HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:41 PM
USA, NJ, Egg Harbor Township
Joined Feb 2007
358 Posts
Different Tx?

Is it possible to fly the Phantom with a Spektrum Dx7 Tx? What would I have to buy?
Joe C
flyboy1000 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy1000
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:43 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1000 View Post
Is it possible to fly the Phantom with a Spektrum Dx7 Tx? What would I have to buy?
Joe C
You would need to replace the stock Rx with a Spectrum compatible one.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:51 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,854 Posts
@Gordon90s

1. You will need a power source for your charger.
Get ready, that can run almost as much as your charger.
2. The charger you have chosen has a 10A max charge rate.
(So, your 13.2A target can't be reached.)
3. This type board has banana plugs that can plug right into the side of your charger.
http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...t-xh-xt60.html
The one you linked has Deans connectors, so you have to rig up some sort of converter cord.
Everything else looks pretty good at first glance.
In your reading, you might see some opinions about trying to top off batteries at 4.2v per cell
I've read that it puts a little extra stress on the battery, takes longer, and gets you near the overcharge (= danger) range.
I personally charge to 4.15v, and don't notice any difference.

This post might help you, as it did me...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=10606
BTW, I have an iCharger 306B.
You might want to invest in something like this also:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8927
T J Gilbert is online now Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Feb 21, 2013 at 07:44 PM. Reason: details
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:52 PM
Joined Feb 2007
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
You would need to replace the stock Rx with a Spectrum compatible one.
That's all? I have several Rx's laying around. What translates the signal to the ESC's?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:53 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1000 View Post
That's all? I have several Rx's laying around. What translates the signal to the ESC's?
The naza flight controller.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:59 PM
Joined Feb 2007
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
The naza flight controller.
Thanks, that's interesting. I'll have to look into it.
Joe C
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:05 PM
United States, MI, Owosso
Joined Feb 2013
238 Posts
New member, as I just recieved my Phantom and Predator2 FPV kit. Put everything together and took it outside just before dark today. I only hovered it for a bit, stood looking down at myself through the goggles from 20 feet up. Interesting experience. It was 20F with a 10 MPH north wind and almost full dark, so had to be satisfied with a quick test.

Having read all 283 pages of this thread and the manual while waiting for delivery of the Phantom helped a lot towards a smooth first flight test.

I couple years ago I flew a couple cheap $100 pusher prop planes to the point of having more repair tape than original plane and had a blast. But to see the Phantom hover still and steady in a 10 MPH wind with my hands off the controls is amazing.

Now just need to get more batteries and warmer weather.
Northbound is offline Find More Posts by Northbound
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:16 PM
Joined Dec 2002
663 Posts
Prop nuts of your choice

Prop nut: I am fortunate enough that I havenít had the prop nut flew off in flight but several members were not that lucky. To protect my Phantom, I looked around and found several options. From left to right:

The stock Cone prop nut which I bored out the bottom because the Phantom motor shaft differs from other; it has 6mm thread and main 8mm bottom shaft. This works fine for stock prop because of the thick (tall) hub but when one tries to fit the Graupner 8x5 prop which has thin (short) hub sometime even at fully tighten down the prop nut, the prop is still loose! This is not because the top of the shaft hit the top of the inside of the prop but because the prop nut can only be turned down until the bottom touch the 8mm shoulder, so if the hub is shorter than the shaft bottom you canít tighten it down unless you use the 8mm washer underneath the prop or 6mm washer on the hub. But I chose to ream out the bottom part of the nut as seen in the picture.

Next is the acorn nut which is a cheap replacement if you lost the stock ones.

The third ones are the nylon insert lock nut (nyloc) which come in many flavors (the picture shows the steel on the left and the stainless steel on the right), the anodized ones can be found on eBay.

Next is called Flex-Top Expanding Hex Locknuts http://www.mcmaster.com/?m=true#hex-locknuts/=lkywx6 which I really like because after 20 or so times of removing and screwing them back on, I can still feel the tension when the top part comes in contact with the thread on the shaft. But there is a problem when I use the Graupner prop because the nut is too tall so at full down, the top part is still not catching the thread. As you can see from the picture, the one on the right hand side was cut down on the bottom.

Next the Serrated-Flange Hex Locknuts which have wide base and serrated underneath. They are heaviest among all though.

Last ones are the special lock nut that have the teeth on the top which is popular in rc car engine. The picture shows HPI lock nut from: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFYR4&P=7

The red paint that you see, I put it on the ones that donít have the locking features so that it works like one.
I also have the titanium 6mm nut on order.

On my other multicopter, I use the acorn nut without any problems but I donít want to take a chance with my Phantom which carries camera and such.

Most of the prop nuts can be purchase at McMaster but you can also check your local hardware stores or Pep boys. I found them also at Lowes and Home Depot.

Some of my washers.
tanasit is offline Find More Posts by tanasit
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:08 PM
United States, CA, Imperial Beach
Joined Dec 2012
304 Posts
New Phantom - Love it!

I'm new to flying this thing, just got it on Wednesday. Happy to be able to flip it to GPS mode and snap photos like this near my house in San Diego!
Firebug24k is offline Find More Posts by Firebug24k
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:28 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Nice picture ... got the rainbow in the background. That must be a spaceship.
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:55 PM
Living and Learning
United States, WV, Bridgeport
Joined Mar 2008
104 Posts
(snip -- is in reply to the nuts post)

This is a VERY useful post, thank you for taking the time and effort!

I went to the hardware store but had no idea what the terminology is for for the nylocks... I got very close though, just slightly wider than the thread on the shaft. Which sounds like a silly mistake, but it was before my phantom had even arrived. Oh well it was a crapshoot.

So when I'm looking at those boxes upon boxes of nyloc nuts, what is the letter / size / etc that will work with the graupners?
fire-eyes is offline Find More Posts by fire-eyes
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:24 AM
Joined Jan 2013
165 Posts
PantoMount X2 Issue

Hello O wise ones. I just attempted to install my newly received PhantoMount X2 from RC-Drones by directly plugging the servos into the naza as a test before buying extensions. After plugging into the naza and powering up the unit I get repetitive beeps and no lights. I then disconnected the servos and tried powering the unit up again with the same repetitive beep results. Can anyone please advise what the issue may be.

Thanks in advance

David
Oztravels is offline Find More Posts by Oztravels
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:07 AM
The Netherlands, NB, Goirle
Joined Jan 2013
40 Posts
still no Phantom software for the Mac. What a shame of DJI. Now I'm not able to turn on the IOC
krijnberg is offline Find More Posts by krijnberg
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:08 AM
Joined Jan 2013
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oztravels View Post
Hello O wise ones. I just attempted to install my newly received PhantoMount X2 from RC-Drones by directly plugging the servos into the naza as a test before buying extensions. After plugging into the naza and powering up the unit I get repetitive beeps and no lights. I then disconnected the servos and tried powering the unit up again with the same repetitive beep results. Can anyone please advise what the issue may be.

Thanks in advance

David
These are the servo leads supplied with the PhantoMount x2 from RC DRONES. They can be inserted two ways.
Oztravels is offline Find More Posts by Oztravels
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:09 AM
Joined Jul 2011
665 Posts
Please keep the notes in mind about Phantom Flying.

1. Do NOT install any other equipments or covering on the top surface of Phantom, that will probably affect GPS signal and funtions.

2. Terrible crash of Phantom can cause internal sensor error or damage of main controller. please try to be careful to fly, and reach your dealer if you encounter this kind of problem.
DJI INNOVATIONS is offline Find More Posts by DJI INNOVATIONS
Site Sponsor
Last edited by DJI INNOVATIONS; Feb 22, 2013 at 06:00 AM.