SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:11 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,890 Posts
@transam looking nice, you are getting some altitude going there in FPV.

As a private pilot, IFR can mean two things "Instrument Flight Rules" is how FAA interprets it. but lots of pilots on overcast days consider IFR to mean "I Follow Roads" a perfectly logical way to navigate when you know where the road will take you.
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:18 PM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,385 Posts
Very nice transam! I've been itching to buy some FPV equipment but I think I'll hold off due to possible banning in my state (Texas). More info here...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post24133804

More goverment regulation...sheez!
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:31 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeeBeeGeeBee View Post
Very nice transam! I've been itching to buy some FPV equipment but I think I'll hold off due to possible banning in my state (Texas). More info here...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post24133804

More goverment regulation...sheez!
That is actually one reason I often fly just with the FatShark camera, Im reading that they are (wanting to) forbidding capturing images/video of private property, Flying FPV with a FatShark camera, you are not capturing anything, just looking at live flight cam video to manage your flight. (naturally that is a interpretation issue)

Laws prohibiting taking video or stills of private property, is a fascinating way to manage free press, you will see this trick in a lot of countries, something goes down, and next think you know, officers confiscate the images because they have a "complaint" from the owner of the house in the background. fascinating and far reaching, it is truly a powerful tool that likely have no business being applied in a free democratic country. (unless the government in TX have something to hide naturally)
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Bo Lorentzen; Feb 14, 2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:20 PM
Joined Jan 2013
82 Posts
Bo, I am thinking along the same lines as yourself. I figured I'm not going to quit my job and become a freelance sky photographer so I abandoned the idea of having a gopro on my phantom and put an FPV system in its place. I live in OR and they are trying to create a law against drones. Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360866028.641265.jpg
Views: 172
Size: 105.0 KB
Description:
Flyingskwerrl is offline Find More Posts by Flyingskwerrl
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:23 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1 Posts
Guys,

I've just created a Flickr group for the Phantom:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/djiphantom/

If you have an account join in a share your images.

Thanks Paul
paulbunyard is offline Find More Posts by paulbunyard
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:47 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
DJI Phantom Spares

I put the remaining Phantom items on e-bay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/high-gain_tu...p2047675.l2562
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:11 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ41 View Post
A question for Gary: Do the 9x4 Zingers need adjusting for use on the Phantom? Did you need to drill a bigger hole in them?

I am going to experiment with the Phantom and my Nex-5n. To save some weight, I will be buying the 16mm pancake lens (69gr) and will not be using the kit zoom lens (194gr).

The weight of the body is 269gr, so the total weight of the Nex5n with lens would be about 338 gr. The total lift-off weight would be 1138. I will try and hardmount the Nex5n first and when flying with it seems acceptable, I will add a very light weight gimbal. Probably without servos.

1138 is more than 100gr less than your setup and should be doable with the Zinger props. I read that you would probably advise to adjust some settings in the Naza assistant, to compensate for the added weight?
I just ordered 100 sets of the 9x4 and a 100 sets of the 8x5 Zingers, and they will come pre-drilled with 8mm bores. Normally, they come with 6mm holes, so we've been reaming them out. I will have these available starting next week.

My latest setup, with the added FPV gear, now weighs alb 0.3oz/1370g, and the Phantom with the 9x4s still does not have a problem lifting this much weight at all, so to answer your question, I think you will be fine.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:13 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanticbaron View Post
That does seem conclusive. Do you use the Devo 10 instead of the DJI supplied TX?
Yes

Was the GoPro attached to the Phantom at the time of the scan and was the GoPro talking to its remote or an iPhone/iPad app?

Each WiFi device was ran seperately at the same distance from the Spectrum Analyzer. The GoPro and remote were both on. I can show you a scan of them on together... no difference or interference.

It would be interesting to check to see what would be the results would be if the GoPro attached the Phantom was out of range of its remote or GoPro app (i.e. channel scanning) and 100 meters from the DJI supplied TX. It must to some degree affect the received signal from the TX.

