Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:16 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsestes View Post
This the exact same case I got from Amazon (minus the DJI logo) for $40!!! http://www.amazon.com/Duratool-MJ-13...proof+Tool+Box

They are asking $129 for theirs!!!
I agree and unless DJI doesn't care about copyright infringements, there will be cease and desist letters going out or wait until they sell a few thousand and hit them with a legal audit and then threaten a lawsuit for a percentage. It's not like they don't have a US address.

You guys trying to make a quick buck really need to get your crap together and do it correctly.

I would also like to know how they received my e-mail address to contact me about this case.
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Last edited by HGT; Feb 22, 2013 at 09:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:20 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Duplicate post
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:32 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Jan 2012
1,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
I agree and unless DJI doesn't care about copyright infringements, there will be cease and desist letters going out or wait until they sell a few thousand and hit them with a legal audit and then threaten a lawsuit for a percentage. It's not like they don't have a US address.

You guys trying to make a quick buck really need to get your crap together and do it correctly.

I would also like to know how they received my e-mail address to contact me about this case.
I'm registered at Phantompilots.com and I got their email this evening and I was wondering the same thing, how did they get my email address. Did Phantompilots.com make some money off my email?
skipper1 is offline Find More Posts by skipper1
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:43 PM
Joined Jan 2012
245 Posts
I run PhantomPilots.com, I sent out the email to all my members tonight. I sent it out for them because they offered to give my forum members a deal at the pre-order. It's a $30 off coupon to get the case, if anyone feels like I spammed them I sincerely apologize.

As for the $40 Amazon case, that uses pick and pluck foam. This case doesn't use that polyurethane foam. It is the harder type foam that won't chunk off or flake off like pick and pluck. Put the controller in and out a few times in pick and pluck foam and the sharp metal swithces will start to tear it, I know I have one. This case foam is perfectly detailed to the parts, this is not home made pick and pluck. If you want to super customize a case, go for pick and pluck. That is definitely a cheaper option to go for!

The Tradecraft case won't appeal to all - it is limited that you have to use the stock charger, landing gear, etc. There are many other options out there, cheaper if you want pick and pluck foam of course, but I think more choices are a good thing. My forum is full of ideas for $20, $30, and $40 cases. Some people will want this type of foam instead.

I have seen people using $30 Home Depot toolboxes. I have seen people using $250+ Pelicans stuffed with every accessory under the sun. This seems like a nice middle of the road solution. Again, not for everybody, and probably not for RCGroups guys that have crazy extended landing gear, Gimbals, non-DJI transmitters, etc. This is for someone that wants a non pick and pluck solution for a decent price.
Price4Flight is offline Find More Posts by Price4Flight
Last edited by Price4Flight; Feb 27, 2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:26 PM
United States, GA, Flowery Branch
Joined Apr 2012
69 Posts
Did anyone ever figure out what the piece of white string was for.
I did a forum search and a Google search but coming up with nada.
Is it some kinda Chinese Velcro, maybe tie off some firecrackers, light them and take off real quick or even tie the Phantom down if you leave the props on while hooked up to asst?
poprocz is offline Find More Posts by poprocz
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:08 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poprocz View Post
Did anyone ever figure out what the piece of white string was for.
I did a forum search and a Google search but coming up with nada.
Is it some kinda Chinese Velcro, maybe tie off some firecrackers, light them and take off real quick or even tie the Phantom down if you leave the props on while hooked up to asst?
DJI posted a message long time ago suggesting the string was for the battery door and would help keeping it from flipping all the way down when open.
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:12 PM
United States, MI, Owosso
Joined Feb 2013
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
Mictouch -

there is no substitute for experience, and you only get that by crashing, and flying, and leaning to understand how a multi-rotor operates, it is my honest opinion every s800 customer should be forced to fly a Phantom for 100 hours before lifting off the s800 with a load of camera equipment over innocent bystanders. just saying.

Bo
That is exactly my plan, with probably a Phantom or two reduced to parts ("hanger bay queens") before moving up. It will be loads of fun and still cheaper than risking really big bucks before proper experience.
Northbound is offline Find More Posts by Northbound
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:40 AM
What goes Up must come Down...
United States, CA, Whittier
Joined Feb 2013
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellaskan View Post
In my opinion, if you're professional grade, you might want a copter that can stay up longer (battery life), and support more weight (for higher end optics). The s800 seems to be the "go to" big dog with tons of support.
Yeah, I'm starting to get that feeling... Thank you so much!
mictouch is offline Find More Posts by mictouch
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:44 AM
Joined Feb 2013
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound View Post
That is exactly my plan, with probably a Phantom or two reduced to parts ("hanger bay queens") before moving up. It will be loads of fun and still cheaper than risking really big bucks before proper experience.
My plan was out in the desert with no one around - except to capture some pictures of trucks going by... Thanks BTW, I have flown RC Helicopters many years ago along with planes and gliders and won a lot of races with RC Off Road Trucks and Buggies... I have the Real Flight 6.5 and am getting pretty good at it...

