Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:39 PM
5mars
Joined Feb 2013
7 Posts
@Gary & daskim, I'm very intersted by a RX100 mount too!
By cage do you talk about something that could protect the rx100?
I would like to use my sony with the Phantom but i would like to protect it a bit from bad landings.. The rx100 weighs about 240g, is this possible with a cage or with an foam armor?
5mars is offline Find More Posts by 5mars
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:58 PM
Joined Jan 2013
44 Posts
What's so special about the rx100 that everyone is interested in mounts for it?
Kcraig99 is offline Find More Posts by Kcraig99
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:20 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2013
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosem View Post
the internal gps calculates the current altitude and geographic position when it initializes.
This is the data recorded for the go home function.
Question:

In the Phantom Advanced Manual it describes how the Home position is normally established:
Code:
Before takeoff, the current position of the
quad-rotor will be saved as home point when you
push the throttle stick for the first time after 6 or
more GPS satellites have been found.
You can also change the Home position manually as follows:
Code:
When 6 or more GPS satellites are found, you can
toggle the S2 switch between CL and HL position
quickly 3 to 5 times to record the current position
of the quad-rotor as the new home point. (CL ->
HL -> CL is one time.)
I'm guessing the manual procedure can be performed while in flight. So the Home position would be recorded as a spot up in the air at some altitude higher than ground level.

If the fail-safe return to home function is subsequently activated, and the Phantom returns to Home, presumably it will continue to descend through the recorded Home position until it touches down on the ground, and not just shut down the motors at that altitude. Right?

Just wondering... How does it sense a successful landing?
Zbip57 is offline Find More Posts by Zbip57
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:21 PM
5mars
Joined Feb 2013
7 Posts
Stabilisation, 1080p 60fps, open at f1.8 and i'm not a big fan of the gopro picture, i prefer a more filmic render.
I wait my new charger to test the rx100 video on my Phantom, next week.
5mars is offline Find More Posts by 5mars
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:46 PM
DJI Phantom pilot
The Netherlands, GE, Culemborg
Joined Jan 2013
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbip57 View Post
I'm guessing the manual procedure can be performed while in flight. So the Home position would be recorded as a spot up in the air at some altitude higher than ground level.
Hmm, not sure about that... I thought it had to be standing still on the ground...

Something to test tomorrow

Resetting Home in flight could be dangerous, but would also give interesting opportunities. Like circling around a building in Home Lock.
DutchVince is offline Find More Posts by DutchVince
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:51 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcraig99 View Post
What's so special about the rx100 that everyone is interested in mounts for it?
1. 1080/60p at 28 mbps

2. OIS (off/standard/active) - though I seldom use this.

3. One inch CMOS sensor.

4. A full manual mode with controls for aperture, shutter, ISO, and white balance.

5. Relatively light weight (238-240g).

Actually, I prefer manual settings with an f stop of over 6 in order to get a significant depth of field for focus.

F1.8 is too shallow for aerial videography for my uses.
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:57 PM
Joined Jan 2013
44 Posts
Looks like a nice camera for sure. It seems the hx30v is a close comparison for about half the price.
Kcraig99 is offline Find More Posts by Kcraig99
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:07 PM
Former IAF pilot. Retired
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Apr 2012
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVince View Post
Hmm, not sure about that... I thought it had to be standing still on the ground...

Something to test tomorrow

Resetting Home in flight could be dangerous, but would also give interesting opportunities. Like circling around a building in Home Lock.
No you can't change home position while flying.
The MC needs to be on the ground to record the GPS data including home AGL altitude.
kosem is offline Find More Posts by kosem
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:10 PM
Joined Oct 2012
1,722 Posts
The RX100 shoot 1080/60p at 28 mbps. The HX30v shoot it at 24 mbps.

