small electrics r BIG FUN
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
Don't fly.
IMU Basic Calibration is required...
I've just downloaded the advanced owners manual but see nothing about IMU calibration.

I'm very confused and don't know what this is or how to do it.
Al P is offline Find More Posts by Al P
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:18 AM
Waukesha, WI
Joined Dec 2002
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al P View Post
I've just downloaded the advanced owners manual but see nothing about IMU calibration.

DJI Phantom Maintenance Calibrating the IMU (6 min 6 sec)
R Hudson is offline Find More Posts by R Hudson
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:32 AM
DJI Phantom pilot
The Netherlands, GE, Culemborg
Joined Jan 2013
242 Posts
Quote:

IMU: inertial measurement units, consisting of 3-axis gyro an 3 axis accelerometer.

5-6 fast green flashes: the IMU is confused.

You have to hook up the Phantom to a PC, with a USB cable.

On the PC you need Phantom assistant software.
In the assistant you can calibrate the IMU.

It is quite straightforward and will only cost you a minute when you have done this several times.
DutchVince is offline Find More Posts by DutchVince
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:33 AM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,317 Posts
Thanks R Hudson and others for your help. IMU needs calibration... that stinks as I use a MAC and I haven't even flown it yet.

I went back outside and got the single green flash followed by 4 yellow flashes for what seemed like 4 or 5 minutes. Then I got the single green flash, followed by the single green flash. OK, so then I arm the throttles and it then it starts flashing the single green followed by 4 green flashes. Does this still indicate that the IMU needs to be calibrated ?
Al P is offline Find More Posts by Al P
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:34 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,709 Posts
Rtf?

Quote:

The Phantom is ready to fly (unless it needs the IMU Basic Calibration).
For the Phantom pilot to be ready to fly, you really need to read the Phantom Manual and take the time to watch Colin Guinn's videos.
If you don't, unfortunately, you will be "very confused and don't know what this is or how to do it".

Now, please don't get your feelings hurt. I'm not making fun of you...
I'm actually surprised that for someone with as many posts and flying years as you have that you have not read the manual & watched the videos...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Mar 06, 2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:35 AM
DJI Phantom pilot
The Netherlands, GE, Culemborg
Joined Jan 2013
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramotor1 View Post
http://youtu.be/KTiaMrcAGeU
Hi folks. I have put together a selection of my clips filmed in Ireland over the last month. Phantom with gopro3 black,balanced stock props,and downlink. Hope you enjoy.
Very nice! This is what quadcopter video is all about in my opinion
Still a little jello here and there, what kind of vibration damping are you using?
DutchVince is offline Find More Posts by DutchVince
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:38 AM
Joined Nov 2012
89 Posts
Quote:
Thanks R Hudson and others for your help. IMU needs calibration... that stinks as I use a MAC and I haven't even flown it yet.

I went back outside and got the single green flash followed by 4 yellow flashes for what seemed like 4 or 5 minutes. Then I got the single green flash, followed by the single green flash. OK, so then I arm the throttles and it then it starts flashing the single green followed by 4 green flashes. Does this still indicate that the IMU needs to be calibrated ?
When it's in the air and you start moving the sticks away from the center point, it will flash green multiple times, indicating sticks out of center.
jcmendo01 is offline Find More Posts by jcmendo01
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:38 AM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,709 Posts
IMU Needs Calibration

Quote:

Yes, it does mean that the IMU needs calibrating.
I know you keep hoping it won't because of the Apple vs. Windows dilemma you have.
I guess it's off to Boot Camp for you...
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: If You Don't See It Here...
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:39 AM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,709 Posts
Sticks Off Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmendo01 View Post
When it's in the air and you start moving the sticks away from the center point, it will flash green multiple times, indicating sticks out of center.
That is only a double green (or yellow) flash...
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: If You Don't See It Here...
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:41 AM
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Oct 2012
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVince View Post
This might even be wilder and would hide the pole:

gopro hd 360 degree swivel mount

gopro hd 360 degree swivel mount (4 min 34 sec)
Casperhyde is offline Find More Posts by Casperhyde
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:50 AM
Joined Dec 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVince View Post
Very nice! This is what quadcopter video is all about in my opinion
Still a little jello here and there, what kind of vibration damping are you using?
just some sorbothene between the frame and stock mount. Waiting for the brushless gimbals to come out before I do anything else.
Paramotor1 is offline Find More Posts by Paramotor1
Old Mar 06, 2013, 12:15 PM
Living and Learning
United States, WV, Bridgeport
Joined Mar 2008
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpilot23 View Post
Have you balanced the props

That will eliminate almost all jello
I gotta chime in and stress this one. I have the graupner 8x5's balanced, and I borrowed a friends gopro hero 3 black. I literally did NOTHING else, and I have NO jello period -- Even at 30fps. Maybe I'm lucky?
fire-eyes is offline Find More Posts by fire-eyes
Old Mar 06, 2013, 12:17 PM
Living and Learning
United States, WV, Bridgeport
Joined Mar 2008
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by branflakes View Post
I felt the same way. I'm on my 4th or so flight. You need to let it sit there for about 4 mins sometimes then it will lock on and be safe in GPS mode, single flashing green. I've never flown any quad before its totally stable you w see
It's strongly advised to take off in Attl mode (single yellow flash versus green), and then go back to GPS if you like. People attribute taking off in GPS mode to the occasional tipover and props dug into the ground. I've only had it happen once and GPS was indeed on. I've never had it happen following what i mentioned.
fire-eyes is offline Find More Posts by fire-eyes
Old Mar 06, 2013, 12:22 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,300 Posts
what about landing...the same?
branflakes is offline Find More Posts by branflakes
Old Mar 06, 2013, 12:22 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly5789 View Post
Now I'm interested in trying the zingers wooden prop 9". Do you need a washer when putting these on? Any pictures or how to would be appreciated. Thanks.
No, you do not need a washer, as the hub for these is sized just right for the DJI motor bell/shaft. Also, no need for a lock washer either, as the wood compresses slightly, which acts as a natural lock washer.

I now finally have both the 8x5 Zingers and the 9x4 Zingers in stock, along with the dual-stage isolation mount. You can download illustrated balancing and mounting instructions from the description pages.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is online now Find More Posts by GGoodrum