The Phantom will use its internal RTH and at that point ignoring anything it sees. I fly this indoors all the time and have a 1 watt WiFi unit that is more than 5 times the strength of the GoPro WiFi signal without issues. This is not like an AR Drone running on WiFi

Atlanticbaron
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:19 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylex View Post
why does this dude´s phantom just fall out of the air at 0:27 seconds ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzTyI_Y7GN4
I would say he needs more practice flying. He did the same at :18 and who knows how many other times. GPS hover only works if you have the throttle at 1/2 stick. Anywhere else is up to you to keep it in the air.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:25 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post

When you reach the point that you're running from the craft you're supposed to be piloting, you're in trouble...
That's funny...
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:38 PM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
That is actually one reason I often fly just with the FatShark camera, Im reading that they are (wanting to) forbidding capturing images/video of private property, Flying FPV with a FatShark camera, you are not capturing anything, just looking at live flight cam video to manage your flight. (naturally that is a interpretation issue)

Laws prohibiting taking video or stills of private property, is a fascinating way to manage free press, you will see this trick in a lot of countries, something goes down, and next think you know, officers confiscate the images because they have a "complaint" from the owner of the house in the background. fascinating and far reaching, it is truly a powerful tool that likely have no business being applied in a free democratic country. (unless the government in TX have something to hide naturally)
It's not just Texas. It doen't make sense. If you're using a cell phone video cam, you can be in the same position if you catch someone's property in the background. Cameras are everywhere and they want to pick on drones. If you were shooting video of your kids walking down the street, someone's property will be in the shot. People have been misusing cell phone cams and invading privacy for a very long time and nothing is been done about that.

Sorry for the rant. Back to our regularly scheduled program
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:56 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Nieuwerkerk aan den IJssel
Joined Jan 2013
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
I just ordered 100 sets of the 9x4 and a 100 sets of the 8x5 Zingers, and they will come pre-drilled with 8mm bores. Normally, they come with 6mm holes, so we've been reaming them out. I will have these available starting next week.

My latest setup, with the added FPV gear, now weighs alb 0.3oz/1370g, and the Phantom with the 9x4s still does not have a problem lifting this much weight at all, so to answer your question, I think you will be fine.

-- Gary
Wow, 100 sets? Are those the same as the DJI props (CW and CCW)? Maybe a silly beginner question, but I cannot find "sets" on the internet, just the single 9x4 prop.

I am very happy that the possibility of Nex5n is a reality. Very good to know.
DJ41 is offline Find More Posts by DJ41
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:07 PM
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Oct 2012
175 Posts
Google street view records the outside of everyone's house. From what I understand is that it isn't illegal to record what is normally in public view. Now filming from up in the air is a different matter but a few years ago a company recorded from a helicopter the outside beach view of Barbra Streisand's house and she was not able to prevent this from being posted. In fact if she had kept quiet her house would not have been noticed by many people but because she made a stink about it, it caused so much more attention and it's called The Streisand Effect.
Casperhyde is offline Find More Posts by Casperhyde
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:25 PM
Joined Dec 2012
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVince View Post
Well, my reasoning is that if the wires are hard mounted to the Phantom they still will conduct some vibration frequencies to the camera, so I soft mounted them.

Soft mounting also gives me the opportunity to adjust the camera tilt by feeding the wires through the foam.
Fair enough mate. What works for us is the best and to achieve Jello free footage.
But I like the idea you have done, to keep the camera within the landing skids...

JS
Stevo42 is offline Find More Posts by Stevo42
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:28 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casperhyde View Post
Google street view records the outside of everyone's house. From what I understand is that it isn't illegal to record what is normally in public view. Now filming from up in the air is a different matter but a few years ago a company recorded from a helicopter the outside beach view of Barbra Streisand's house and she was not able to prevent this from being posted. In fact if she had kept quiet her house would not have been noticed by many people but because she made a stink about it, it caused so much more attention and it's called The Streisand Effect.
What altitude does "public view" end? There are people that have used extendable 50' pole cameras for years to take pictures. Do you think people who own planes/helicopters (fullsize) don't take pictures with them?
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites