HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:47 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,259 Posts
Nylon screws instead of metal might be the way to go for landing gear, stock or otherwise. Gives something to break/strip.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:56 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamen View Post
Bo's and RC-drones X2 gimbal look jello free to me? They are also using 2axis gimbal.
Yes, but neither are using the 2.7k/30p mode. I can get rid of jello from the 1080/60p mode with just a single layer of isolation. That doesn't work for the 2.7k recording mode, which is much more susceptible to jello.

For general messing around, either of these direct drive servo gimbals will be okay, in the 1080/60p mode, although I haven't seen a video that is all that smooth. What I'm going for is to have another tool in a serious/professional user's bag for doing pro-quality video in scenarios that don't lend themselves to using a larger platform, like indoors, or in tight quarters. Different market/application.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:07 PM
United Kingdom, England, Hertfordshire
Joined Nov 2012
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels_UK View Post
Mine hit a tree today... Warning contains swearing

http://youtu.be/FFiDIqQHMiM

Damn this thing is a tough little bugger.
I also had a small scap with a tree but pulled out OK.
(Near end of video)
DJI Phantom 1.wmv (3 min 20 sec)
John2905 is offline Find More Posts by John2905
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:08 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
What I'm going for is to have another tool in a serious/professional user's bag for doing pro-quality video in scenarios that don't lend themselves to using a larger platform, like indoors, or in tight quarters. Different market/application.

-- Gary
and HUGELY interesting, I just simply started making something because nothing seemed to be available, and I wanted a close-quarter option to my Zenmuse. trust me, Im all ears and very interested, I seriously thought about putting a hacksaw to a 700 with a HFG to make it fit..
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:17 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub J View Post
Hi

What do you think about replacement legs for Phantom?
Four separate legs, made using unbreakable nylon,
wider than oryginal skids (bigger span of the base) -
more stable during take-off / landing.

Are you interested?

Jakub
I would be.

Don't like the stock legs.
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:19 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,775 Posts
There is snow on the ground here.

It it advised not get the compass wet?

Or is a little moisture ok?
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:26 PM
Joined Jan 2013
413 Posts
I thought I'd share a video from one of my first recorded FPV flights with the phantom. I don't have a cable for the hero3 yet so I was using a hero2. I used 960 at 30 fps to both get more vertical resolution and to test a isolating mount at 30 fps. Protunes was on and no post stabilization or filters. I do think that the stock Protunes setting is a bit too contrasty but the point of this was raw video.

My First FPV flight with the DJI Phantom and a Hero2 (3 min 30 sec)
FITandFUEL is offline Find More Posts by FITandFUEL
Last edited by FITandFUEL; Feb 01, 2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:39 PM
Triple Tree Aerodrome
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2002
406 Posts
Gotta always watch for those WIRES....as they will certainly jump out from no where and bite you......has been a problem for every rotor aircraft, since the beginning of flight.......
heli001 is offline Find More Posts by heli001
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:02 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Joined Jan 2008
2,830 Posts
WOW. FITandFUEL, that looks great and did go really smoothly. nicely done.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:05 PM
Joined Nov 2012
89 Posts
Awesome Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITandFUEL View Post
I thought I'd share a video from one of my first recorded FPV flights with the phantom. I don't have a cable for the hero3 yet so I was using a hero2. I used 960 at 30 fps to both get more vertical resolution and to test a isolating mount at 30 fps. Protunes was on and no post stabilization or filters. I do think that the stock Protunes setting is a bit to contrasty but the point of this was raw video.

https://vimeo.com/58722650

Can't wait for my FPV kit. Just waiting on goggles. What kit do you have @FITandFUEL?
jcmendo01 is offline Find More Posts by jcmendo01
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:11 PM
Joined Jan 2013
413 Posts
@heli001 - The fisheye from the GoPro makes a lot of stuff jump out! Wires and tree branches being #1

Thanks guys, I'm very excited about the FPV possibilities. Can't wait to strap the H3 to her.

I'm using Fat shark Dominator glass with a 5.8ghz internal receiver. The Phantom is carrying around an immersion RC 5.8 transmitter and uses the GoPro as the camera. I was amazed by how small and compact all this equipment was considering the image quality, very impressive.

I also use the upgraded Fat Shark antenna as the stock whip antenna are apparently kinda useless, I never tried them myself though.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:16 PM
Joined Jan 2013
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskim View Post
There is snow on the ground here.

It it advised not get the compass wet?

Or is a little moisture ok?
I've flown in some fog which left a bunch of dew all over the quad, no harm done. The phantom also decided to go for a dive in my pool and there was no problem with the compass after a 30 seconds long submersion.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:32 PM
DJI Phantom pilot
The Netherlands, GE, Culemborg
Joined Jan 2013
242 Posts
Quote:
I thought I'd share a video from one of my first recorded FPV flights with the phantom. I don't have a cable for the hero3 yet so I was using a hero2. I used 960 at 30 fps to both get more vertical resolution and to test a isolating mount at 30 fps. Protunes was on and no post stabilization or filters. I do think that the stock Protunes setting is a bit too contrasty but the point of this was raw video.

https://vimeo.com/58722650
Wow! very nice and pretty smooth too! It seems you killed the jello.
What kind of isolation did you use?
What is your experience using the GoPro for FPV instead of a separate FPV cam?
I want to go that route as well because it will save some weight and because I like the wide angle of the GoPro.
I think the wide angle will help me to avoid branches etc.
DutchVince is offline Find More Posts by DutchVince
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:40 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Joined Jan 2008
2,830 Posts
Quote:
The phantom also decided to go for a dive in my pool and there was no problem with the compass after a 30 seconds long submersion.
LOL. now theres "empirical data" at it best. can't really blame the Phantom, I would have dived in too, that pool looks wonderful.

BTW. one downside to the Hero3 is the power consumption, it seems to eat batteries for breakfast.
This morning I tested 2.7k on the Phantom after about 11 minutes battery got one bar left.
Don't fly with the WiFi on.. it drains the battery. I use the wifi to seup the camera, then turn it off and start recording on the camera.
And the video out feature... seems plugging in the video out cable also drains the battery, AND what happens is that it might turn off the recording, you can see the red record camera go off in the FatShark goggles. Only a new battery managed to keep the record on.

So I have actually been flying FPV with the small FPV cam, and the GoPro recording without video out.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:06 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Joined Jan 2008
2,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
Yes, but neither are using the 2.7k/30p mode. I can get rid of jello from the 1080/60p mode with just a single layer of isolation. That doesn't work for the 2.7k recording mode, which is much more susceptible to jello.
@Gary - after your post - I did pop the camera into 2.7k cine 24fps this morning. as you said, its not perfect, but...
at about 30sec in - I did a up-and-over push deliberately slow, and that is not that terrible unstable. but still suffer from the small roll moves.

DJI Phantom - Hero3 2.7k Cine - xGimbal - raw video to download if you like (1 min 30 sec)

Its not perfect, but I think it is amazing that it even did come out this good, this is on a direct drive gimbal.
OK OK OK. I know, its not perfect by any means, I clearly see jello. but here is the file so anyone can download if so inclined and play with what can be done in post. For the best results, de-fish the image first, then stabilize to avoid the GoPro warping in the center, expect to render to 1080 as you loose some resolution when processing video.

For reference, I totally subscribe to the shoot 2.7k post to 1080 philosophy, and feel that is a very acceptable compromise on a $650 quad video platform.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Bo Lorentzen; Feb 01, 2013 at 02:30 PM.