SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:32 PM
Joined Mar 2012
51 Posts
Correct startup proceedure?

I note that the DJI videos say to plug the battery in and then leave completely alone until you get slow single green or yellow flash, then but the battery cables away and shut the battery door.

I presume there is a critical time during IMU initialization that there must be no movement.

I tend to connect the battery and tuck in the wires and close the door all at the same time.

Just wondering what everyone else does.

I also notice the sometimes I see double green blinks in flight in GPS mode. This does not seem to be in the LED flash guide...
richardtheboffin is offline Find More Posts by richardtheboffin
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:33 PM
Joined Feb 2013
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
So just to make sure as this is the primary reason: The arrows on the props match the arrows on the hull?

If you do a start-up of the motors and leave the sticks still so they shut down, are the motors shutting down all at the same time? Try this 4-5 times in a row. Bring the sticks to the motor start up position and release till they shut down. They should start and stop very evenly and at the same time.

Can you have someone shoot some video?
I have found out through the assistant that I have an IMU initialization failure. Has anyone else had this error?
andrewsnts is offline Find More Posts by andrewsnts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:27 PM
Joined Jan 2013
12 Posts
Just took mine out for its first flight tonight, really enjoyed it. These things are tough, I crashed 3 times and it was fine.

I'll have to be a bit more careful with my landings in future.
LotusJay is offline Find More Posts by LotusJay
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:44 PM
Waukesha, WI
Joined Dec 2002
560 Posts
I am pretty happy with flight length. Second charge of the stock battery and I got 12:30 hovering around my living room (sans camera for now). Quite pleased so far. It held a nice 1 meter hover pattern in GPS mode INSIDE my house. This little bugger is smoooooth
R Hudson is offline Find More Posts by R Hudson
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:58 PM
DJI Phantom pilot
The Netherlands, GE, Culemborg
Joined Jan 2013
242 Posts
Today noticed a new LED sequence after the startup sequence:
GREEN-------------GREEN-GREEN-GREEN-GREEN

What does this mean?

I am used to GREEN----------GREEN-----------GREEN---------- (everything is copacetic and enoughGPS sats)

I launched anyway and then it turned to:
GREEN----------GREEN-----------GREEN---------- again.
DutchVince is offline Find More Posts by DutchVince
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:11 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,088 Posts
Believe that is that it either sensed it was moved or if it does it when not moving that it needs to be re-calibrated.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:12 PM
Joined Jan 2013
26 Posts
Mine started this light sequence today too Dutch. From looking at the light chart it looks like its saying it was moved before initialization. Which it wasn't. I did compass calibration but it was still there. Charging my 3 batteries now, I'll see if its still there in a few. If it is maybe ill hook it up to assistant and try and get rid of it.
Sicfox is offline Find More Posts by Sicfox
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:24 PM
DJI Phantom pilot
The Netherlands, GE, Culemborg
Joined Jan 2013
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicfox View Post
Mine started this light sequence today too Dutch. From looking at the light chart it looks like its saying it was moved before initialization. Which it wasn't. I did compass calibration but it was still there. Charging my 3 batteries now, I'll see if its still there in a few. If it is maybe ill hook it up to assistant and try and get rid of it.
Mine wasn't moved either.

And another strange one, after a very fast descent with full throttle at the end to brake:
RED-RED-RED-RED-RED-RED
Normally this means low battery.
But when I checked the battery it was at 30%

Weird....
DutchVince is offline Find More Posts by DutchVince
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:25 PM
Joined Jan 2013
26 Posts
Maybe I should ask this as today is the first day I'm using multiple batteries. Should the start up process be the same when you change from one battery to the next. I mean I know the IMU's don't need to warm up I believe.
Sicfox is offline Find More Posts by Sicfox
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:32 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVince View Post

And another strange one, after a very fast descent with full throttle at the end to brake:
RED-RED-RED-RED-RED-RED

Weird....
Nothing weird really.

after the fast descend, you gunned the throttle to stop the descent. so you ran the motors at max power for a few seconds, during that time, because of the consumption, the battery power dropped for a few seconds.
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:35 PM
A330 Pilot (Rtd)
United Kingdom, England, Hartlepool
Joined Jan 2013
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
Believe that is that it either sensed it was moved or if it does it when not moving that it needs to be re-calibrated.
I flew large aircraft professional for many years. Those aircraft either had Inertial Navigation Systems or latterly Interial Reference Systems. The initialisation time for these was usually about 10 minutes. If the aircraft was moved during this period, initialisation had to be restarted.

The IMU has a 3-axis accelerometer and a 3-axis gyro which must remain undisturbed during initialisation. Just connect the battery and wait for the lights to complete the start up sequence.

Atlanticbaron
atlanticbaron is offline Find More Posts by atlanticbaron
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:35 PM
Joined Feb 2008
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVince View Post

RED-RED-RED-RED-RED-RED

Weird....
That may be because of high load due to the quick throttle change?
xpower180 is offline Find More Posts by xpower180
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:47 PM
Joined Nov 2010
687 Posts
I've seen the red red red red flash when throwing yaw full stick, just learn the Naza dizzy....I brought it down, checked and had good voltage, yeah took me 2 min. To find and plug the batt checker, no percentage, but had 12.2 vdc, the bars showed almost full....
And batt was not cycled, third charge cycle...so this FC and esc has Hugh draw on full stick maneuvers,
I am getting a second Naza, for xaircraft 650, this FC is 1000 times better than axir's combo, I TRUST IT!
I went crazy, wife is away at a jerlery show teaching....bought a Night Vapor, what a blast sorry had tell, know its not a phantom or quad he he
boxhead530 is offline Find More Posts by boxhead530
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:12 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead530 View Post
I am getting a second Naza, for xaircraft 650, this FC is 1000 times better than axir's combo, I TRUST IT!
LOL.. I have a xAircraft FC fully loaded with GPS and the works sitting here, you can have it really cheap. NAZA beats it hands down any day of the week.
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:16 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,113 Posts
Here is the latest variant of our Phantom isolation mount for the Hero3 Black. Actually, it will fit any GoPro, obviously, but our specific purpose is to get enough isolation to remove all traces of jello from the H3B's 2.7k/30p mode, which is proving to be quite a challenge. This version uses four of the same silicon isolators we use on the bigger gimbal setups, widely spaced, using four of the LG mounting holes. The GP mounting plate is attached using rubber grommets with compressed silicon tubing on either side of the grommet. I will be doing a flight test of this configuration, but unfortunately it won't be until tomorrow (family duties... ).

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum