HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:41 PM
Quad Pilot
Joined Jan 2013
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchkeeper View Post
Hey all, been following this thread since the start and having a lot of fun with the Phantom I've had for a few weeks now. Some great helpful info in this thread

Quick question? Been looking to buy some extra batteries and after deciding on the Turnigy Nano-Tech's with a 25-50c discharge rating I spotted two other Nano-Tech's with higher discharge ratings, 45-90c + 35-70c.

Will these work ok with the Phantom? I noticed the DJI specs are stated as 20c.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
I made same question about same battery some post before. I got ABSOLUTE YES to this:
1- This battery apply for using with Phantom? YES, THAT'S GREAT
2- Stock charger can be use for this battery? YES, SAME BALANCER AND IS 3S.
Jumanoc is offline Find More Posts by Jumanoc
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:51 PM
Flying Phantom
Joined Feb 2013
108 Posts
so here is my Maiden-Flight
was recorded yesterday and was my first real flight with a multi-copter and any aircraft.
I thought, that it would be fun to let my girlfriend record the flight with my Hero 3 black, rather than sticking the hero onto the Phantom, so she could do both, me a favor and also get to know this "flying thing which only distracts my time from her" while doing something and not just standing around ;-)

so here is the short clip:

DJI Phantom (2 min 25 sec)

Alex
Alex84 is offline Find More Posts by Alex84
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:05 PM
Joined Dec 2002
663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowek View Post
Thanks tanasit Ill try one more time . My current Gopro mount with case ic 20mm forward then origin place. CG is noticeable OFF. So the best way is to move battery. I want keep buttery inside so swapping back front is a solution-maybe
Anyway there is a option to set distance of CG from GPS but as I remember GPS in Phantom is covered by tape or something. Where is this mark if someone wants to be exact?
I would suggest that you forget about the CG for now and go fly as is and see if there is any ill effects. This may be the easiest way out.
tanasit is offline Find More Posts by tanasit
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:13 PM
Gotta have toys!
La Jolla, CA. USA
Joined May 2006
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
Since "Fail Safe" lies between ATTI and Manual mode I can see what resistance value you can use to put it in Fail Safe if you don't use manual mode or you can add a third switch. The outputs are +3.25, 0 and -3.25

That will give you GPS / ATTI / Fail Safe
Great Tip! Has this been tested and proven to work reliably? I, and I'm sure any others, would happily trade manual mode for a return to home switch.
1bwana1 is offline Find More Posts by 1bwana1
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:12 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskim View Post
Also something I would be interested in as well Gary.
Yes, we will do this once we get the mount design finalized.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:18 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamen View Post
GGoodrum will your isolation plate with the weight of a 2 axis gimbal be ok for the Phantom? That seems to be a perfect combo. When will it be for sale?
Not one of ours, but maybe something like the small direct-drive servo ones like Jakub's.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:25 PM
Joined Sep 2011
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
Not one of ours, but maybe something like the small direct-drive servo ones like Jakub's.

-- Gary
Sweet. Keep us posted on your mounts and gimbal please. I want to order now
beamen is offline Find More Posts by beamen
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:26 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,628 Posts
Thanks, Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
This may be old news to some, but I went out today to test RTH functions in GPS and ATTI. The manual says in ATTI it will hover and in GPS it will RTH. There was a little debate about it and I just did a search and could not see an answer.

In ATTI, when signal is lost the Phantom will RTH the exact same as it does in GPS as long as you have a satellite lock. No difference. I did it twice just to make sure.

I still don't like turning off the Tx to force failsafe. A third switch would be better and only add less than a dollar in cost. IMO.
I appreciate your testing to substantiate one of our "speculations".
I prefer to maneuver in Atti mode and use GPS only for positioning.
It's nice to know that if I'm cruising around in Atti, and lose communication from trans/rec, Phantom will try to come home (satellites willing...).
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: BMPCC/Z15 Transport
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:29 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
As long as you have the home position set (by getting more than 6 satellites for at least 8 seconds before take off), the Phantom will return home during a failsafe condition, regardless of which flight mode you are in; GPS Atti, Atti, Man, or IOC.
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:36 PM
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jan 2013
34 Posts
I decided to get some extra batteries for my phantom, and these are the ones I chose.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=26472
I was a little concerned that they would not fit due to the 107mm length for the 105mm battery box, but they actually fit better than the stock battery! Once the cables are tucked away there is still plenty of room for the door to close.

I can charge all 6 in about an hour and half with my charging setup.
kubidou is offline Find More Posts by kubidou
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:26 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
In ATTI, when signal is lost the Phantom will RTH the exact same as it does in GPS as long as you have a satellite lock. No difference. I did it twice just to make sure.
Thank you Ed, thats what i thought. thank you for testing this.
Bo Lorentzen is online now Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:37 PM
Waukesha, WI
Joined Dec 2002
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubidou View Post
I decided to get some extra batteries for my phantom, and these are the ones I chose.
I was a little concerned that they would not fit due to the 107mm length for the 105mm battery box, but they actually fit better than the stock battery! Once the cables are tucked away there is still plenty of room for the door to close.

I like your charging setup. Which charging distribution block is that?
R Hudson is offline Find More Posts by R Hudson
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:57 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,581 Posts
Did a test today, flew down in a canyon from the road side, the Phantom works perfectly fine even below its start altitude, I did go down about 50 feet.. never realized how different it would be to buzz the ground when watching from above.

My question the other week is answered positively, it is possible to fly down from a bridge.
Bo Lorentzen is online now Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:03 AM
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
1,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
Did a test today, flew down in a canyon from the road side, the Phantom works perfectly fine even below its start altitude, I did go down about 50 feet.. never realized how different it would be to buzz the ground when watching from above.

My question the other week is answered positively, it is possible to fly down from a bridge.
Did you test fail safe down there too?
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:09 AM
Just got sucked into it all!!
United States, MO, St. Peters
Joined Jan 2013
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubidou View Post

Also very interested in this setup. Can't seem to track down the block though.
Quad Head is offline Find More Posts by Quad Head
RCG Plus Member