Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:48 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Hudson View Post
Umm, yeah. They are Graupners. Have you been reading this thread at all?
These are the first Graupners I have seen specially made for the Phantom. Or did you not read that R Hudson? I have Graupners too, but just like everyone else, I had to ream them and use nylocks to get them to work. It would be badass to not have to do all that and have a notch in them as well.
cargasm is offline Find More Posts by cargasm
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:48 PM
Custom quad builder
tech69x's Avatar
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargasm View Post
No offense, but some of the comments on here are sort of lame. I didn't buy the copter to sit in a box. Comments like "I would never fly in my neighborhood" or whatever - give me a break. Every other video on here is someone flying next to houses.

The road I crossed over is well within the 300 meters the Phantom is rated at. I pushed my range IN AN EMPTY FIELD - AWAY FROM CARS AND PEOPLE! One of the reasons I decided to post it is to show that when it was within range, flipping the switch from GPS to ATTI and back again allowed me to regain control. I think you guys are overreacting.
Well the AMA would have a field day with this video
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:52 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2012
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargasm View Post
My second FPV and oh boy! Was it nerve wrecking! I goof around the neighborhood a little, chase a car, then decide to go check out a gigantic estate. Distance out is 605 meters on the stock transmitter/receiver. Problem is, there is a lot interference in the neighborhood.

I do lose control! Return to Home doesn't kick in and work correctly! Do I get the Phantom back safe and sound?!?! Will the pilot die from a heart attack? Watch and see!

http://youtu.be/Mv37yXKrPuU
Wow. Very nerve racking. What setup do you have. You covered quite a distance for 11mins. That's awesome. Please let us know. Great flight!
jcmendo01 is offline Find More Posts by jcmendo01
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:53 PM
Registered User
R Hudson's Avatar
Waukesha, WI
Joined Dec 2002
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly5789 View Post
No sorry did someone already post something about these particular ones that is made for the phantom. If so I apologize, I hate having to modify the graupner to fit on my phantom.
I didn't mean to come off as a jerk so I re-worded. It really is no big deal to ream a prop to fit your motor shaft. That part is easier than balancing
R Hudson is offline Find More Posts by R Hudson
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:53 PM
Registered User
United States, IL, Springfield
Joined Jan 2010
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargasm View Post
I know the range of the Phantom. Going over the roads/houses is very close to where I am, so no worries there. It was going out into the field towards the estate that was far. If it would have went down out there, no worries. It's all just empty field, which is the only reason I attempted it.
Radio range may not be a problem but what if a prop breaks or motor fails over traffic?
Xymph is offline Find More Posts by Xymph
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:54 PM
Registered User
sly5789's Avatar
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Feb 2013
56 Posts
I use to like this forum but it seems like people like to jump to conclusions or do not read post thoroughly before they respond. Thank you cargasm for pointing that out about the graupner I posted. That was the reason for the post.
sly5789 is offline Find More Posts by sly5789
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:56 PM
Registered User
sly5789's Avatar
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Feb 2013
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Hudson View Post
I didn't mean to come off as a jerk so I re-worded. It really is no big deal to ream a prop to fit your motor shaft. That part is easier than balancing

I understand it might not be easy for experts like yourself but to beginners like me I think it's easy to buy parts that are a direct fit. Especially props that are
slotted so it fits tight and snug without having to use nylocs.
sly5789 is offline Find More Posts by sly5789
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:01 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmendo01 View Post
Wow. Very nerve racking. What setup do you have. You covered quite a distance for 11mins. That's awesome. Please let us know. Great flight!
Thank you Sir! Phantom has 9x5 Graupners with m6 nylock nuts. 2200 mah turnigy batteries. Clik-It ISO Pro Wire Isolation mount, Go Pro Hero 2. It is actually 2 videos in one, I edited it, so it looks like one long video. As you notice, there is still jello. I am picking up a few sheets of the Duro 30 Sorbothane and will try a go at some custom mounts to make the video smooth as it can be.

Been flying it since it came out, but new to FPV. I fly in ATTI for more power to get to the distance locations as quickly as possible. Should the worst happen and I lose connection, I have plenty of battery for the electronics to engage and bring her home safely. Contrary to the posters above, which come off like I am reckless, that couldn't be further from the truth. Every flight I double and triple check my equipment.
cargasm is offline Find More Posts by cargasm
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:03 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargasm View Post
No offense, but some of the comments on here are sort of lame. I didn't buy the copter to sit in a box. Comments like "I would never fly in my neighborhood" or whatever - give me a break. Every other video on here is someone flying next to houses.
x2.
Kcraig99 is offline Find More Posts by Kcraig99
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:06 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xymph View Post
Radio range may not be a problem but what if a prop breaks or motor fails over traffic?
I appreciate you erring on the side of caution. I do too. I use Graupners and the only way one would break is if I hit something with them and even then....would take a massive hit. They are secured with M6 nylock nuts, which I always double check before flight. Having a motor fail in mid-flight?!?! Hmmm, never seen that one before without hitting something.

