HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:53 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,794 Posts
Have you checked everything in Assistant to make sure that all the sensors are registering and you are not getting any error messages. I would try and do the advanced calibration on the sensors and then recalibrate the compass. You are not really clear on "it falls to the side". Does it flip, drift ????
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:02 PM
Joined Dec 2002
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsnts View Post
Just got the phantom and had my first crash. Now when I try to take off a flat surface it falls to the side. Any Ideas on what this might be?
Double check the prop directions! If you install the wrong props, then it will flip upon take off.
tanasit is offline Find More Posts by tanasit
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:04 PM
Waukesha, WI
Joined Dec 2002
566 Posts
Got my Phantom today. I balanced the stock props THOROUGHLY prior to my first flight. I flew for a couple minutes unloaded to test but then I got anxious to shoot video. I have yet to buy a new GoPro so I thought I'd experiment with my heavy Panasonic HDC-TM700 camcorder at a hefty 380 grams without battery

I used a dvd jewel case and stuck the camera to that. Then I used strips of high-strength packaging tape looped around the bottom of the landing skids which suspended the DVD case platform with the camera.

I was curious about two things. 1. how would it lift the weight and 2. would there be jello?

1. It wasn't necessarily happy about lifting it but it lifted it. I didn't want to push the amps for too long so I kept the flight short. 2. I was happy to see no jello. The camera bounced a bit but that was due to the packaging tape suspension system

Guys/gals.......BALANCE YOUR PROPS. That will eliminate most jello problems.

TM700 Flight (2 min 4 sec)
R Hudson is offline Find More Posts by R Hudson
Last edited by R Hudson; Feb 01, 2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:14 PM
Joined Jan 2013
82 Posts
Hey, does IOC work out of the box? I have a Mac and have not installed the software. I can't.
Flyingskwerrl is offline Find More Posts by Flyingskwerrl
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:17 PM
Joined Jan 2013
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Hudson View Post
Got my Phantom today. I balanced the stock props THOROUGHLY prior to my first flight. I flew for a couple minutes unloaded to test but then I got anxious to shoot video. I have yet to buy a new GoPro so I thought I'd experiment with my heavy Panasonic HDC-TM700 camcorder at a hefty 380 grams without battery

I used a dvd jewel case and stuck the camera to that. Then I used strips of high-strength packaging tape looped around the bottom of the landing skids which suspended the DVD case platform with the camera.

I was curious about two things. 1. how would it lift the weight and 2. would there be jello?

1. It wasn't necessarily happy about lifting it but it lifted it. I didn't want to push the amps for too long so I kept the flight short. 2. I was happy to see no jello. The camera bounced a bit but that was due to the packaging tape suspension system

Guys/gals.......BALANCE YOUR PROPS. That will eliminate most jello problems.

https://vimeo.com/58755568
Nice Christmas tree! Lol
Kcraig99 is offline Find More Posts by Kcraig99
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:20 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
5,017 Posts
Ioc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingskwerrl View Post
Hey, does IOC work out of the box? I have a Mac and have not installed the software. I can't.
It is not activated when you receive your Phantom.
Connecting to the Assistant is reported to activate IOC.
Mine's not activated as I'm still seeing what the factory settings do in varying circumstances.
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:23 PM
Waukesha, WI
Joined Dec 2002
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcraig99 View Post
Nice Christmas tree! Lol
Lol. I know. Have to put it away soon
R Hudson is offline Find More Posts by R Hudson
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:28 PM
Joined Jan 2013
82 Posts
Ok, now I'm not so frustrated. I thought I had a bad board or something. I'll keep flying as is till I get to my buddy's. Thanks TJ!!!
Flyingskwerrl is offline Find More Posts by Flyingskwerrl
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:01 AM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Can we get some specifics from DJI why 4S batteries can't be ran in the Phantom?
The NAZA M is fine with it, the motors are fine with it and the status LED is fine with it.

If the ESC's or the ESC LED's have an issue I can correct for that but I have been running it all day on some Zippy 2200 4S batteries and am getting almost 5 more minutes of flight time not to mention it is a rocket in Manual mode. I have been duty cycling the fun time in case the ESC's are getting warm but haven't seen the results of that yet. Their 214gr vs 174gr and the only issue I see so far but may be able to correct it in the assistant is when the status LED starts flashing red you are landing now whether you like it or not.
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:10 AM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsnts View Post
Just got the phantom and had my first crash. Now when I try to take off a flat surface it falls to the side. Any Ideas on what this might be?
Andrew, congratulations on the new Phantom, and getting yourself baptized into RC crashes so quickly.

Connect the Phantom to your laptop and go to the assistant software, do a advanced IMU calibration. then re-calibrate the compass outside also. chances are it will work just fine then.

BTW. make sure all motors spin at about the right speed.
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:18 AM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
Can we get some specifics from DJI why 4S batteries can't be ran in the Phantom?
The NAZA M is fine with it, the motors are fine with it and the status LED is fine with it.

If the ESC's or the ESC LED's have an issue I can correct for that but I have been running it all day on some Zippy 2200 4S batteries and am getting almost 5 more minutes of flight time not to mention it is a rocket in Manual mode. I have been duty cycling the fun time in case the ESC's are getting warm but haven't seen the results of that yet. Their 214gr vs 174gr and the only issue I see so far but may be able to correct it in the assistant is when the status LED starts flashing red you are landing now whether you like it or not.
I don't know how specific you want. The manual stated the use of 3S, and it has been warned not to use 4S. Anyone uses DJI F450, F550 and F330 know (as stated in manual) and on the motor 3S for 10x5 props, 4S for 8x5 props. And DJI 30 amp opto handles up to 4S, while the ESC for Phantom is rated for 3S.

You certainly can use 4S at your own risk. I wonder what the ambient temperature was. Now, if you are in Southern Hemisphere this time of the year, I'd day you got lucky
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:20 AM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Hudson View Post

Lets see, you hung about 400grams from the bottom of the long flexible landing gear.

So that is about half of the 800grams ready to fly weight with one battery. chances are balancing the props had nothing to do with it, but instead the gear flexed enough that the very heavy load simply was not shaken by any prop-vibrations..
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Bo Lorentzen; Feb 02, 2013 at 02:36 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:34 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,317 Posts
subscibed
Just uploading my first outdoor video atm
using the Gopro 3 Black and the Gopro stick on mount and gopro case.
seems to work ok not perfect but its fine for this quad. I did balance the props but not the hubs or motors.
Need to get a decent balancer.

Was a 38 degree C day here in Sunny Perth Western Australia today.
Now just waiting for the video to upload to youtube. 1.5Gb file taking 2 hours

Ordered the AEE Action Cam from Kogan today

Does 1080 60P and was $165 shipped to my door

http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/aee-magi...sports-camera/

videos on youtube looks very good
rcpilot23 is offline Find More Posts by rcpilot23
Last edited by rcpilot23; Feb 02, 2013 at 03:45 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:49 AM
Joined Sep 2011
696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
Yes, but neither are using the 2.7k/30p mode. I can get rid of jello from the 1080/60p mode with just a single layer of isolation. That doesn't work for the 2.7k recording mode, which is much more susceptible to jello.

For general messing around, either of these direct drive servo gimbals will be okay, in the 1080/60p mode, although I haven't seen a video that is all that smooth. What I'm going for is to have another tool in a serious/professional user's bag for doing pro-quality video in scenarios that don't lend themselves to using a larger platform, like indoors, or in tight quarters. Different market/application.

-- Gary
I see, thanks for explaining. Will you sell these gimbals that you make ?
beamen is offline Find More Posts by beamen
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:31 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Nieuwerkerk aan den IJssel
Joined Jan 2013
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpilot23 View Post
subscibed
Just uploading my first outdoor video atm
using the Gopro 3 Black and the Gopro stick on mount and gopro case.
seems to work ok not perfect but its fine for this quad. I did balance the props but not the hubs or motors.
Need to get a decent balancer.

Was a 38 degree C day here in Sunny Perth Western Australia today.
Now just waiting for the video to upload to youtube. 1.5Gb file taking 2 hours

Ordered the AEE Action Cam from Kogan today

Does 1080 60P and was $165 shipped to my door

http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/aee-magi...sports-camera/

videos on youtube looks very good
Are you sure it does 1080P 60FPS? The website says: "720p/60fps, 1080p/30fps HD Recording! " (1080i is not the same, because that is interlaced and not progressive)
DJ41 is offline Find More Posts by DJ41