HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:20 PM
Joined Feb 2008
196 Posts
Here's a short video of my maiden 'real' FPV flight...a nerve-wracking experience at first!
The flight was done in GPS mode, hence the jumpiness..I'll use atti next time.
Pitstone Windmill - Raw Footage (3 min 23 sec)
xpower180 is offline Find More Posts by xpower180
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:34 AM
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Feb 2013
56 Posts
Just wanted to kind of take a poll on what others are using or which is better. 8x5 Graupner or 8x5 wooden Zinger and why?
sly5789 is offline Find More Posts by sly5789
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:43 AM
Joined Nov 2012
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly5789 View Post
Just wanted to kind of take a poll on what others are using or which is better. 8x5 Graupner or 8x5 wooden Zinger and why?
Been using graupners. I like the response and faster decent with them. I haven't test graupners yet cuz I have the 9x5s. Instill try those when I get a gimbal.
jcmendo01 is offline Find More Posts by jcmendo01
Old Mar 17, 2013, 01:03 AM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,558 Posts
I've got the Zinger 8x5's, the stock 8x5's and I just put the Graupner 8x5's on my Phantom today.

I haven't mounted the Zingers yet and I haven't done any real tests but I do like the Graupners. Not sure why but I like them though. They're definitely stiffer but they're also thinner so I'm not sure if they have the same lifting power or not?

I don't have a gimbal setup and am just running a GoPro 2 with the GoPro case. No other mods.

-Mike
Stone1295 is offline Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old Mar 17, 2013, 03:45 AM
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Feb 2013
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmendo01 View Post
Been using graupners. I like the response and faster decent with them. I haven't test graupners yet cuz I have the 9x5s. Instill try those when I get a gimbal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone1295 View Post
I've got the Zinger 8x5's, the stock 8x5's and I just put the Graupner 8x5's on my Phantom today.

I haven't mounted the Zingers yet and I haven't done any real tests but I do like the Graupners. Not sure why but I like them though. They're definitely stiffer but they're also thinner so I'm not sure if they have the same lifting power or not?

I don't have a gimbal setup and am just running a GoPro 2 with the GoPro case. No other mods.

-Mike

Thanks guys. I think the graupners are the ones I should use.
sly5789 is offline Find More Posts by sly5789
Old Mar 17, 2013, 05:05 AM
Joined Sep 2011
679 Posts
I have the Zingers. No need for washers, and the wood compresses a bit so the props are very secure.

They are also easy to balance as you have a lot of wood that you can sand off (to balance the blades) and a lot of hub area to add super glue to balance the hub.
beamen is offline Find More Posts by beamen
Old Mar 17, 2013, 05:18 AM
Joined Sep 2011
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper1 View Post
Beamen, thanks for that little nugget. I've been having trouble balancing a couple of props and came to the conclusion that the hubs were off but didn't know how to fix it. I'm getting ready to order some kicker. I currently have CA Hot Stuff. Is there a different CA that would work better? Also, how do you apply the CA?
I bought a set, with CA and activator in one. Any regular CA should work really.

If the blades are completely horizontal place a line of CA over the whole, light side (top) of the hub. If it's dipping a bit to the right add some on the top left side of the hub.
beamen is offline Find More Posts by beamen
Old Mar 17, 2013, 05:29 AM
Joined Apr 2008
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
This mod allows a selection of antennas to be used to increase the range of the Phantom by as much as 2X.

The coax cable is a low loss cable compared to the OEM cable with a threaded RPSMA connector so the antenna can easily be removed. I wouldn't recommend going above a 7dB antenna unless your flight is mostly horizontal.

RPSMA antennas are easy to find on e-bay and I have several here.

The external connector also allows ultra long range High Gain Antennas to be connected for long distance flying.

great
Could you give the link for coax and RPSMA connector, not so easy on ebay there is to much product....
citi is offline Find More Posts by citi
Old Mar 17, 2013, 08:15 AM
USA, NJ, Egg Harbor Township
Joined Feb 2007
355 Posts
Calibrate your Transmitter

I didn't think I needed to calibrate my transmitter, so I hadn't bothered until now. When I would hover in GPS mode, the Phantom would wonder around a few feet. I didn't think too much about it. I figured that was as accurate as it was going to be. I had nothing better to do today, so I decided to calibrate it. What a difference. It now stays within a foot of where I put it. Very easy thing to do, just follow the procedure in the advanced manual. The only place that I see you could go wrong is when it says to move the switch on the right-hand side to Atti mode. You must move it to all the way down. Don't just move it to the center position. Spring tension can change over time, and I think what you are doing is redefining where the stick center points and endpoints are. Hope this helps someone.
Joe C
flyboy1000 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy1000
Old Mar 17, 2013, 08:57 AM
Joined Feb 2013
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1000 View Post
so I decided to calibrate it. What a difference. It now stays within a foot of where I put it.
Just dont be dissapointed at low temperatures, when its drifting again the first few minutes despite of virgin calibration...,-)
gervais is offline Find More Posts by gervais
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:07 AM
USA, NJ, Egg Harbor Township
Joined Feb 2007
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gervais View Post
Just dont be dissapointed at low temperatures, when its drifting again the first few minutes despite of virgin calibration...,-)
It was 36 F when I flew it.
Joe C
flyboy1000 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy1000
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:46 AM
Joined Jul 2011
17 Posts
Power supply

Stone 1295

Yes I forgot the rc on the end of feathermerchantrc.com

Thanks. Rick
rxwarrior is offline Find More Posts by rxwarrior
Last edited by rxwarrior; Mar 17, 2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:59 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v10tdi View Post
Newly addicted to the hobby and my eyes are somewhat blurry from reading all of the preceding posts.

I purchased the Phantom a few weeks ago and have been learning how to fly it. Slow, but steady. To help on the "slow" part, I purchased some extra batteries. :-) I'd like to acquire a better charging solution than the stock Phantom charger, perhaps something that might be expandable if I cannot learn to control my addiction.

Can someone recommend a "turn key" charging solution that is somewhat "idiot proof" that would allow me to safely charge more than one Phantom battery at a time? I appreciate your time.
Here's what I use, not idiot proof but read the manual and you'll have no problems. Also get a 24v power supply and you can charge 6 batteries at a time with 30 amps of juice.. The whole thing with power supply might cost you $250 but it will last you forever.
http://www.buddyrc.com/icharger-306b.html
http://www.buddyrc.com/paraboard-v2-xh-xt60.html
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:53 AM
Joined Mar 2013
255 Posts
DJI Drivers Installation

I just installed the Naza software 2.02 and did the registration, and before installing the drivers I want to ask, there are two sets of drivers one is named Win8driver installer and the second one says driver installer, since I'm running xp in this computer I should install the second one only or Am I wrong? Sorry If it is a silly question , I just want to make sure, after so many stories of installations gone wrong.
Tony Landing is online now Find More Posts by Tony Landing
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:24 AM
Joined Jul 2011
17 Posts
Dji drivers

Yes if you don't have windows 8 operating system then you use the other one for all other operating systems.

Rick
rxwarrior is offline Find More Posts by rxwarrior