I have an 8 year old daughter, am in my mid 40's. I know what these things can do. I assure you I don't take reckless risks. If the Phantom had crashed in that video, it would have been in an empty field. It's all good.
cargasm is offline Find More Posts by cargasm
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:07 PM
Registered User
R Hudson's Avatar
Waukesha, WI
Joined Dec 2002
560 Posts
Guys, I don't want discourage any new pilots. Just understand that I have been in this hobby for quite some time and to me it is important to know how things work and how to make things work properly. I have mixed feelings on the Phantom in that it really makes so many things almost too easy so many new pilots miss out on the experience of having to figure many things out. Sorry to have ruffled any feathers. Please continue to post new things that you have found that will benefit other new pilots and disregard my short comments.

Just realize, I'm not a jerk. I just play one on TV
R Hudson is offline Find More Posts by R Hudson
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:11 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargasm View Post
I know the range of the Phantom. Going over the roads/houses is very close to where I am, so no worries there. It was going out into the field towards the estate that was far. If it would have went down out there, no worries. It's all just empty field, which is the only reason I attempted it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargasm View Post
If the Phantom had crashed in that video, it would have been in an empty field. It's all good.
3:18 - 3:40 Very unsafe.

I will bet by the end of this year there will be someone hurt by this type of irresponsible flying and the news media is going to have a fiasco with it.

HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:14 PM
Pointy end up.
jamesdrone's Avatar
Canada, ON, Tobermory
Joined Feb 2013
132 Posts
cargasm...sorry but it's reckless and I stick to my original reply. There are 1000+1 other places to fly that would be just as cool, allow you to test your range, get great shots, etc, but would not fly over what looks like major roadways, houses and people. Regardless of how diligent you are with your setup #%^$ happens and a 2.5 lb hunk of plastic falling from 100+ feet could do serious damage. Imagine that thing falling from the sky, and going through your windshield as your driving 50mph....that would be a bad day.

I think the biggest reason that I find exception with your flight is that it portrays this hobby as one with the potential for a bad accident. It's already regulated and talks of banning are hot news items these days, why fuel that fire?
jamesdrone is offline Find More Posts by jamesdrone
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:19 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
3:18 - 3:40 Very unsafe.

I will bet by the end of this year there will be someone hurt by this type of irresponsible flying and the news media is going to have a fiasco with it.

Sigh..... I give up. Tell you what HighGain.....I will continue to fly the Phantom and have fun with it. I will continue to double check my equipment and be aware of my surroundings and fly WITHIN my SKILL SET. You can continue to play armchair warrior and criticize anything that you think is dangerous, ok? Let's leave it at that.
cargasm is offline Find More Posts by cargasm
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:25 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdrone View Post
cargasm...sorry but it's reckless and I stick to my original reply. There are 1000+1 other places to fly that would be just as cool, allow you to test your range, get great shots, etc, but would not fly over what looks like major roadways, houses and people. Regardless of how diligent you are with your setup #%^$ happens and a 2.5 lb hunk of plastic falling from 100+ feet could do serious damage. Imagine that thing falling from the sky, and going through your windshield as your driving 50mph....that would be a bad day.

I think the biggest reason that I find exception with your flight is that it portrays this hobby as one with the potential for a bad accident. It's already regulated and talks of banning are hot news items these days, why fuel that fire?
Did you see the video if the magpie attacking the quadcopter a few days back? What would have happened if AFTER the bird attacked the copter, it fell down and hit someone? Listen, you can say all day "What if". If you are that nervous about YOUR skills flying the Phantom, then maybe you need to go practice it a little more.

If people like you are that nervous about these things, then maybe you should not have gotten into this hobby. As for me, I am flying within my abilities. Thanks for your concern though. And this will be the last comment I make in regards to whether or not anyone thinks it was dangerous. Opinions are like everyone has one.
cargasm is offline Find More Posts by cargasm
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion DJI Quadcopter Frame BUILD Thread Quad_Addict Multirotor Talk 78 Mar 17, 2014 10:20 PM
Mini-HowTo POSTING VIDEO: How to Upgrade a Gaui 330x quadcopter with a DJI NAZA Lucidity47 Multirotor Talk 5 Jun 07, 2012 12:31 AM
Video Multiwii Quadcopter Dji F-450 frame Updated Video Anda Inc. Electric Heli Talk 1 May 23, 2012 02:51 PM
Discussion DJI S800 Spreading Wings has landed at Quadcopters UK Headquarters QuadcoptersUk Multirotor Talk 8 May 14, 2012 01:27 PM