. Its a solid unit for sure.

Well guys, we will see in few weeks. Use Gopro Hero3 and show off.
tauterman is offline Find More Posts by tauterman
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:05 PM
Port Coquitlam, BC CANADA
Joined Jun 2009
2,084 Posts
Okay! So does the Tx incorporate a timer?

Quote:
Okay, we have the Phantom and have been playing with it.
Stumblebee is offline Find More Posts by Stumblebee
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:08 PM
Port Coquitlam, BC CANADA
Joined Jun 2009
2,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexa View Post
. Would you say this quad can be flown safely in heavy rain if taped up the breathing holes?
I would suspect that taping up all the "breathing holes" would really screw up the Naza barometric pressure functions.
Stumblebee is offline Find More Posts by Stumblebee
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:10 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,036 Posts
Quote:

Water is not an issue on brushless motors. All the other waterproof multistage have exposed motors. Main issue to watch for is corrosion.

I have a couple phantoms on order. Should be a nice rtf setup for beginners to the hobby assuming quality is good.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:26 PM
Joined Nov 2012
48 Posts
Phantom

How much will be extra batteries for this unit?

and knowing that this is probably a dumb question but how can I see what the Hero 3 sees on the ground?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:29 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,036 Posts
There is no fpv gear as part of the bundle. You could add a 3rd party or perhaps dji will have one in the works. Should be a standard 3s2200 lipo. More details once people get them more in hand in a few weeks no doubt.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor