HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:19 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampdoria View Post
What are the best programs for video stabilization and editing for PC? Any recommendations?
For quick and simple: VideoPad from here

You can buy it quite cheaply after the 15 days free trial, or when you go to uninstall it offers to let you keep a 'cut down' version which 'only' saves .AVI files. Which, as you can use any codec to save them in H.264 format is not actually much of a limitation.

It handles HD well without chugging on even a moderate machine by working with a lower-res cached version of your file for editing. It does Stabilisation using Gunnar Thalin's (VirtualDub) Deshaker plugin from here, although it's a little older and uses v2.4 not the latest v3.0. Still works fine though. You can configure it using all the information on his web page, or let it use the defaults as a 'one button' Stabilise. For a first, free (or cheap) editor, VideoPad's worth cutting your teeth on until you want to spend some real money

But as Bo says, you'd need to use the VirtualDub Barrel Distortion Removal filter before you can deshake it to get good Stabilisation results - or use a camera that is not fisheye'd in the first place.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:20 PM
Joined Jan 2013
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Only the first time you have been on that page per IP Address. If you look and do buy then later decide to buy... go to your neighbors house
Well yes, or use a different IP address
ikbm is offline Find More Posts by ikbm
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:28 PM
Joined Jan 2013
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels_UK View Post
Off topic alert: a firewall can not help you in a DOS attack
ikbm is offline Find More Posts by ikbm
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:47 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
For quick and simple: VideoPad from here

You can buy it quite cheaply after the 15 days free trial, or when you go to uninstall it offers to let you keep a 'cut down' version which 'only' saves .AVI files. Which, as you can use any codec to save them in H.264 format is not actually much of a limitation.
There IS another sometimes effective tool... GOOGLE or rather YouTube.. upload high-rez video, set to private, after upload YouTube will offer to stabilize the video, click yes. check the preview, its pretty cool. when done select YES to keep the result. wait a bit and from the video manager select download, you get a 720p version of the stabilized video, which really is as much as what makes any sense since 1080p stabilized is not 1080 quality any longer.

Cheap, pretty fast and incredible easy to use.
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:11 PM
Joined Dec 2012
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh1012 View Post
Yup ...... The full gory details, have to say its a bit of a minefield & i have a proper PPLH Heli licence (R22) !!!! But for the UK This is our understanding ....I Stress this is UK only for Comercial work !!

Any work being conducted for commercial purposes with any kind of unmanned aerial system is subject to regulations introduced by the CAA that require operators to obtain permission from them. This involves a few different elements in the form of initial application for aerial work, an 'operations manual' and proof of pilot competence the only CAA specific pilot/crew qualification that is currently provided by EuroUSC in the form of the BNUC-S (Basic National UAS Certificate) for small UAS. This not only provides an excellent background knowledge and training, but may well be compulsory for any commercial activities by next year. EuroUSC is also working with agencies throughout Europe to standardise these guidelines.

When your company has a operations licence the you can fly for gain at any site that meets the basic rules of flight ie. owners permission, line of site VFR only not overflying the public and proper solid 3rd party & employee liability insurance .. We carry 8 m public & 10 m employee. The employee liability is a legal requirement as even if its your mate giving you a hand it's still your liability if a drone Screws up and takes his eye out !!!!

Word has it that the CAA Are watching the business develop like a hawk !!! The first time some idiot crashes into a member of the public there will be all hell breaking loose for all of us!!!!
The current cost of getting UAS Cert. legal and insured for commercial work is around 3.5k for ships under 7 Kilos...

The doc you need Atlantic (and as you flew the real deal you will be oh so familiar with these ) is CAA CAP 658 you can download it here:
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/cap658.pdf
Hope this helps

PS even if your just flying for fun in the UK 3rd party insurance (usually available from your local modelling club or the BMFA. British model flyers Association) is a totally good plan!!! Imagine replacing the roof of the greenhouse of the guy who's house is next to your flying field ...Ouch... sorry to sound like my Dad LOL
Thanks Steve that was helpful and depressing
jowek is offline Find More Posts by jowek
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:21 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Spielwarenmesse 2013: Phantom von DJI-Innovations (1 min 24 sec)
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:23 PM
Joined Dec 2012
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub J View Post
I don't have big experience with Naza gimbal control but I'll test this in
next days...

By the way

Gimbal version for DJI Phantom

http://quadframe.com/collections/cm/products/g01k

Jakub
Im glad you are here before February

Yes RTF optimised for Phantom sounds great
and yes CF its worth more expansive price in this case (of Phantom).
IMO
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:27 PM
Joined Dec 2012
176 Posts
Can someone direct me where can I get Graupner E-Prop 8x5 in Europe or anywhere if reasonable P&P? Cant find any shop with CCF and CF in stoke. Thank you
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:40 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
+1. the biggest issue with stabilizers, the fisheye image of the GoPro will cause a warping when stabilizing it, so to get perfect results, first it have to be de-fished to have straight lines along the edge. then you can stabilize with "pretty good" results.

However, defishing+stabilizing is loosing a lot of image quality. nothing beats shooting stable video in the first place in terms of clean detail rich video quality.
I have had good luck with CS6 and the plugins for Mercalli 2.0, for stabilization, and Magic Bullet Looks, for reducing the fisheye lens distortion and for color correction. I agree, though, that you need to pretty much have jello-free video to start with, and this is a real challenge, especially in the 2.7k/30p mode. Getting rid of jello for the 1080/60p mode is fairly straightforward, but is is a real bitch in the 2.7k30p mode, which is a ton more sensitive to vibration induced jello. We have been working on a solution, both for the Phantom, and for the F330, and we are just about there.

The reason for trying so hard to get the 2.7k mode jello-free is because of all the "extra" resolution (2704x1524...) and information in this mode. With this mode you can use Mercalli quite effectively to remove all roll movements, for instance, and smooth out pans, and still have enough resolution left, after zooming to remove the borders created by the stabilization, so that it is still higher than 1920x1080. The net effect is that you don't loose any quality, like you would if you stabilize a "standard" 1080p video.

Now, Mercalli and other stab functions, do quite well for roll and pan movements, but don't do much for the tilt axis. For this reason, a tilt-only gimbal would be a good option, in my opinion, but I don't think you get anything by trying to do a two-axis variant, especially with direct-drive servos, driven by the Naza gimbal outputs. It is really hard to get smooth video with direct-drive servo gimbals. The new direct-drive setups, ala Zenmuse, etc., are completely different animals. Anyway, I'm not going to get into the whys and why nots, as that is beyond the scope of this discussion, but suffice it to say, I have yet to see a quality video from any direct-drive servo-based gimbal.

Anyway, with the H3B, in this 2.7k/30p mode, and with "Protune" turned on and the WB set to "raw", this camera can produce some real broadcast/professional quality video, and has the "room" to allow for lots of post processing to do lens correction, color correction and stabilization. The problem is that the output has to be vibration and jello-free, period. There is not a single post stab function I've tried that can do anything with the sort of jello we see from these platforms. So far, we've tried a number of setups, with multiple layers of isolation, with varying levels of success.With basically two levels, on my F330, having the motors isolated, and using four of the special silicon isolators we use on the larger AG600/700 gimbal setups, I've been able to to pretty much eliminate jello in lower light conditions, like a cloudy day, or near dusk, but not in direct sunlight. The video below illustrates this. You can see the jello is more pronounced in the high contrast, brightly lit parts of the area.

Hero3 Black Isolation Test 03 (3 min 27 sec)

The first attached pics show what this setup looks like. Andrey (Askman...) has been getting similar results with his latest Phantom setup, which simply uses the silicon isolators by themselves, for isolation. The reason this works so well is mainly because he has the four isolators spread out pretty far, basically at the LG attachment points. We know from previous experience that these become a lot more effective, the farther you move them apart. The other contributing factor for why he's been able to get jello-free 2.7k/30p video in lower light conditions is because the Phantom runs on 3s, so the motors/props spin a little slower than they do on my F330 which runs on 4s. The Phantom has a lot less lifting power, but apparently it also has less vibrations.

Finally, also attached is my latest F330 setup, which I will test tomorrow. Andrey made a mini-version of the same sort of LG/IMS setup we use with the F550 and the AG600, which I now have mounted on the F330. With this setup there will now be three distinct layers of isolation, the rubber grommets on the motor mounts, some thick speargun tubing between the F330 lower plate and the LG center section, and four of the silicon isolators between the LG center section and the plate that will hold the H3B's plastic case. These silicon isolators are widely spaced. This all may be overkill, but after all I've been trying, I want to make sure I kill this stuff. Once we do, I will then add the new compact single axis tilt-only gimbal that Andrey is finishing up.

Once we get the final configuration for the Phantom that gets rid of all the "daylight" jello, we'll look at maybe doing the tilt-only gimbal on the Phantom as well. I'm not sure it will be able to handle the weight, though, because even though it will be as small and as light as we can make it, there will still be a full-size MKS servo and a 2:1 belt drive. The F330 will have no problem with this, however.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:06 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Joined Jan 2008
2,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
Once we get the final configuration for the Phantom that gets rid of all the "daylight" jello, we'll look at maybe doing the tilt-only gimbal on the Phantom as well. I'm not sure it will be able to handle the weight, though, because even though it will be as small and as light as we can make it, there will still be a full-size MKS servo and a 2:1 belt drive. The F330 will have no problem with this, however.
Thinking the pitch only gimbal is a good and meaningful direction, also because it seems the NAZA pitch is cleaner than the roll. :-)

Love the belt drive, it get the linear translation instead of changing scale on pushrods.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:53 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Joined Jan 2008
2,329 Posts
Did a little experiment - reconfigured the attachment of the camera a little.
Not perfect by any means. but pretty clean really. the raw 1080-60fps can be downloaded from Vimeo
DJI Phantom quad with xGimbal 1080-60fps pretty clean - raw video (2 min 42 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:02 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,727 Posts
Quick question:

Is it correct that anything I set in the Assistant is automatically written to the Naza controller?

In the non Phantom Assistant there is a write button that must be click to write the parameters to the Naza.

But I don't see anything comparable in the Phantom assistant.

Thanks
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:17 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Joined Jan 2008
2,329 Posts
@daskim - I find that when I press enter the new values turn black and seems to be saved. would be nice if the WKM had the same interface.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:00 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,727 Posts
Thanks Bo.

I just received my Phantom and was enabling the IOC function for testing.

That's a radio button, so I assume enabling by checking it is similar to hitting enter per your suggestion.

Wish there was a confirmation "write" button though

Thanks

david
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:14 PM
Joined Dec 2002
663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowek View Post
Can someone direct me where can I get Graupner E-Prop 8x5 in Europe or anywhere if reasonable P&P? Cant find any shop with CCF and CF in stoke. Thank you
Try here: http://helidirect.com/faq.php
They ship oversea.

Props: http://helidirect.com/advanced_searc...+8x5&x=17&y=17
tanasit is offline Find More Posts by tanasit