HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:08 PM
Waukesha, WI
Joined Dec 2002
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Chrome and firefox are like boxers versus briefs... just a personal preference thing.

IE on the other hand is a thong made of barbed wire.
I have no argument in regard to IE
R Hudson is offline Find More Posts by R Hudson
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:11 PM
Joined Nov 2012
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FITandFUEL View Post
Here is the raw video shot at 2.7k. Its a test with sorbothane and a mount I've been playing around with. I crashed half way through the flight and this is the second half with unbalance, freshly crashed blades. I think the results are pretty good for that!

I won't have a prop balanced until Friday so I'll have plenty of time testing just the mounts isolated ability.

Lighting sucks right now but you get the idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eKSZ...ature=youtu.be
What's your fpv setup? Looks awesome!
jcmendo01 is offline Find More Posts by jcmendo01
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:27 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskya View Post
Anyone know if parts are finally available,?
Century says their arrival this week has been pushed back again.
To me, this is one of the most disappointing aspects of the whole Phantom roll-out.
This is forcing people to choose other than original components.
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:39 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid3ways View Post
You guys might consider just mounting the ClikIt somehow to Phantom. Guaranteed to rid you of Jello issues.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...06&postcount=1
Anyone got one of these to confirm how effective it is? Something else changed between the two halves of the 'before' and 'after' video as the sound of the motors was quite different. Could he also have balanced the props?
Brandigan is online now Find More Posts by Brandigan
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:12 PM
New Boy
United Kingdom, England, Exmouth
Joined Jan 2013
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskya View Post
Anyone know if parts are finally available,?
I asked Quadcopters.co.uk about spare parts yesterday.
They replied:

"End of week we should have some spares in.
There is still a factory delay on certain parts but I'm sure were getting props and motors ."

This is a UK based seller.
R1CH is offline Find More Posts by R1CH
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:13 PM
Joined Jan 2013
394 Posts
I'll re-render it at 2.7 and upload it in that case!

Pictures of my setup can be found here;
http://fitandfuel.com/blog/fit/gopro/

FITandFUEL is offline Find More Posts by FITandFUEL
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:17 PM
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
1,755 Posts
@FitnFuel that looks great, love the two layers of suspension, im guessing that is sorbothane.?

and love the long stick to the radio, that stick is actually helping getting momentum in the camera tray by being long so that also help on jello. I might turn the antenna down to avoid geting shadow from the battery sometime when you turn around and get the battery between you and the vtx.
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:21 PM
Joined Jan 2013
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
@FitnFuel that looks great, love the two layers of suspension, im guessing that is sorbothane.?

and love the long stick to the radio, that stick is actually helping getting momentum in the camera tray by being long so that also help on jello. I might turn the antenna down to avoid geting shadow from the battery sometime when you turn around and get the battery between you and the vtx.
It is sorbothane, firmness is 30 and I believe its 3/16. I think I paid $12 for a 12x12 sheet on amazon. I tried superglueing it in previous versions but the double side mounting take seems to work better. Its pretty amazing stuff.

And thanks for the the heads up on the antenna, I've been wondering what the best orientation is and have been playing with it.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:22 PM
-Flight enthusiast_
Lake Louise, AB, Canada
Joined Feb 2000
3,561 Posts
Quote:

I expected the current draw to decrease with a voltage increase because theoretically the same amount of power was required to spin the prop.
The 4S currents were all higher than the 3S currents.

What I'd like to know is your opinion as to why this occurred...
Hi there,

Assuming I didn't miss the fact that you were using a tach to get the same rpm....

The same amount of power is NOT required to spin the props. The motors' rpm/volt rating indicates how the rpm go up with the voltage applied. Also, an inductive load like a 3 phase DC motor is not a simple ohms law because the motor is not being fed constant DC voltage. The motor with the 4S pack is probably running about 33% faster, which is a substantially higher load. In flight, throttled back to hover rpm, I guess the load would be similar and the actual outcome depends on the design of the motor.

An electric motor will do whatever it takes to achieve it's rated rpm/volt, including burning up itself (or the controller in this application) as it approaches (eventually) infinite amps

Cheers!
Glen
gpeden is offline Find More Posts by gpeden
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:37 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,755 Posts
Quote:
It is sorbothane, firmness is 30 and I believe its 3/16. I think I paid $12 for a 12x12 sheet on amazon. I tried superglueing it in previous versions but the double side mounting take seems to work better. Its pretty amazing stuff.

And thanks for the the heads up on the antenna, I've been wondering what the best orientation is and have been playing with it.
I love the sorbothane, I use the 1/2 inch thick stuff, and cut squares 10x10mm out of it. but use the gell superglue which sticks it permanently, i find it tear before peeling back off, however I do not stick it directly with glue to the phantom but have board under it which I then attach to the phantom with the attach screws.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:47 PM
Joined Jan 2013
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
I love the sorbothane, I use the 1/2 inch thick stuff, and cut squares 10x10mm out of it. but use the gell superglue which sticks it permanently, i find it tear before peeling back off, however I do not stick it directly with glue to the phantom but have board under it which I then attach to the phantom with the attach screws.
Oh the superglue bond was very permanent , that's what I didn't like about it. I have to admit that i haven't been as nice to my phantom, I've been glueing, drilling, and crashing her regularly.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:57 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,755 Posts
Quote:
Oh the superglue bond was very permanent , that's what I didn't like about it. I have to admit that i haven't been as nice to my phantom, I've been glueing, drilling, and crashing her regularly.
LOL... but that is how it is most fun. I lover flying the Phantom and have a blast with it, I also have a Y6 and a s800 with zenmuse, but the pucker factor is just sooo much bigger when flying $6500 vs $650, so Im having fun with the Phantom I never thought to have with the others. and it is really good for my flying skills for sure.

BTW. my new favorite attachment material is the super-strength double side 3M tape, its 10 pound instead of 5 pound. incredible strong bond.. great for stuff that I can only get a little dap on. and yes it will stick the sorbothane like crazy also.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:14 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,195 Posts
@gpeden

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpeden View Post
Hi there,

Assuming I didn't miss the fact that you were using a tach to get the same rpm....
You are correct.
That's why HighGainTuning said you could "hear" a difference.
It also prompted me to suggest using a tach to show relative rpm...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:24 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
You are correct.
That's why HighGainTuning said you could "hear" a difference.
It also prompted me to suggest using a tach to show relative rpm...
But the thing flies like a dream, is a ton of fun just as it is.. ain't remotely possible we might be overthinking and overengineering the power consumption and maybe everything else for that matter. time to crack open a beer and go fly until I crash something in the backyard.

From one engineer to another
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:35 PM
Triple Tree Aerodrome
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2002
406 Posts
We are trying out this little Puppy from Secraft today.......

The smaller dimensioned standoff's actually match up with the screw hole spacing (60 mm) in the bottom of the Phantom (or the provided mount itself), for the Camera Mount. We will see how it does. My thinking at the moment IS...It may be too soft....We shall see....
heli001 is offline Find More Posts by heli001