RX100 sensor size - 15.86 mm HX30v Sensor size - 7.70 mm
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:23 PM
Joined Nov 2012
89 Posts
Can someone show a picture do how they have their gopro hero3 plugged into their 5.8 immersion Tx. I have the USB cable for the gopro h3 but it's not working. I don't see anything on my fatshark goggles.
jcmendo01 is offline Find More Posts by jcmendo01
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:23 PM
Joined Jan 2012
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskim View Post
The RX100 shoot 1080/60p at 28 mbps. The HX30v shoot it at 24 mbps.

RX100 sensor size - 15.86 mm HX30v Sensor size - 7.70 mm
Just bought a used HX20V today, shot test videos today and quality is amazing. Not on the Phantom yet as I need a new Naza. The 20 is the same as the 30, minus the Wi-Fi. I will be doing a wire rope stabilization mount for it next week when I get my Phantom back in the air.
Price4Flight is offline Find More Posts by Price4Flight
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:31 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2013
410 Posts
Quote:
I thought it had to be standing still on the ground...
For the gyros in the IMU to properly initialize, the Phantom needs to be standing still until the yellow LED stops blinking. And for it to get proper GPS lock you need to wait until the red LED stops blinking, indicating it sees 6 or more GPS satellites.

After those steps are successfully completed it will automatically record the Home position at the moment you first move the throttle up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosem View Post
No you can't change home position while flying.
The MC needs to be on the ground to record the GPS data including home AGL altitude.
If it's sitting on the ground, the AGL (above ground level) altitude will always be zero. But I know what you meant. The GPS records an ASL (above sea level) altitude reading with the Home position data, so it knows whether or not it first needs to climb during any return-to-home function.

But, as there is a manual method provided to allow a change to a new Home position, why wouldn't that work while flying? My question was, what happens when that new Home position includes a non-zero above ground altitude, somewhere up in the air?

I could see how that might be useful if, for instance, your take-off position is surrounded by trees that are taller than 20 m. In a fail-safe return to home incident you can't be sure that the Phantom will clear the trees on its way home.

But if you take off straight up from your clearing, then manually reset the Home position to that directly overhead location, at an altitude above the trees, you could be assured that the Phantom will always climb to at least 20 m above the treetops on its way home. Make sense?

But what I want to know, would the Phantom return to that Home position in the sky and simply shut off thinking it had landed, or would it continue a slow controlled descent through that recorded altitude until it actually landed on the ground, some distance below its Home position?

Quote:
Exactly. There are several interesting uses that could be achieved with this. The only thing is, you'd have to be prepared for the Phantom landing on top of that building in the case of a fail-safe return to home condition.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:39 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2013
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmendo01 View Post
Can someone show a picture do how they have their gopro hero3 plugged into their 5.8 immersion Tx. I have the USB cable for the gopro h3 but it's not working. I don't see anything on my fatshark goggles.
I'm still waiting on the cable for my GoPro 2, but my FatShark system came with a tiny FPV camera.

When I plugged it all in to try it out, same thing, couldn't see anything in the goggles. Just white screen.

Make sure the video transmitter and goggles are set to the same channel. Changing channels on the goggles I got all-white, static, static, static,... So I could tell the first channel was the one that was working.

Turns out I just needed to adjust the brightness and contrast settings on the goggles. They were set to max brightness so I only saw a white screen. Simple as that.

Give that a try first.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:48 PM
Joined Oct 2012
1,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Price4Flight View Post
Just bought a used HX20V today, shot test videos today and quality is amazing. Not on the Phantom yet as I need a new Naza. The 20 is the same as the 30, minus the Wi-Fi. I will be doing a wire rope stabilization mount for it next week when I get my Phantom back in the air.
Love to see the footage.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:58 PM
hsestesphoto
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Jan 2013
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbip57 View Post
Here's my carry case.

It's a Nanuk-940. http://www.hardcases.ca/products/nanuk-940
Here is the case that I just purchased from Amazon. Only $40.00 with shipping!
http://www.amazon.com/Duratool-MJ-13...proof+Tool+Box

I carry my Lipos separate in an ammo can. I have a little room to spare for future accessories
Hsestes is offline Find More Posts by Hsestes