HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:07 AM
Joined Jan 2013
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamen View Post
What kind of flight times are you guys getting out of the Phantom, with the GoPro?

I did some filming, mostly hovering. I started with a full battery (4.2v per cell) and after 4 minutes and 30 seconds the cells were at 3.8v.
I do testing with the Stock battery as it goes pretty quickly (8 mins or so with video transmitter and go pro attached). The real flying I save for my Turnigy 2200 mah 25-35c's). I get just shy of 11 mins with the Go Pro attached of flying time. More or less depending on how aggressive I fly.
cargasm is offline Find More Posts by cargasm
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:14 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Feb 2013
1 Posts
I reached 13 min, with GoPro (Hero3 black edition) and original lipo, flying slow.
Luftbildaufnahme
luftbildaufnahme is offline Find More Posts by luftbildaufnahme
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:40 AM
Joined Sep 2011
688 Posts
What battery voltage do you have after the flight? I am using the GoPro1, it might be heavier than the 2/3.
beamen is offline Find More Posts by beamen
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:48 AM
Former IAF pilot. Retired
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Apr 2012
780 Posts
Will you guys dare flying so high with your Phantom?

DJI PHANTOM DANS LES NUAGES 350 METRES (6 min 40 sec)
kosem is offline Find More Posts by kosem
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:50 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosem View Post
WOW. thats pretty high. and probably well outside of visual range for full control, Im guessing flying GPS and just throttle up up up.. then reduce power to return.

There is a bit of a conflict here. actual aircrafts are expected to keep 500 feet altitude over fields, he is in the 900+feet range. and would likely not be able to drop the quad safely at a appropriate speed if a small aircraft approached flying that low. its a day with low cloud level, so if a small private aircraft flew VFR, he might be tucking under the clouds. (though he probably would not have enough separation to the clouds to do that legally.. but still)
Just saying, Im not entirely sure this is territory where the Phantom belong.
Bo Lorentzen is online now Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:28 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,698 Posts
Bo I agree. I always fly under 400 feet. Too many things in the sky to hit and sometimes they are below their hard deck. Two wrongs don't make it right.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:36 PM
Joined Sep 2011
688 Posts
Filming my Rottweiler puppy's first reaction to this "UFO":
DJI Phantom - Rottweiler Puppy's First Encounter. (2 min 46 sec)

Everything stock (as of now), balanced props only. Gary's isolation mount and props are on their way in the mail but there is little to no jello in this video. Probably due to low brightness.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:42 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Joined Jan 2008
2,704 Posts
Ed, 100% with you on this.

As a pilot I have seen seaguls zip past the canopy that I barely realized was there, a white Phantom is equally impossible to spot at 200knots.

And I fear exactly this area is going to be highlighted in big capital letters when rules and regulations for UAV and hobby UAV start to become law. close calls will be talked about, consumer videos exactly like the above will be featured as evidence etc. I have seen videos with hobby UAV's flying FPV above 5000feet agl, and that is exactly the kind of thing that make the hair stand up on the back of every NTSB inspector, FAA rule makers, and likely most commercial pilots wondering if there is a hobby UAV in their approach to LAX.

400 feet AGL goes a long way, I rarely have seen a aerial establishing shot or a aerial crane move needing to go outside of this box.

But I realize this is emotional ground in the RC world, there is a lot of people not agreeing with me who feel they should have the right to fly FPV in airport approach patterns. maybe they should have that right, but then they should probably be subject to carrying transponders to be visible to aircrafts flying IFR and be themselves filing and flying according to a IFR flight plan so that ATC can manage their separation from other aircrafts in the same space.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:46 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Joined Jan 2008
2,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamen View Post
Everything stock (as of now), balanced props only. Gary's isolation mount and props are on their way in the mail but there is little to no jello in this video. Probably due to low brightness.
Nice flight, video looks good, My dog refuse to have anything to do with the Phantom or any of my flying multirotor toys for that matter. (she ignores the s800 as plainly evil but belonging to me)

Gary's isolation box will do great for jello.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:23 PM
DJI Phantom pilot
The Netherlands, GE, Culemborg
Joined Jan 2013
242 Posts
Kind of offtopic:

I shot 720p60 with GoPro an Phantom and everything is jello-free.
Then I uploaded it to YouTube and guess what:
YT turned it into 30 fps and the jello is back!

How do I convert from 60 fps tp 30 fps without reintroducing jello???
DutchVince is offline Find More Posts by DutchVince
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:24 PM
Waukesha, WI
Joined Dec 2002
560 Posts
Quote:

http://youtu.be/flpy6yQH-mM
No I won't. And it's not because I am afraid. It is because I am a responsible pilot. I don't want to be "the guy who ruined everything for everyone".
R Hudson is offline Find More Posts by R Hudson
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:41 PM
Joined Sep 2011
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
Nice flight, video looks good, My dog refuse to have anything to do with the Phantom or any of my flying multirotor toys for that matter. (she ignores the s800 as plainly evil but belonging to me)

Gary's isolation box will do great for jello.
haha. The S800 is probably a bit scarier than the small Phantom for dogs

I took another video of my FunCub (dad was flying), so check it out if you want to see more.

I can't wait to see the gimbals that are getting made for this thing. People are making a lot of cool stuff for the Phantom.

Full FPV on the way as well, so that will be fun! It will be nice to know where I am filming, instead of guessing where the camera is pointed.

This thing is a blast to fly! It's so cool that we get such good video from such a small and relatively inexpensive toy.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:52 PM
Joined Jan 2013
19 Posts
Quote:

http://youtu.be/flpy6yQH-mM
Yes why not?
Thats only about 240m but in my defence it was my second flight ever:
DJI Phantom GoPro 3 Black Edition in Recklinghausen (3 min 34 sec)

Art
ArtSteinhauser is offline Find More Posts by ArtSteinhauser
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:00 PM
Joined Jan 2013
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVince View Post
Kind of offtopic:

I shot 720p60 with GoPro an Phantom and everything is jello-free.
Then I uploaded it to YouTube and guess what:
YT turned it into 30 fps and the jello is back!

How do I convert from 60 fps tp 30 fps without reintroducing jello???
60p does not help you much to get a jello-free picture.
In 60p the jello is only too fast to be seen on you computer, but its still there.
Just play the clip in VLC Player and reduce the speed to 0,5 or 50% and you will see there is still a jello.

You have to eliminate the Jello there where it comes from, the props.
You have to balance them with a simple cheap balancer for 10$ or so, that should be enough for the most people.

Here is for example a cheap one.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Balancer.html

That should be enough!
The rest like Moongel Pads, Anti-Vibrations Pads and every other mounting anti vibration kid is just makeup. If you look a phisics it theaches us that vibrations come from unbalanced turning objects. For Ex: Put only one heavy thing in you washing machine and the machine will wobble, make it full and everything is fine.

I am filming in 30p and 60p and and even in 120p for very slow motions, and no jello even in 15p in 4K mode, maybe a tiny little bit:
Here:
DJI Phantom - The spirit of winter (0 min 0 sec)

Art
ArtSteinhauser is offline Find More Posts by ArtSteinhauser
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:04 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,036 Posts
I've found some of those cheap balancers to be off center and out of balance. Better to get a good one IMHO, like the one DUBRO makes.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor