SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:12 PM
Joined Feb 2013
15 Posts
Hey all, been following this thread since the start and having a lot of fun with the Phantom I've had for a few weeks now. Some great helpful info in this thread

Quick question? Been looking to buy some extra batteries and after deciding on the Turnigy Nano-Tech's with a 25-50c discharge rating I spotted two other Nano-Tech's with higher discharge ratings, 45-90c + 35-70c.

Will these work ok with the Phantom? I noticed the DJI specs are stated as 20c.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Watchkeeper is offline Find More Posts by Watchkeeper
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:14 PM
Joined Feb 2013
1 Posts
Hi guys, been lurking a while and following this thread. What an inventive lot you are ! Brilliant, however being a complete noob and I realise this may not be technically the right place to post but,

Here goes I have ordered aPhantom, yet to arrive. This is solely for hobby use, tomorrow I have to make a quick decision on a Gopro 2hd, can I with the addition of a cable use this for fpv should I choose to go that route or do I need the 3 black.

Thanks roy
takeaflight is offline Find More Posts by takeaflight
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:16 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,920 Posts
Some have posted that they have actually gotten shorter flight times with the higher C lipos than the lower C. My feeling is with the Phantom, 20-50C will be just fine for your needs.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:21 PM
Joined Feb 2013
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
Some have posted that they have actually gotten shorter flight times with the higher C lipos than the lower C. My feeling is with the Phantom, 20-50C will be just fine for your needs.
Thanks for the swift response
Watchkeeper is offline Find More Posts by Watchkeeper
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:22 PM
Joined Jan 2013
31 Posts
Moose Encounter

I thought I'd share some footage I got of two moose last week. We spotted them while we were driving, and we were able to fly our Phantom over and get some pretty spectacular video!

DJI Phantom - MOOSE! - DJIguy (1 min 42 sec)
DJIguy is offline Find More Posts by DJIguy
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:26 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpaced View Post
http://www.centuryheli.com/products/...?prtnm=DJIPH10

Here you go, can't beat the price either - $3 a set.
Century should have their shipment some time this week. That's where I purchased my Phantom and have some spares on order also.
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:28 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend View Post
Are you sure of that? I bought some 1038 DJI props from them a few weeks back and the price was for 2 PAIRS.
The page says 1CW+1CCW
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:33 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJIguy View Post
I thought I'd share some footage I got of two moose last week. We spotted them while we were driving, and we were able to fly our Phantom over and get some pretty spectacular video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSSTO2LSY2Q
NICE! They didn't seem to mind it much... More ideas for my video library.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:06 PM
Joined May 2007
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Harris View Post
This is a video I took last night. I still need to balance the props, but with a little stabilization I was able to make a cool shot out of it. The GoPro 2 gets a lot of noise and quality loss at night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVKcF3QpwUI
Amazing shot! That was with the old GoPro? Stock Phantom setup?
TBello is offline Find More Posts by TBello
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:22 PM
Joined May 2007
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad Head View Post
I am now the proud owner of a real Du Bro prop balancer! It didn't start out easy at my LHS, but it ended up being just fine and learned a lot in the process.

For anyone reading any of these threads thinking about balancing their props, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY BY BUYING ANYTHING OTHER THAN A DU BRO PROP BALANCER!

The difference is quite simple it is night and day, period.

Now I'm off to go balance a few sets of props.
I've never balanced props before, does this balancer come with directions on the proper way to do it?
TBello is offline Find More Posts by TBello
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:26 PM
Flying Phantom
Joined Feb 2013
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpilot23 View Post
Dont fly indoors if you have little experience flying

It will end in tears
Yeah, figured that now, also...hehe
fortunately no damage done to man or machine, so I just let it "House-FLying" wise...
all went pretty well, till i tried to hard

better train outside, or see if I can sneak the Phantom into the gymnasium, since as a sportsteacher i have a key to it...

thanks for the Video on how you mounted it!
man, why didnīt i think of that?
have tons of those GoPro 3M pads laying around and mounted that way should really help bringing the Cam at/closer to the CG
guess it will also help with vibration?
since they have quite an amount of insulation between both adhesive areas.

@Casperhyde:
I wasn`t flying GPS mode at all!
the 3-4 Testflights i have done so far were all in Atti Mode and the Phantom flew quite nice actually despite the windgusts, but i could withstand them pretty good, would have thought it to be much worse.

Unfortunately the next 2-3 days it is said to blow from 22-40 knots!
severe wheather warning for our area, so no flying i guess...

I will focus on balancing the Probs properly and getting ahold of 1 or 2 spare-batteries, my dealer said he should have the original DJI ones in stock this coming week

Alex
Alex84 is offline Find More Posts by Alex84
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:54 PM
Joined Jan 2013
50 Posts
Here's some clips of much smoother flight once I balanced the props! (Until today when I shredded them getting the last shot!). Tech details on the video but here it is in a nut shell:
1)Balance Props!
2) GoPro Hero 3 Black-1080 60p medium view
3) In FCPX, import footage to a 30p timeline and slow clip to 50%.
4) Use FCPX stabilization feature (I forgot to on the one clip at 1:05-for an idea of what a non-stabilized shot looks like).
5) Fly in as straight a line as possible in ATTI mode.

I'm only looking for short smooth shots to use in my video productions. Not in capturing complete flights.

Still some warble, mostly in the sunny clips, I think it's the GoPro3 making an adjustment to battle the brighter light. Either cranking up shutter speed internally or lowering ISO? Not sure but on a bright day some kind of ND would help. Maybe adding a Gimbal but most of those that I have seen shows the props in the shots too much. Making the footage unusable for my purposes.

DJI Phantom-Smoother Flying! (2 min 38 sec)
Pfreddy is offline Find More Posts by Pfreddy
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:11 PM
Head in the Clouds
United Kingdom
Joined Jan 2013
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
No, not from a weight standpoint. Andrey says he can do a small cage-type setup for the RX100, and the Phantom should still be fine carrying this. There's not a huge weight difference between the RX100 and the H3B with the plastic case.

-- Gary
If this ever comes to fruition I would order one in a heartbeat, as I'm sure many other Phantom/RX100 owners would do.
camera_man is offline Find More Posts by camera_man
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:39 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camera_man View Post
If this ever comes to fruition I would order one in a heartbeat, as I'm sure many other Phantom/RX100 owners would do.
Also something I would be interested in as well Gary.
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:43 PM
Canada, ON, Lakeshore
Joined Nov 2007
139 Posts
Frame Drop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfreddy View Post
Here's some clips of much smoother flight once I balanced the props! (Until today when I shredded them getting the last shot!). Tech details on the video but here it is in a nut shell:
1)Balance Props!
2) GoPro Hero 3 Black-1080 60p medium view
3) In FCPX, import footage to a 30p timeline and slow clip to 50%.
4) Use FCPX stabilization feature (I forgot to on the one clip at 1:05-for an idea of what a non-stabilized shot looks like).
5) Fly in as straight a line as possible in ATTI mode.

I'm only looking for short smooth shots to use in my video productions. Not in capturing complete flights.

Still some warble, mostly in the sunny clips, I think it's the GoPro3 making an adjustment to battle the brighter light. Either cranking up shutter speed internally or lowering ISO? Not sure but on a bright day some kind of ND would help. Maybe adding a Gimbal but most of those that I have seen shows the props in the shots too much. Making the footage unusable for my purposes.

http://youtu.be/w3zYXwtqbVs
I notice you are getting an odd jerk forward from time to time throughout the footage. This is something I've seen with raw footage out of the Canon 5D MKII. It generally goes away when rendering but I've also used Cineform/Neoscene as a mid-step to resolve. Not sure if it's the same thing but just a data point for you

Regards,
Fred
fredle is offline Find More Posts by fredle