HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:17 PM
Joined Jan 2013
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by avconslt View Post
Hi Guys,

This may be a dumb question, and possibly answered before somewhere on here, but where do you get power for the FPV transmitter on the Phantom? Do you tap into the Phantom battery or do you have to have a second battery? Also, if you use a monitor on the your radio transmitter do you have to have a separate battery for that or can you run it off the transmitter battery? If so, how do you tap into it? Can you use the charging plug port? I have am using a Walkera Devo 10 radio. Thanks.

Richard
Your flight battery is used for your FPV transmitter. The XT60 cable goes to the Phantom and the balance cable goes to the power for the transmitter. Most people generally dremely out a small notch on the left or right side of the battery door for the cables to route.

If you are running a monitor off of your transmitter, use a separate battery. Most video receivers will have a left/right audio out and a video out. Those go to the small display input ports. Just use a small 1100 mah battery. Any barrel connector to JST cable usually will do the trick.
cargasm is offline Find More Posts by cargasm
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:23 PM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Feb 2013
98 Posts
Question about Hobbyking - how do I get my batteries to ship from the US warehouse?
right now I get these options for shipping:

Postage & Payment type
International (Registered) Air Mail 301-500g $9.99
EMS Express to USA (under 500g) $21.99
UPS Express 3 Day (USA) 1kg $34.93
SingPost AirParcel 2kg / 7-21Days

How do I go about getting the batteries shipped from the US? Is that automatically done? Is that something tied to me using PayPal? (I could use my credit card, makes no matter).

Any ideas here?

the batteries I'm ordering:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html
hellaskan is offline Find More Posts by hellaskan
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:26 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellaskan View Post
Question about Hobbyking - how do I get my batteries to ship from the US warehouse?

Postage & Payment type

How do I go about getting the batteries shipped from the US? Is that automatically done? Is that something tied to me using PayPal? (I could use my credit card, makes no matter).

Any ideas here?

Not all batteries are stocked @ the USA warehouse. You have to choose those in order to get them shipped.

Shipping from China I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS choose UPS. I get the package at my door 5-6 days later.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:26 PM
Joined Apr 2009
121 Posts
What TX antenna works best for 5.8mHz FPV? Thanks.
avconslt is offline Find More Posts by avconslt
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:32 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
RPM will keep them mostly dry. Roswell Flight Crew flew their waterproof quad in a carwash. Check them out on YouTube
Just watched it... Interesting.
RFTC: RQCX-3 "Raven" FPV Hexacopter Technical Report (6 min 0 sec)
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:50 PM
Joined Jan 2013
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUCD VPR View Post
Can you guys share what FPV systems you are running? Including the antennas etc and or if you are using an aftermarket controller?

I REALLY want to buy the Fat Shark System but just not sure yet what the best route/deal to go is. Fat Shark Gen 2 Predator with FPV cam and receiver for $300 from Hobbyking....or the Fat Shark Gen 3 Dominator goggles $300+ W/ receiver etc, GO pro Hook up etc? $??

Just looking for what the best route to go is and what else I need for FPV. I'm sure the antennas etc are the issue because I'd like to go long range but understand the stock TX has a short range compared to what i've seen on FPV videos. Looking for 2 miles if possible? Trying to figure what this is going to cost.
Any FatShark system will do as long as the transmitter is 250mw or better. Get a set of Skew Planar antennas from Circular Wireless (they sell these on ReadyMadeRC for around $90/pair) and also get a Go Pro to Immersion cable. This cable takes audio/video from Go Pro and plugs directly into the Immersion Transmitter from the Fat Shark system. Your Go Pro becomes your recorder and flight camera. With those antennas, members are getting 1.4 km flights.

Your FPV system now has a greater range than your Phantom. 2 miles with the Phantom is not possible without a UHF transmitter/receiver for the Phantom to control it with. Also, given the battery restrictions with the Phantom, I don't think you would have enough battery to get out that far and back. I am guessing maybe a mile and a half would be the limit while staying under the 10:30 mark with good 2500 mah batteries and the additional weight of the fpv components.

Wheels_UK just posted this not too long ago of his flight with the same setup as a reference.

DJI Phantom 1.4km FPV Flight (5 min 27 sec)
Last edited by cargasm; Feb 21, 2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:54 PM
Joined Apr 2009
121 Posts
Cargasm,

Thanks for the info! What voltage battery do I need? Are you talking about running the monitor off a second battery? What about the RX? Is the barrel plug to plug the battery into the monitor? Thanks.

Richard
avconslt is offline Find More Posts by avconslt
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:57 PM
Joined Dec 2002
661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire-eyes View Post
FYI this is a 2S 7.4V, not a 3S 11.1V which I so far understand to be what the Phantom uses.
Opps...sorry for that I got mine from RC Dude but the correct link below is of the same price:

http://www.amazon.com/Hyperion-G3-Li...=hyperion+2500
tanasit is offline Find More Posts by tanasit
Last edited by tanasit; Feb 21, 2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:59 PM
Joined Jan 2013
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellaskan View Post

Postage & Payment type

Any ideas here?

