Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:11 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,195 Posts
Precipitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUCD VPR View Post
Can I fly the Phantom while it is currently snowing and or sleeting? Or do you think condensation will get into the boards etc? I'm asking because my batteries are about to be charged up full and it just started to sleet and snow out and i am itiching for another flight to get some GO Pro footage over my house.
Anything you do that involves moisture, you do at your own risk.
There have been several snow + flying videos posted.
Since sleet is ice pellets, that might be pushing it to fly.
I've not seen a rain + flying video.
My $.02
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:15 AM
USA, NJ, Egg Harbor Township
Joined Feb 2007
354 Posts
Camera & Tx mount

Hello all,
Here are a few pictures of how I mounted the camera and Tx on the Phantom. I'll be using the flight battery to power the Tx. Do you think it will be to nose heavy? The cable that goes between the camera and Tx can be bought at gothelirc.com. Cost is $9.99 and it works great.
Joe C

Name: IMG_0138.jpg
Views: 255
Size: 142.8 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_0139.jpg
Views: 227
Size: 108.5 KB
Description:
flyboy1000 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy1000
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:24 AM
Joined Oct 2006
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Water + electronics. It's a risk I wouldn't take without first protecting all electronics.
That is kinda what I was thinking...dang.... i'm chomping at the bit for more flight time. Anyone waterproof their electronics? I'm not wanting to void my warranty right now.... at least not for quite some time but I waterproofed my ESC and Brushless Mamaba MOnster combo on my Brushless E-Revo with CorrosionX and it is waterproof now, I just redo each year. Essentially wouldn't something like that work as well on the Phantoms electronics? Or what other methods are there?
JUCD VPR is offline Find More Posts by JUCD VPR
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:26 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
I've heard of people using CorrosionX on Multi's.... I am not risking my $3k worth of gear to being impatient
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:26 AM
Joined Oct 2006
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
Anything you do that involves moisture, you do at your own risk.
There have been several snow + flying videos posted.
Since sleet is ice pellets, that might be pushing it to fly.
I've not seen a rain + flying video.
My $.02
Thanks, I wondered the same thing. I also have seen many youtube videos of foggy morning flights. I figure the air must be full of condensation right? I wonder if anyone has had any problems?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:27 AM
USA, NJ, Egg Harbor Township
Joined Feb 2007
354 Posts
Quote:
That is kinda what I was thinking...dang.... i'm chomping at the bit for more flight time. Anyone waterproof their electronics? I'm not wanting to void my warranty right now.... at least not for quite some time but I waterproofed my ESC and Brushless Mamaba MOnster combo on my Brushless E-Revo with CorrosionX and it is waterproof now, I just redo each year. Essentially wouldn't something like that work as well on the Phantoms electronics? Or what other methods are there?
What about the motors? You're sure to get water in them.
flyboy1000 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy1000
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,627 Posts
Brushless motors are fine to get wet, outside of possibly corrosion that is. This is my Aquacopter bashing around in the snow.
SNOWCOPTER 2 (4 min 21 sec)

The fear with the Phantom would be water getting inside on the ESCs.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
I never finish anyth
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1000 View Post
What about the motors? You're sure to get water in them.
RPM will keep them mostly dry. Roswell Flight Crew flew their waterproof quad in a carwash. Check them out on YouTube
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:28 AM
Joined Oct 2006
314 Posts
Quote:
I've heard of people using CorrosionX on Multi's.... I am not risking my $3k worth of gear to being impatient
Yah I hear you on that lol. Maybe i'll test out the MQX in the sleet lol.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:30 AM
I never finish anyth
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Brushed motors prop won't handle the moisture as well as brushless. If you have a MQX just fly around inside or sit on your hands till the storm passes
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:31 AM
Waukesha, WI
Joined Dec 2002
560 Posts
Quote:
Hello all,
Here are a few pictures of how I mounted the camera and Tx on the Phantom. I'll be using the flight battery to power the Tx. Do you think it will be to nose heavy? The cable that goes between the camera and Tx can be bought at gothelirc.com. Cost is $9.99 and it works great.
Joe C

Attachment 5555382

Attachment 5555383
It might wind-up just a tad nose heavy but with only ATTI and GPS modes it isn't going to fly-off on you. I know some guys try to balance it out better. A balanced quad is a cooler-flying quad.

The only other thing I would say is that most guys have their antennas pointing down for best reception.

Can you post a direct link to that cable?
R Hudson is offline Find More Posts by R Hudson
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:33 AM
Joined Oct 2006
314 Posts
Quote:
Brushed motors prop won't handle the moisture as well as brushless. If you have a MQX just fly around inside or sit on your hands till the storm passes
I'll take the advice an keep the fleet grounded until the storm passes lol. However this opens up time to run the Traxxas summit in the snow/sleet!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:37 AM
Joined Oct 2006
314 Posts
Quote:
Hello all,
Joe C

Attachment 5555382

Attachment 5555383
Can the same thing be done with the Hero 2? I am wanting to purchase the Fat Shark 3 Dominator goggles. I'd appreciate any help or guidance as to what I need from anyone willing to help me out. Thanks in advance for all the help so far guys! I was going to get the Fat Shark Predator system but I figure the Gen 3 are clearer and i'd end up wanting them eventually anyway.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:37 AM
Waukesha, WI
Joined Dec 2002
560 Posts
Quote:
Must learn patience, Grasshopper
R Hudson is offline Find More Posts by R Hudson
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:43 AM
Joined Oct 2006
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
Brushless motors are fine to get wet, outside of possibly corrosion that is. This is my Aquacopter bashing around in the snow.
http://youtu.be/-OIOwJ1J3T4

The fear with the Phantom would be water getting inside on the ESCs.
Aquacopter? Man that thing is cool. I'm going to have to look it up...i guess it is fully waterproof by the way you were burying it in the snow?