HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:46 PM
Joined Jan 2013
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
Cargasm, I would be a little concerned with the airflow over the frame with those 9" graupners. It is up to you but I would not do it.
The weather has been really windy and not ideal for flying, but I just took it out for a quick check to see how stable it is. Even in the wind, it is rock solid. Hopefully it is sunny out tomorrow and I can get some footage. Looking forward to letting her stretch her legs.
cargasm is offline Find More Posts by cargasm
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:19 PM
Joined Jan 2013
19 Posts
DJI Phantom - The spirit of winter

I finished my new DJI Phantom Movie - The spirit of winter:

DJI Phantom - The spirit of winter (0 min 0 sec)

Here is also the 20Mbit 1080p Version:
DJI Phantom - The spirit of winter (0 min 0 sec)

This time I tried to use the copter for a cinematic movie.
My target was to do a very stable flight without any vibrations or disturbances.
If you fly very slowly and make only small adjustments, the DJI Phantom with the GoPro hero3 Black Edition is a very useable tool for low budget / micro budget filmmaking.

The next step to get an even smoother movie you have to pay at least five times as much as for the DJI Phantom. At this moment I think thatís not necessary for me. I am very happy with the results.

My next step wll be to try to use a gimbal, to improve the stability while turning or flying fast and FPV to see what you film, because the WIFI from the GoPro 3 in combination with the iPhone is very weak. You have a range of only 30m-40m not more. A little disappointing but, okay.
ArtSteinhauser is offline Find More Posts by ArtSteinhauser
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:34 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtSteinhauser View Post

http://youtu.be/120bR95RAsU

https://vimeo.com/59279065

My target was to do a very stable flight without any vibrations or disturbances.
If you fly very slowly and make only small adjustments, the DJI Phantom with the GoPro hero3 Black Edition is a very useable tool for low budget / micro budget filmmaking.

The next step to get an even smoother movie you have to pay at least five times as much as for the DJI Phantom. At this moment I think that’s not necessary for me. I am very happy with the results.

My next step wll be to try to use a gimbal, to improve the stability while turning or flying fast and FPV to see what you film, because the WIFI from the GoPro 3 in combination with the iPhone is very weak. You have a range of only 30m-40m not more. A little disappointing but, okay.
Well said and very nice video, Phantom RTF with radio, battery charger is meant for fun flying and simple no nonsense AP using again a simple no nonsense simple GoPro.

Not even 24 months ago, to have this kind of AP result would have to spend several times more and hundred of hours in flying RC.
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:47 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:

The next step to get an even smoother movie you have to pay at least five times as much as for the DJI Phantom. At this moment I think thatís not necessary for me. I am very happy with the results.

Nice video!
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:45 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,721 Posts
@Art - beautiful work. well done.!

And the shots are very appropriate for a lot of video productions, they have "production value" written all over them. :-)
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Bo Lorentzen; Feb 08, 2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:52 AM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Mar 2012
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
@Red1One - that is all easy to do.. but kind of meaningless, its a Phantom not a cinestar, and the phantom have a empty weight of about 800g and a suggested flight weight of not more than 1000g, that leave you 200g for camera, gimbal and spare batteries. I would spend that weight on smooth camera operations and then land to change the battery.
so fun to fly, just looking for longer flight times. and, the extra added weight applied to the lower isolation plate helps with the stabilization for even a smoother flight. CG needs to be balanced vertically as well for best efficiency.
red1one is offline Find More Posts by red1one
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:01 AM
Joined Mar 2012
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
Yes...
10 minutes with 3S, 15minutes with 4S.
ive seen lots of bantering about 3s vs 4s use. DJI claims NO - LED issues. the motors and esc's should be able to handle this. i think tony at rc-drones was flying this set-up successfully. maybe he can chime in.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:02 AM
Joined Mar 2012
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
Yes...
10 minutes with 3S, 15minutes with 4S.
which manufactuer? looking for details.......
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:07 AM
Joined Mar 2012
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo42 View Post
This for those now who may still be suffering from Jello as I have finally worked it out as just mounting the wire rope isolator directly onto the Phantom without the use of vibration dampers from the mounting screws to the mount. Should have done this in the first place than spending buckets load of money looking at other systems which I was trialing but oh well ...

https://vimeo.com/59221878

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P--HRC9qSs4

I know some of you are working on the 2.7k mode but here in Aussie we couldn't get our hands on the Go Pro black to after Christmas but have a mate now who has got one and I am interested to see how it will perform on this wire isolator in full sunshine of course. I know the rig sits below the landing skids but I rather have jello free footage than a pretty looking Phantom.

Any way there is a bloke who is making these which look a great better than my ugly set up and his details are in the comments.

JS
if this works for removing jello, just add some longer landing legs to raise the phantom. Ugly problem solved.......
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:20 AM
Former IAF pilot. Retired
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Apr 2012
780 Posts
A quick question guys.
When using moongel pad, do we need longer screws to fix the stock GoPro plate?
If yes, which length fits without risking to puncture the lipo?
Thanks!
kosem is offline Find More Posts by kosem
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:22 AM
Joined Mar 2012
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
the flight time wil also change with disk loading. if you are carrying heavier load, probably better ot go to 9" prop. lower disk load will be more efficient. I've flown mine with 9" zingers. but could be pushing the esc I do fly pretty gently though. (no balls out full throttle flights)
thanks for pointing out "how" you fly ....... low and slow lite flying is what I mainly do. i may try 9 inch e-props first. i know you and Gary sell the zingers. is this a price solution or more for performance? this has probably been covered before, zingers vs, graupners - why?
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:56 AM
Joined Dec 2012
176 Posts
vimeo vs youtube 2.7 to 720p

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowek View Post
It was very windy day but I could not wait to test my mount. Flying time was 5s longer then expected So there is a jello free 2.7k and crash in one 30 sec clip. Video is unusable but looks like is jello free. Resized from 2.7k to 720p for Vimeo. Fisheye reduced no other effects applied. Can do another flight because have to wait for new props https://vimeo.com/59084682
I never check what vimeo did with this export. Im very disappointed when I discovered this. That was export from Premiere - vimeo 720 preset 5mkb and it looks OK on my PC but wimeo recompose this again after applaud. I tried few other ways and Im really surprise that youtube make a better job unless you pay for vimeo plus. I hope Im wrong and Im missing something...but difference is big.
vim comper (0 min 37 sec)
jowek is offline Find More Posts by jowek
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:45 AM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by red1one View Post
thanks for pointing out "how" you fly ....... low and slow lite flying is what I mainly do. i may try 9 inch e-props first. i know you and Gary sell the zingers. is this a price solution or more for performance? this has probably been covered before, zingers vs, graupners - why?

graupners fly fine, we feel that zinger do perform bit better in heavier wind, but biggest is availability and cost. I just hate paying 10 + per prop . graupners are bit better balanced out of pack though.

basically looking at the current requirement. according to ecalc, it looks like 8" prop will draw max of 6amp or so while 9" will draw 7amp. 8" on 4S is 9+ amp though. so my guess is the esc on phantom is probably 10amp, but since it is inside, does not get lot of airflow and likely to overheat on 4S on full. I flew my stock phantom with gopro 3/blck for 7 min and put in 1600mah. so that is close to 9.5min predicted on ecalc. (9x4)

I was wondering if LED was issue for 4S. if that is the issue, that should be easy enough to fix though.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by askman; Feb 09, 2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:17 AM
Joined Jun 2011
32 Posts
Nice Work!

Quote:

Great Video
mrexx is offline Find More Posts by mrexx
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:38 AM
Joined Jul 2012
130 Posts
Where is the best place to buy Phantom in US? In stock, most reputable, fast shipping, support after purchase, spare parts, etc.?
BH flyer is offline Find More Posts by BH flyer