SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:13 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
What version of goggles are you using? I hear the Dominators are night and day compared to the predators but for that much money I can build a very nice ground station. My biggest issue is I need cheaters to see that close and Goggles just are not made for the older crowd
I have the predators, and am waiting for the HD version of the Attitudes to be released.
*** I have professionally worked with significantly higher end head-mount displays, while working with immersive productions, and one fo the huge factors for great immersive experience is the peripheral vison, Ideally, we would have maybe a 720p camera with a fisheye lens, presented to our eye with a similar FOV as the camera, this would give you fantastic feeling of being there. At work with high-end displays people would literally loose their balance with the immersive experience, that do not happen to me with FatSharks. (We had a presentation with a roller-coaster shot with two spherical lenses and presented with head-tracking so you could look around with a wideangle display, incredible lifelike and immersive in that your mind is brought to believe you are having a ride. trust me, you want to sit down for that experience..!

If by any chance you are nearsighted, FatShark have a set of plug in lenses which works great. I am a bit nearsighted and use the lightest ones, the kit contain 2,4,6 strength for nearsighted.

LOVE the flip up immersive experience, not sure what I love most, the display or the nose in that shot. I have thought about a simple headmounted 7inch display a bunch of times to have the LOS and a large display for framing. but keep ending up mounting it on a light-stand. it is great that way, as you can move and just look at the screen for framing.
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:25 PM
United States, GA, Flowery Branch
Joined Apr 2012
70 Posts
I just had to back up a page to see the "Nose" again, good for a chuckle but absolutely no offense to the owner of such a fine nose.
poprocz is offline Find More Posts by poprocz
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:45 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poprocz View Post
I just had to back up a page to see the "Nose" again, good for a chuckle but absolutely no offense to the owner of such a fine nose.
Yeah... found that Goggling FPV goggles

There are some nice TX monitor holders out there for cheap. Google FPV monitor holder. Only problem is all the wiring that will be following you. I use a neck lanyard so the weight isn't an issue.

HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:55 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Seeing the pictures from HighGainTuning is just another example of the DJI prop nuts coming off mid-flight (happened to me from 100ft but I landed it (Hexa)). Sure they are pretty but if you aren't using nyloc nuts you are playing with fire.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:05 PM
Flying Phantom
Joined Feb 2013
107 Posts
@HighGainTuning:

the Carbon Water-applied Film sure looks nice!
but i am asking myself one question?
how did you get the battery lid off?!

I desperately tried (in order to fit my add-on battery which is slightly too long) but simply could not find a way to remove it...tried a very small screwdriver (fine mechanic one) to push the pin thorugh...would not move an millimeter and ruined the screwdriver`s head...

Alex
Alex84 is offline Find More Posts by Alex84
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:15 PM
DJI Phantom pilot
The Netherlands, GE, Culemborg
Joined Jan 2013
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Seeing the pictures from HighGainTuning is just another example of the DJI prop nuts coming off mid-flight (happened to me from 100ft but I landed it (Hexa)). Sure they are pretty but if you aren't using nyloc nuts you are playing with fire.
Totally agree, I have nylocs on them too.
DutchVince is offline Find More Posts by DutchVince
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:20 PM
Joined Feb 2013
433 Posts
Any link to fitting Nylocs ?
gervais is offline Find More Posts by gervais
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some pics out of my collection
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:22 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gervais View Post
An M6 nylon locknut, nothing special.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:31 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex84 View Post
@HighGainTuning:

the Carbon Water-applied Film sure looks nice!
but i am asking myself one question?
how did you get the battery lid off?!

I desperately tried (in order to fit my add-on battery which is slightly too long) but simply could not find a way to remove it...tried a very small screwdriver (fine mechanic one) to push the pin thorugh...would not move an millimeter and ruined the screwdriver`s head...

Alex
My pin pushed right out
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:33 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gervais View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
I buy mine at a local hardware store... all of them have it. Take in a motor and/or DJI prop nut to ensure fit. I replace them all every 3rd removal of props. I think they are like $0.50/ea?
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:33 PM
United States, IL, Springfield
Joined Jan 2010
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
Yep, less than $2 for a set of 4 at most hardware stores.

-X
Xymph is offline Find More Posts by Xymph
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:43 PM
Joined Jan 2013
413 Posts
Just learned a lesson.... twice. Don't push your luck in 28mph gusts.

My gimbal tilt-axis mount was the first victim, its in 10 pieces but the GoPro is undamaged. 2 of 4 APC props were the second set of victims. The Gaupners in the first crash looked rough but after some sanding they were still almost perfectly balanced, only one need some work.

The rest of the quad is fine, still a tough little bugger.
FITandFUEL is offline Find More Posts by FITandFUEL
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:55 PM
Joined Feb 2013
433 Posts
Thx for the hints, I thought some special lightweight version is required.
gervais is offline Find More Posts by gervais
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some pics out of my collection
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:44 PM
Experienced but not an Expert
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Hello all, I just got my Phantom, and I have been going through the setup procedures. Now that I've calibrated the compas, and run it through the basic calibration using the setup software, I'm having problems getting the phantom motors to come on for it's first flight. I get the green flashing light (not rapid, but slow) when I have it in GPS mode, and slow flashing yellow when I have it in ATTI mode. I've also calibrated the transmitter. But when I go to throttle up, nothing happens. It's like when installing an ESC for the first time, you have to calibrate the throttle so that the ESC knows your throttle range. Do I have to do that with the Phantom before it's first flight? I didn't see that in the manuals. I will go back over the manuals and do some troubleshooting in the mean time. But any advice you all might have would be appreciated.

Thanks.
seahawk1984 is offline Find More Posts by seahawk1984
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:46 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawk1984 View Post
Hello all, I just got my Phantom, and I have been going through the setup procedures. Now that I've calibrated the compas, and run it through the basic calibration using the setup software, I'm having problems getting the phantom motors to come on for it's first flight. I get the green flashing light (not rapid, but slow) when I have it in GPS mode, and slow flashing yellow when I have it in ATTI mode. I've also calibrated the transmitter. But when I go to throttle up, nothing happens. It's like when installing an ESC for the first time, you have to calibrate the throttle so that the ESC knows your throttle range. Do I have to do that with the Phantom before it's first flight? I didn't see that in the manuals. I will go back over the manuals and do some troubleshooting in the mean time. But any advice you all might have would be appreciated.

Thanks.
You need to arm it before throttling up. Move the sticks to the bottom inside corners and the motors will spin up.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor