Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:36 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
5,016 Posts
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
But the thing flies like a dream, is a ton of fun just as it is.. ain't remotely possible we might be overthinking and overengineering the power consumption and maybe everything else for that matter. time to crack open a beer and go fly until I crash something in the backyard.

From one engineer to another
I agree!
I wanted to move on, but can't resist commenting.
I will stay out of it...
Next rounds on me!
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:39 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli001 View Post
We are trying out this little Puppy from Secraft today.......

The smaller dimensioned standoff's actually match up with the screw hole spacing (60 mm) in the bottom of the Phantom (or the provided mount itself), for the Camera Mount. We will see how it does. My thinking at the moment IS...It may be too soft....We shall see....
Helli, that looks great, maybe two of those side by side.? can't wait to hear how it works for you.
Bo Lorentzen is online now Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:40 PM
Triple Tree Aerodrome
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2002
406 Posts
Have to agree with BO....It flies great, out of the box and twelve minutes of flying is pretty good.....from another one of those Damn Engineers....
heli001 is offline Find More Posts by heli001
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:44 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,338 Posts
Quote:
We are trying out this little Puppy from Secraft today.......

The smaller dimensioned standoff's actually match up with the screw hole spacing (60 mm) in the bottom of the Phantom (or the provided mount itself), for the Camera Mount. We will see how it does. My thinking at the moment IS...It may be too soft....We shall see....
I was sketching out something similar today with a sorbothane core. Nice thing with this layout is that there is safety in that it can't just pull away with all hanging on sorobothane only, and the sorbothane is in compression.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:44 PM
Triple Tree Aerodrome
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2002
406 Posts
Bo,

I didn't want to get into "Drilling" any holes yet....Secraft also makes a stiffer one but I have not ordered it YET......

We use eight of these on a GO Gimbal with a NEX 5, on our S800 and they do a great job.....
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:47 PM
Triple Tree Aerodrome
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2002
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
I was sketching out something similar today with a sorbothane core. Nice thing with this layout is that there is safety in that it can't just pull away with all hanging on sorobothane only, and the sorbothane is in compression.
The supports are basically Silicone "O" rings and they could even be intermixed to achieve the right suspension...for lack of a better term.......
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:50 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,338 Posts
Quote:
The supports are basically Silicone "O" rings and they could even be intermixed to achieve the right suspension...for lack of a better term.......
Ya I'm thinking more a layer of sorbothane to act as the dampening layer between the floating plate that the camera attaches too and the ridge plate that mounts to the frame. Same concert really. The key is no direct ridged contact between frame/mount/camera.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:59 PM
Japan, Fukuoka Prefecture, Fukuoka
Joined Jun 2012
861 Posts
Sorbothane seems to be a cheap easy way to get rid of jello. Balance the props and use a few layers and might be perfect hmmm? Those videos look great!
Bravia3D is offline Find More Posts by Bravia3D
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:10 PM
Triple Tree Aerodrome
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2002
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
Ya I'm thinking more a layer of sorbothane to act as the dampening layer between the floating plate that the camera attaches too and the ridge plate that mounts to the frame. Same concert really. The key is no direct ridged contact between frame/mount/camera.
The Sorbothane should be an excellent Isolator also.....You are exactly right...Same Concert....different Group.....!

All in All...the Phantom is just almost...tooooo much fun.....! For the price, it is a very difficult platform to beat and it can really get into some very tight spaces......!

It is a shame that DJI does not price the rest of their Fleet accordingly...They have a Super Hit with the Phantom and in all honestly, for an out of the box flying machine, you can not build one as cheap, that can perform the same including the radio........!
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:15 PM
Triple Tree Aerodrome
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2002
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravia3D View Post
Sorbothane seems to be a cheap easy way to get rid of jello. Balance the props and use a few layers and might be perfect hmmm? Those videos look great!
Flying style has also got a lot to do with it...Fast, Jerky Movements are going to produce fast, jerky video......One more reason that ATTI Mode is best for video, as the machine is not fighting itself to stay in one spot.....those fast corrections, in GPS, to stay in one spot, add to the jerkiness......
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:16 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
LOL... but that is how it is most fun. I lover flying the Phantom and have a blast with it, I also have a Y6 and a s800 with zenmuse, but the pucker factor is just sooo much bigger when flying $6500 vs $650, so Im having fun with the Phantom I never thought to have with the others. and it is really good for my flying skills for sure.

BTW. my new favorite attachment material is the super-strength double side 3M tape, its 10 pound instead of 5 pound. incredible strong bond.. great for stuff that I can only get a little dap on. and yes it will stick the sorbothane like crazy also.
Tell me about it ... I have at least 8 hexa and quads, including S-800 and one F330; the Phantom has the most airtime. Get a F330 and be creative with it.
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:39 PM
Joined Jan 2013
413 Posts
Well that's great to hear! I'm very happy with my first quad purchase!

I'm have a hell of a time figure out the proper export settings for Premiere Pro to get 2.7k footage. There is a serious lack of built in hiRes export formats.
FITandFUEL is offline Find More Posts by FITandFUEL
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:50 PM
DJI Phantom pilot
The Netherlands, GE, Culemborg
Joined Jan 2013
242 Posts
How often do you guys check your nuts?

Seriously:
today my Phantom tipped over during launch and started digging towards Australia. Luckily I had powered down within a split second, so her efforts were cut short real soon and she didn't reach down-under.

Anyway: I launched her again and as soon as I wanted to hover she kept gliding to one side. I had to go 100% left/back to keep her in place, but then she glided away to right/front anyway and I had to crash land her.

Arriving at the site of the controlled crash she was upside down with one prop beside her. First I was afraid it had broken off, but then saw the nut beside the prop.

Apparently it had come loose during her digging efforts. In theory two props will try to unscrew the nut while the two others try to tighten it, during digging

What did I learn today: check the nuts before every flight or at least after an upside down landing....

A question: she crash landed in the mud, but luckily had no mud in the motors.
How would you guys clean out the motors if they had filled with mud?
DutchVince is offline Find More Posts by DutchVince
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:09 PM
DJI Phantom pilot
The Netherlands, GE, Culemborg
Joined Jan 2013
242 Posts
Today I really experienced the 10 m perimeter for Home lock:

I was flying her towards me at medium speed and it seemed like she crashed into an invisible wall, it looked very much like a "shield" in SF movies

See what happens after 7 seconds:
SF shield or invisible wall (0 min 12 sec)

Within the "shield" the Phantom is in standard mode, no lock.

I also found that switching from Standard mode directly to Home Lock doesn't always work. I first have to fly in Course Lock for a few seconds before switching to HL.
DutchVince is offline Find More Posts by DutchVince
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:09 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
5,016 Posts
Muddy Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVince View Post
How often do you guys check your nuts?

Seriously:
today my Phantom tipped over during launch and started digging towards Australia. Luckily I had powered down within a split second, so her efforts were cut short real soon and she didn't reach down-under.

Anyway: I launched her again and as soon as I wanted to hover she kept gliding to one side. I had to go 100% left/back to keep her in place, but then she glided away to right/front anyway and I had to crash land her.

Arriving at the site of the controlled crash she was upside down with one prop beside her. First I was afraid it had broken off, but then saw the nut beside the prop.

Apparently it had come loose during her digging efforts. In theory two props will try to unscrew the nut while the two others try to tighten it, during digging

What did I learn today: check the nuts before every flight or at least after an upside down landing....

A question: she crash landed in the mud, but luckily had no mud in the motors.
How would you guys clean out the motors if they had filled with mud?
Your comment about the props unscrewing themselves tells you that after every blade-strike, you need to check your prop nuts.
As far as cleaning an outrunner, there's a search function on RCG that work's wonderfully.
It gave me this...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...r#post23741568
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor