semich is offline Find More Posts by semich
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:23 PM
Port Coquitlam, BC CANADA
Joined Jun 2009
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
The Naza has two levels of battery warning. Not that it is great but it has them. The real point of this quad is that it is ready to fly.
Yes, Ed. The important thing is the RTF. The absence of a timer (if this is indeed the case) is definitely not a "deal killer". Having always flown with a timer, I still have my first one which was an inexpensive (under $10.00) digital kitchen timer which I still have. So there are practical "work arounds". My quad which I use for amateur AP applications, uses Naza/GPS and I fly parallel lipos. Yes, the Naza low battery systems do work. My preference is to use the Tx timer to fly with a healthy "safety margin" since I like to fly at altitudes of 150 feet plus and land with my lipos slightly above storage voltage. I could easily do all of this with the kitchen digital timer.

I think it is great that DJI is developing a line of products that are priced for "normal" people that have to work to earn the money for their hobbies. The Phantom definitely falls into this category with the RTF concept. Ideally, the user would need no more than a spare lipo or two, rechargeable AA batteries and spare props. Down the road, they could move to a Go Pro camera. Now that the Go Pro 3 is released, I expect the Go Pro 2 will get cheaper. The Go Pro 2 has a proven history of being a perfectly acceptable camera.
Stumblebee is offline Find More Posts by Stumblebee
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:38 PM
Port Coquitlam, BC CANADA
Joined Jun 2009
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by semich View Post
Hmm... looks like neither this company or the British one is offering locked in pricing at the moment and it looks like the price varies (for any number of reasons) depending on which country you buy it in.
Stumblebee is offline Find More Posts by Stumblebee
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:18 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by semich View Post
That seems a little high. That just may be his price because the official price is not yet out. Quadcopters.uk is at $693.50. It is still not out yet so we will have to wait for awhile.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:35 PM
What's a servo?
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2008
447 Posts
The machine does look like a nice package. Notice it is using the stock motors.

I am concerned about the once piece body though.

I mean, the main sales pitch this machine is that its RTF, and I can definitely see a lot of consumers picking one up because of its plug and fly simplicity, but that body looks to be a one piece monocoque shell.

Regardless of what the shell is made of, the first decent crash and the shell will need replacing, this is not likely within the "RTF consumers" capabilities, so is the only solution to send the units back, inclusive of the TX and all necessary hardware, back to the suppliers to have a new body shell installed?

Is this really the market that a technology company would like to persue? What about selling units to remote locations with minimal supplier support network? What happens then?
Sad Sack is offline Find More Posts by Sad Sack
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:46 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,759 Posts
I am not sure it is a monocoque shell/frame. I was told that you have to remove the top to access the Naza to change the settings. We are speculating right now since no one has posted interior pictures.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:30 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
I hope there's a standalone Naza/GPS unit inside and not an integrated design. Naza is a great FC and I do hope you can take it out and move it to another frame when you feel that it's time to get something even better.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:50 PM
Joined Mar 2009
51 Posts
http://tienda.stockrc.com/epages/eb0...Products/djiph

Phantom dji (1 min 40 sec)
funflyfpv is offline Find More Posts by funflyfpv
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:37 PM
Joined Nov 2012
8 Posts
DJI information on their pages

I have found this today
http://www.dji-innovations.com/produ...pecifications/
tauterman is offline Find More Posts by tauterman
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:52 PM
Joined Nov 2012
8 Posts
360° aerial

Hi,
I´m expecting to do something like this
http://aerial-virtual-tour.brno360.cz/
with a Phantom
What do you think?
tauterman is offline Find More Posts by tauterman
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:44 PM
Joined Nov 2012
48 Posts
Need advice

I am new to RC world and would be interested in buying a quadcopter that can carry a GoPro camera. I would be mostly using it for hovering over historic sites. I would like to take them on trips as well.

I saw the DJI phantom (http://quadcopters.co.uk/dji-phantom...pter-570-p.asp) which at first site looks like a candidate but would like to get some expert advice on whether it is worth buying it, what are the pros/cons. Do you have any other recommendations? Any help is appreciated!
sampdoria is offline Find More Posts by sampdoria
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:49 PM
sydney, downunder
Joined Jan 2011
1,663 Posts
any pre-order specials?
fajar is offline Find More Posts by fajar
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:47 PM
A new day, a new gadget
Brighton, UK
Joined May 2006
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampdoria View Post
I am new to RC world and would be interested in buying a quadcopter that can carry a GoPro camera. I would be mostly using it for hovering over historic sites. I would like to take them on trips as well.

I saw the DJI phantom (http://quadcopters.co.uk/dji-phantom...pter-570-p.asp) which at first site looks like a candidate but would like to get some expert advice on whether it is worth buying it, what are the pros/cons. Do you have any other recommendations? Any help is appreciated!
Sampdoria. Nobody has flown the Phantom yet so we don't know. But we know that DJI do mostly provide reliable, workable but distinctly average hardware. And the Naza GPS flight controller is, really, pretty good. This setup is aimed at a market that wants something that will fly out of the box, minimal user input or thought required. That's all fine, and it's a good offer, just be aware of two things:

- If you are new to RC you'll find it harder than you expect to control; don't be deluded by videos of experienced pilots flying it. You will crash and break things.
- It is built to a price and not to performance. The gap between this amateur frame and a pro setup is huge.

The Phantom is clearly aimed at opening up the huge potential market of people who would like to fly a GoPro around and take some pictures without facing the technical challenges that have made that difficult before. I think it's going to do that very well but be aware that it's disposable: either the crappy DJI motors or ESC's will fail or you'll get frustrated with the overall quality and want to move on to more sophisticated hardware.
Garry s is offline Find More Posts by Garry s
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:38 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
You could say that about many quads meant for those just starting out. If they sort out the QC issues before putting this thing into production, then the motors should work just fine. I really hope they're not simply hiding the poorly soldered bullet connectors inside this shell, hoping they won't fail anytime soon.

Anyways, if it performs as well as a regular Naza + GPS does, at a much better price, then they have a winner and it should be easy for anyone to fly if you stay in ATTI mode with the carefree mode enabled and RTH set to an easy-to-reach switch.

I really do hope the parts are removable, especially the FC + GPS, that would really sweeten the deal.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:12 AM
Australia, QLD, Gatton
Joined Jan 2007
946 Posts
Looks like the copter is aimed at newcomers. I'd say there will be a good market in cheap nazas and gps's when they crash for the first time. I doubt new frames will be cheap. The frame doesn't really look modular, as in having replaceable arms.

Another thing is the radio equipment. Is it spektrum dsmx compatible or something? You can't legally fly with a non recognized radio system at a club (in Australia anyway). Seems it is not marketed at the serious hobbiest.
danger_mouse is offline Find More Posts by danger_mouse
Last edited by danger_mouse; Nov 28, 2012 at 05:26 AM.