I think you have to make sure you are on the correct Hobbyking website. This link is to the international site. In upper left corner, select country and it should take you to the US site. Once you are on the US version of their site, then you punch in the model battery you want. The price may change some too, when I ordered mine, the US was a few more bucks then the UK ones (even accounting for the currency exchange). Like I said, ordering from there was a frustrating experience, but getting batteries for @ $16 is sweet!
Pfreddy is offline Find More Posts by Pfreddy
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:02 PM
Waukesha, WI
Joined Dec 2002
560 Posts
Edit: nevermind......
R Hudson is offline Find More Posts by R Hudson
Last edited by R Hudson; Feb 21, 2013 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Changed my mind about sharing this thought.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:04 PM
Joined Dec 2002
661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
That's why it has been out of stock... It is an excellent replacement for the OEM battery.
This one is better but a tight vertical fit. 27mm is the max opening size.

It really doesn't take that much longer to get it from here...
Yes, I went for the 25-50C one because in the past I used higher C-rate Nano Tech and found out that one cell in a pack usually went dead first. I even returned for the exchange but perhaps not worth the shipping and a month wait. Also the Pahantom doesn't need higher than 20C.
I just checked and both C-rate are in stock in US ware house.
tanasit is offline Find More Posts by tanasit
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:06 PM
Joined Jan 2013
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by avconslt View Post
Cargasm,

Thanks for the info! What voltage battery do I need? Are you talking about running the monitor off a second battery? What about the RX? Is the barrel plug to plug the battery into the monitor? Thanks.

Richard
Phantom has to run on 3S or 3 cell batteries (11.1 volt). 4S or 4 cell is not recommended as it will burn out your ESC or LED's on the craft over time. I recommend the Turnigy 2200 mah 3S batteries from Hobbyking for the Phantom and to power the Video Transmitter of the Fat Shark Immersion 250mw setup. These batteries are around $10-$15 each.

Fat Shark goggles come with their own battery 2S, 7.4 volts. These batteries have the barrel plug and also a balance cable for charging purposes. That is all you should need for exceptional clarity and good distances.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:10 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2013
389 Posts
I brought my Phantom to the Caribbean for some beach time. I had fun carrying it in its case through security at the airport. Laptop computer, computer bag, etc all went through the X-ray machine with no issues. The Phantom in its case went back and forth through the scanner a couple of times as the security guy took a good look while scratching his head. "What the heck is this thing? Mind if I take a look?"

No security issues at all, he was just very curious to see what's in the case.

I explained what it was and he said, "Way cool! Where do get one of those? How much does it cost? Is it difficult to fly? etc..."

When we arrived in the Dominican Republic, the same thing happened. While everyone else carried their luggage past, we were picked at random to run our bags through the scanner at Customs. Everything fed through without problem, but the Phantom case got pulled aside. He asked me to open it up and explain what the heck that thing is. "Way cool! Where'd ya get that? How much does it cost?...." Too funny.

The internet connection is much too slow to upload any video from here, but here are some teaser screen grabs for y'all until I get home to upload the video.

It was a fairly windy day above the treeline, blowing out to sea. Difficult to get smooth video under those conditions. But as long as I stayed low with the Phantom, the images turned out well.
Zbip57 is offline Find More Posts by Zbip57
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:14 PM
Joined Jan 2013
95 Posts
Man! That looks beautiful Zbip57! I am jealous! Wish I was there. Get some good footage while you are there.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:27 PM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Feb 2013
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfreddy View Post
I think you have to make sure you are on the correct Hobbyking website. This link is to the international site. In upper left corner, select country and it should take you to the US site. Once you are on the US version of their site, then you punch in the model battery you want. The price may change some too, when I ordered mine, the US was a few more bucks then the UK ones (even accounting for the currency exchange). Like I said, ordering from there was a frustrating experience, but getting batteries for @ $16 is sweet!
For US folks:
The ones we all want are out of stock in the US warehouse, and I don't know how much shipping is from the US to US.. but from China (UPS 3 day), it tacks on another 30+ bucks, which makes my 17 dollar batteries x 2 a 70 dollar purchase.

Anyone wanna chime in on what they paid for similar spec batteries from another seller or the same battery from the US warehouse? I am wondering how much more I am possibly spending getting these from China, vs another similar battery from a US seller or waiting til they are in stock in the US Hobbyking warehouse.
----------

Zbip57 - that looks awesome!! How scared were you to fly it over the water?
hellaskan is offline Find More Posts by hellaskan
Last edited by hellaskan; Feb 21, 2013 at 02:33 PM.