Old Mar 22, 2013, 08:12 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
5,032 Posts
Not Cheap + Requires Ham License...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sac D View Post
I thought about the Loc8tor, but with a maximum range of 400 feet it would not have given me any help when my Phantom departed on its own for parts unknown... it was already more than 400 feet away when it disappeared. I've been researching these products for the past week, and none of them are very promising at all! Maybe I will take apart my old iphone3gs and use just the essential pieces of it needed for tracking. "Find My iPhantom" lol
Tremendous range, very small, pinpoint accuracy...
http://theplanelocator.com/rcplane/index.html
T J Gilbert is online now Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Merry Christmas 2014!
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2013, 09:10 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2013
495 Posts
See that row of evergreen trees in the centre of the photo? I crashed into the first non-evergreen to the left of those. It was quite far away from my camera, late in the evening, starting to get dark, so the video is very low quality. To top it off I forgot to start the GoPro on the Phantom, so there's no on-board view.

Here's what happened...

Using the same diagram again, I powered up the Phantom at "A", facing toward "B". So the recorded Forward Direction for Course-Lock mode is away to the right. Then I flew the Phantom out toward those evergreen trees and positioned it facing off to the left, as shown in the diagram.

In GPS-mode, selecting HL and pulling back on the stick, as expected, makes the Phantom come back, sliding sideways to its left, on a straight line back toward the Home point at "A".

Next test, move the Phantom back out to the same spot, switching now to ATTI-mode, select HL, pull back on the stick, and which way is it going to go???

As I suspected, it definitely does not come back down toward the Home position at "A". Nor, in the absence of HL working, when you pull back on the stick does it simply back up away from the direction it is currently facing, i.e. reversing to the right.

What it actually does, since HL doesn't work in ATTI-mode, it defaults to CL. And pulling back on the stick when in CL mode makes the Phantom move in the direction opposite to the currently recorded Forward Direction. Therefore the Phantom moves to the LEFT, regardless of whichever way it happens to be facing.

Because I had spent some time scratching my head trying to figure this out beforehand, that's exactly where I expected it to go. But, if you were convinced it would obediently come home in HL when using ATTI mode, you'd get a rude surprise when it heads off in a completely unexpected direction.

So, if I was ready for it to go to the left, why did it crash?

As usual, it's because I'm an idiot.

While I was busy talking to the video camera explaining what I expected the Phantom to do in response to what I was about to try, I completely failed to notice that, when not in GPS-mode but now in ATTI-mode, the Phantom is free to drift with the wind. And the breeze was steadily pushing the Phantom away from me closer to those trees. d'oh.

When I pulled back on the stick, and saw it heading left as expected, I suddenly realized that it was much closer to the trees than I had intended. The Phantom was facing to the left, flying forward in that direction, so I instinctively fed in some left-stick to bring it closer to me and away from the trees, but... I'm such a fool.

Here I'd just finished explaining how, regardless of the IOC switch being in the HL position, the Phantom in ATTI-mode was actually flying by default in CL mode. And, the recorded Forward Direction is from "A" to "B", i.e. off to the right in the diagram. Push forward makes the Phantom move to the right. Pull back makes it move to the left, as I had just finished demonstrating. Moving the stick to the LEFT therefore makes the Phantom move up in the diagram, i.e. completely the opposite of what I was trying to do.

I wanted it to come closer to me away from the trees, instead it went straight into the tree!

It really is a little scary how stupid I can be.

Crash#2 (0 min 38 sec)

Thankfully the Phantom is tough and there was no damage whatsoever. It clattered off a bunch of branches and then dropped to a soft landing in the fresh snow.
Zbip57 is offline Find More Posts by Zbip57
Old Mar 22, 2013, 09:19 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2013
495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1000 View Post
What I'm still trying to figure out is why it has to go into 'CL' mode when it returns to within 10 meters of Home Point. It doesn't have any trouble with this when it does a 'Return to Home' , so why the problem with 'HL'?
I was wondering that too.

In Fail-Safe mode when it is returning home by itself, it has no problem with the pin-point accuracy required to find that home spot.

But I think it might have a problem with conflicting manual inputs as it gets closer and closer to the centre of the home location. If you're backing directly into the home point, it would oscillate back and forth over the home point if you kept pulling back on the stick. But if you missed hitting the home point square on target and swung past it by a couple of feet, if you were still pulling full back on the stick the Phantom would go into a tightening spiral around the home point.

Maybe the math involved for that would get too complex, and it's simpler to just cancel HL within 10 metres of the Home point.
Zbip57 is offline Find More Posts by Zbip57
Old Mar 22, 2013, 09:24 PM
Quad Pilot
Joined Jan 2013
1,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
They may work ok, not tested them so cannot say. Tiger does make a replacement motor specifically for the Phantom - http://www.rctigermotor.com/show.php?contentid=199
Where to buy? I googled... no found
Jumanoc is offline Find More Posts by Jumanoc
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:09 PM
USA, NJ, Egg Harbor Township
Joined Feb 2007
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbip57 View Post
I was wondering that too.

In Fail-Safe mode when it is returning home by itself, it has no problem with the pin-point accuracy required to find that home spot.

But I think it might have a problem with conflicting manual inputs as it gets closer and closer to the centre of the home location. If you're backing directly into the home point, it would oscillate back and forth over the home point if you kept pulling back on the stick. But if you missed hitting the home point square on target and swung past it by a couple of feet, if you were still pulling full back on the stick the Phantom would go into a tightening spiral around the home point.

Maybe the math involved for that would get too complex, and it's simpler to just cancel HL within 10 metres of the Home point.
I'm glad the Phantom didn't get hurt. I'm sure the cold didn't help your thinking or your flying. That's why I'm still in the house.Tomorrow is another day.
Joe C
flyboy1000 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy1000
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:32 PM
Joined May 2012
16 Posts
Thank you Zbip57 for that post. I cant wait for the wind to lay down where I live so I can go to a big field and try out HL for now. Once I get that down and comfortable I will try CL. I'm alos waiting on some more batteries (due to arrive tomorrow) which will give me more time in the field to really get a better understanding of the inputs and effects. 8 minute lesson in 10-20mph winds is not easy on a newbie.
Kilstorm is offline Find More Posts by Kilstorm
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:59 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Jan 2012
1,294 Posts
Anyone know how much these are and where can you get them?

http://www.rctigermotor.com/show.php?contentid=199
skipper1 is online now Find More Posts by skipper1
Old Mar 22, 2013, 11:18 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
5,032 Posts
@Zbip57

I really admire you!
Not only do you brave the frigid cold to provide some of the most enlightening testing we've ever seen....
You're humble and pragmatic when it comes to your flying antics and pitfalls.
You are very generous to risk your health and your aircraft to educate and entertain us.
Thanks!
T J Gilbert is online now Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Merry Christmas 2014!
Old Mar 23, 2013, 01:57 AM
Living and Learning
United States, WV, Bridgeport
Joined Mar 2008
104 Posts
I-GotU GT-120 Initial Test Flight

The wind finally calmed down here, though it's still pretty cold, so this was a short flight.

The test went well. The only problem was that speed was pretty erratic and at times very difficult to believe. Sorry, my phantom is not travelling at 14MPH when i am just casually and gently moving it around, and it's especially not going 34MPH! The unit is mounted on its side on the back of the battery door, so that might have something to do with it.

The path and altitude however was very good. There is a gap in the path because the top of this hill is flat while the terrain data in google earth thinks otherwise. So my aircraft goes "underground" at one point. Overall I got what I was looking for: Where am I going and how high am I going?

These screenshots are from google earth. To get them into google earth, you load the @Trip PC software that comes with the unit, download your points, let it try to use google maps (which fails for me as it says it needs a new API KEY), and then export to .gpx. Point google earth at this file and it'll load right up. Be sure to uncheck the option for clamping your altitude to the ground.

Once you've got it loaded, head to the Edit menu and Show Elevation Profile. That's what you see at the bottom of these screenshots. The orange/brown color is the elevation, which as you can see is very smooth. The other color is the speed, which as mentioned, jumps all over the place and is not even close to the speeds I was doing.

I set the unit to record a track every one second. The default is six. The @Trip PC software automatically eliminates duplicate track points that are basically in the exact same spot, which is nice.

The forums are resizing these images, which makes the details too blurry to be useful, so view the full size.

Initial view from directly above, showing that I WAS flying over a building (it's one of ours), when I thought I wasn't! This is a major reason I got this unit. I knew I flew over the road, but this is the sticks, nobody's coming up that road at past midnight when I flew.

The magic really starts from the side and while rotating around, and at this point you can see your path in 3D:

Another angle:

It's pretty easy to calculate what your highest altitude was: Look in the upper left of the elevation profile, in the red boxes. Subtract your minimum elevation from the max, and there you go. For me this was 160 feet.

This is VERY cool and I look forward to doing this at my other flying locations, especially the one where I had my nasty crash -- So that I'll verify that I am staying as far away from that ridge as I think (hope) I am.
fire-eyes is offline Find More Posts by fire-eyes
Old Mar 23, 2013, 03:53 AM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire-eyes View Post

The only problem was that speed was pretty erratic and at times very difficult to believe. Sorry, my phantom is not travelling at 14MPH when i am just casually and gently moving it around, and it's especially not going 34MPH!
I had mine up to 36mph with our less dense air so your speeds sound accurate
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Old Mar 23, 2013, 04:31 AM
Former IAF pilot. Retired
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Apr 2012
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
I really admire you!
Not only do you brave the frigid cold to provide some of the most enlightening testing we've ever seen....
You're humble and pragmatic when it comes to your flying antics and pitfalls.
You are very generous to risk your health and your aircraft to educate and entertain us.
Thanks!
My exact feeling, very well said, thanks
kosem is offline Find More Posts by kosem
Old Mar 23, 2013, 05:19 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper1 View Post
Anyone know how much these are and where can you get them?

http://www.rctigermotor.com/show.php?contentid=199
I don't have any in stock yet. Ill check with tiger first of the week on retail price. I believe they are a bundle of 4 is how they are selling them.

Edit - MAP is about $189 for set of 4. Suppose to be around 10% more powerful and 8% more efficient than stock.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Last edited by flitelab; Mar 23, 2013 at 05:26 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 07:24 AM
Quad Pilot
Joined Jan 2013
1,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumanoc View Post
I've noted that Zingers and Graupners props are less responsive, specially when descendng and power / climb is needed. (stock props always recover from descent inmediatly, but other props don't ).
My questions:
1) It is necessary to change GAINS values with naza assistant? which ones ?
2) The flight time was reduced ~2 minutes with Zingers and Graupners compared with stock props. It is because they need more motor speed to get climb, hovering and flight?
Anybody answer ?
Jumanoc is offline Find More Posts by Jumanoc
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2013, 08:12 AM
Turkey, Istanbul
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
T Motor Phantom specific motors sold here:

http://www.multirotor.co/product_inf...roducts_id=170

I don't know whether this is a good price, or if the supplier is dependable.
RallyPilot is offline Find More Posts by RallyPilot
Last edited by RallyPilot; Mar 23, 2013 at 08:16 AM. Reason: reference
Old Mar 23, 2013, 08:28 AM
USA, NJ, Egg Harbor Township
Joined Feb 2007
358 Posts
Loc8tor

fire-eyes,
I'm very interested in a test of the Loc8tor. Does anyone see radio problems with this? Please give us a review, when possible.
Joe C
flyboy1000 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy1000