I really don't want to crash an expensive copter...

Thanks again guys!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:46 AM
Living and Learning
United States, WV, Bridgeport
Joined Mar 2008
104 Posts
E-Flite 3S 11.1V 1.8A Charger?

I have three of these, can I use them on the battery the phantom comes with?

http://www.rcboca.com/e-flite-3s-11-...rger-1-8a.html

They are for 3S 11.1V, and put out 1.8A. I notice the charger that came with the Phantom has an XT-60 plug for the main battery connector, while these E-Flites do not. They just have the 3S balancing connector.

They would charge slow but I have a 12 amp DC source and could power all three chargers at the same time. Perfect given that I have 3 more batteries on the way for a total of four and could charge all four (e-flite chargers plus the one that came with the phantom).

But I'm not going to mess with that if there's any doubt.
fire-eyes is offline Find More Posts by fire-eyes
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:53 AM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Feb 2013
931 Posts
what's the max "safe and practical" payload limit on these suckers? like with enough headroom to fly stable and safely?
serrated is offline Find More Posts by serrated
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:53 AM
Joined Feb 2013
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
Sorry I didn't reply to your PM yet.

Depending on your budget not to include the camera, the F550 would be a good choice. I find the Phantoms ability to control and hover a little smooter then my F450. I am still dialing in the gains but I don't see it getting much better. I have everything to turn it into an F550 except the 2 extra motors at this poing. I added the extra arms, ESC's and plates so I can compare a 550 to a 450.

If you not going to get carried away with a heavy gimbal and camera setup, the Phantom is killer in its ability to fly smoothly. CL is great for turning it sideways and following a moving object.
No ONE has said anything about the availability of the repair parts. To me this is key! I have time to learn how to fly and I want to go out every day in a field by myself until I get it down... I have flown older copters, planes, gliders and won a bunch of off road RC Truck races. I am anal and won't give up... PROMISE... I just want to make sure there is PARTS AVAILABLE...

I went to a very large Hobby Store in town that I've spent 10k at over the past 20 years and they don't even have a Phantom in stock and they never did see any repair parts. So, they don't carry them now... He said people call and come in looking for a Phantom all the time...

Thank you so much for your help...

Does anyone know anything about the XPro-Heli X2 Quadcopter? or the Company? The guys there are really nice and have answered a lot of questions and seem to know their stuff... ANyone have any experience with their Quadcopters?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:00 AM
Living and Learning
Joined Mar 2008
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mictouch View Post
No ONE has said anything about the availability of the repair parts. To me this is key! I have time to learn how to fly and I want to go out every day in a field by myself until I get it down... I have flown older copters, planes, gliders and won a bunch of off road RC Truck races. I am anal and won't give up... PROMISE... I just want to make sure there is PARTS AVAILABLE...
You are right, it is key. However keep in mind that it was just released in the middle of January; It has simply not been out very long. The parts stream will come soon enough.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:03 AM
Living and Learning
Joined Mar 2008
104 Posts
Night Flight = <3 !!

I have only had mine two days. I work late hours so I gave night flights a shot... What a BLAST!! Those running lights are AWESOME! Great job DJI!

This is such a fantastic experience compared to single rotor CP helicopters for me... I have a 400 size which I have completely destroyed and rebuilt twice. Which costs a lot of money and time, and I never once got a good flight out of that setup. I'm not blaming it all on the hardware, I guess it's just not my thing.

Now I can focus on flying and having FUN versus being so worried about destroying it that I don't have fun.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:13 AM
Joined Feb 2013
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosem View Post
Simon, you've paid >700$ for a sophisticated toy.
Why don't you take 15 minutes to watch DJI's videos and another 10 minutes to understand the Quick Start Manual??
I have already done that and know not to take off until I get the slow green, but I can't find anywhere what the lights I am getting at startup mean and according to the manual I should see a different series of lights.
Photo Simon is offline Find More Posts by Photo Simon