Joined Mar 2003
7,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskim View Post
Gary:

Any ETA on the GoPro mount?

Any ETA on the RX100 mount?

Thanks.
I got the first batch of mounts in this morning. I'm working on the instructions right now and then I will get these up on my tppacks.com site later this afternoon. Please don't PM/email me about pre-ordering. I hate pre-orders. These will be available today, I promise.

The kits will come with all necessary hardware, and assembly/installation is pretty straight forward.

BTW, I did some more test flights today, both with and without filters, in the direct sun. Still no jello.

Okay, back to work...

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:38 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,997 Posts
Also, I forgot to add that I should be testing the tilt-only mount this weekend. It will use most of this isolation kit, for those wanting to upgrade. It just has a different mounting plate, which is the one in the middle with the four rubber grommets. Anyway, we were able to keep the same belt drive and the high-end MKS BLS950 servo, from our larger gimbals, but this is a lot simpler/lighter. Fits under the stock LG as well.

I don't know the weight yet, but I'm not at all worried about the Phantom being able to handle it, as long as the Zingers are used in conjunction with this setup. We will use 9x4s. One thing I've learned is that you can go up in weight a bit, if you have better, more efficient props. On the F550s, the most I've been able to manage, with the stock props, is about 7-1/2 pounds. With Graupners or Zingers, however, I've had setups over 9 pounds and the motors were just warm, not hot.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:47 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,736 Posts
Will 8x5 Graupners work with the Phantom as well as the Zingers?
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:53 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,084 Posts
8 or 9" graupners should be fine . for rx100, we can do a simple camera box if there is demand for it. should not be hard.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by askman; Feb 07, 2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:57 PM
Joined Oct 2012
1,736 Posts
Thanks
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:42 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2004
3,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper1 View Post
It was 75 degrees in Dallas, TX yesterday. And only a light breeze.
75 degrees doesn't compensate for being in Texas though.

And just wait 'til July!
kallend is offline Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:47 PM
Joined Jan 2013
26 Posts
First Crash

Ok I've had my first crash today and I have to say I didn't like it. It was very small and in a grass park but still upsetting.

I traveled from Salt Lake City to Boise on some business and brought my Phantom with me to kill some time today. I've had my Phantom for about 2 weeks now and have about 14 flights under my belt. I went to a park today and plugged in my first battery and the flight was awesome. When I landed because of low battery and switched to the second battery I noticed the GREEN----GREEN GREEN GREEN lights. I got the Green position lock blinks as well. I waited thinking the 3 greens after the green GPS blink would go away like the yellow warm up ones. They didn't. I thought ok. I took off to about a 3 foot hover and it started leaning hard towards one of the rotors so I corrected with opposite lean and held it steady for a second and then it started fighting me no matter which way I moved the right stick. I slowly started lowering it as it got about 40 feet from me. Like I said not an epic crash and nothing damaged but a crash none the less.

So my question is after you finish with first battery can you immediately start a 2nd battery or should you wait? I also did a compass calibration after the crash and was still getting the green-----green green green light sequence.

I just don't understand why changing the battery after a great flight would affect anything.

Fox
Sicfox is offline Find More Posts by Sicfox
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:49 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
I got the first batch of mounts in this morning. I'm working on the instructions right now and then I will get these up on my tppacks.com site later this afternoon. Please don't PM/email me about pre-ordering. I hate pre-orders. These will be available today, I promise.

The kits will come with all necessary hardware, and assembly/installation is pretty straight forward.

BTW, I did some more test flights today, both with and without filters, in the direct sun. Still no jello.

Okay, back to work...

-- Gary
Gary... any plans for a Carbon Fiber version?
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:51 PM
Joined Nov 2012
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicfox View Post
Ok I've had my first crash today and I have to say I didn't like it. It was very small and in a grass park but still upsetting.

I traveled from Salt Lake City to Boise on some business and brought my Phantom with me to kill some time today. I've had my Phantom for about 2 weeks now and have about 14 flights under my belt. I went to a park today and plugged in my first battery and the flight was awesome. When I landed because of low battery and switched to the second battery I noticed the GREEN----GREEN GREEN GREEN lights. I got the Green position lock blinks as well. I waited thinking the 3 greens after the green GPS blink would go away like the yellow warm up ones. They didn't. I thought ok. I took off to about a 3 foot hover and it started leaning hard towards one of the rotors so I corrected with opposite lean and held it steady for a second and then it started fighting me no matter which way I moved the right stick. I slowly started lowering it as it got about 40 feet from me. Like I said not an epic crash and nothing damaged but a crash none the less.

So my question is after you finish with first battery can you immediately start a 2nd battery or should you wait? I also did a compass calibration after the crash and was still getting the green-----green green green light sequence.

I just don't understand why changing the battery after a great flight would affect anything.

Fox
Might have to be something with IMU. You may have to recalibrate the IMU using advance calibration.

or

The phantom was being moved during start up.
jcmendo01 is offline Find More Posts by jcmendo01
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:53 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicfox View Post
Fox
I plug in batteries back to back all the time.

Strange that it reared its head after the battery change and no change after the compass re-cal.
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:58 PM
Joined Jan 2013
26 Posts
What is the typical light sequence after a quick battery change? I mean the IMU's should be warmed up obviously.
Sicfox is offline Find More Posts by Sicfox
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:07 PM
Joined Dec 2002
663 Posts
http://www.mcmaster.com/?m=true#hex-locknuts/=ldphwt

It is called,"Flex-Top Expanding Hex Locknuts" and works great.
Where I fly the ground where I normally take off and landing is dusty so every now and then I have to clean the motors and I also lubricate the shafts every 10 flights or so. With stock Phantom I have to remove the motor to do that, so I decided to drill a hole underneath each motor to ease my job.

tanasit is offline Find More Posts by tanasit
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:21 PM
Joined Oct 2012
1,736 Posts
What size is the LockNut?

8mm?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:43 PM
Joined Jan 2013
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmendo01 View Post
Fatshark and immersion
Any kits with that or links? I can find fatshark left and right, but not immersion.
imper is offline Find More Posts by imper
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:47 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imper View Post
Any kits with that or links? I can find fatshark left and right, but not immersion.
http://www.fatshark.com/product/1719.html
Fatshark have a kit form that you can find lots of places, include camera, VTX, fatshark and fatshark battery. plug and play with the phantom,

ImmersionRC is radios only, I would start with a fatshark kit as it have everything you need to get going.
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member