HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:07 PM
Joined Dec 2012
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh1012 View Post
Just fitted the Quadframe.com Go Pro Gimbal V2 to the Phantom, http://quadframe.com/collections/cm/products/g01k
available EU and US & works great.

Totally non destructive fit, we like to keep our Phantoms totally stock. No holes drilled (servo cables run up the front leg) and the gimbal is mounted using the rearmost screw hole and some Velcro. The Gimbal itself only requires a single hole drilled for fitting.

The Kit is a bit of a mare as it arrives in a bag as a set of laser cut fiberglass boards and LOTS of very small nuts n bolts... took me about an hour to assemble. The whole setup with a pair of Emax Metal gear micro servos cost £60 uk pounds Guess thats about $95.

We did a balance and found that the CG was pushed forward by 1 cm on the Z axis (and set the offset in the Naza assist) All up takeoff weight with camera, gimbal and battery is 995 gm, that only about 85gm more than the rig with the stock mount and Gopro2.

Let me know if you want any further info I'll try and help, Howling a gale here so flight video tomorrow. but initial indoor flight test looks great....
Attachment 5491466

Attachment 5491467

Attachment 5491468

http://youtu.be/7SHhkuXM32E
Nice. Im glad you got it, wish you lack with settings. Im too busy now to play with my phantom but gimbal is first thing...soon.
"We did a balance and found that the CG was pushed forward by 1 cm on the Z axis (and set the offset in the Naza assist) " - can you direct me where can I learn how to fing CG.

Bo - how much will be gimbal with delivery to Europe?

Im waiting for 1.5mm CF, Im going to try make shoes-thing no 2 is 1.5mm not too thin for this?
jowek is offline Find More Posts by jowek
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:15 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
John, going good, gimbal is ready, and I finally figured out the little vibration. (hitting head on brick wall)

Here is a PIP of it flying - I wanted a prettier PIP but you get the idea
https://vimeo.com/57817130
That video has me sold ! The gimble was really working to keep the camera steady.
PM me when you have some ready.... Rich
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:16 PM
Joined Sep 2011
696 Posts
Bo, would it be possible to make an insert for a Sony RX100? Would it handle all that weight? I don't have that camera, but that would be pretty insane if that was possible.

The Phantom has already carried a Sony RX100, but not with the additional weight of the gimbal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
That video has me sold ! The gimble was really working to keep the camera steady.
PM me when you have some ready.... Rich
X2. I already PMed him. This is a MUST have for the Phantom! I can't wait!
beamen is offline Find More Posts by beamen
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:23 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,806 Posts
Quick Question.

Is the Phantom DJI USB Driver identical to the normal Naza M USB driver?

In other words, if you have the Naza M USB driver installed, is there is need to download and install the Phantom Assistant USB driver as well?

thanks
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:41 PM
Joined Jan 2013
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskim View Post
Quick Question.

In other words, if you have the Naza M USB driver installed, is there is need to download and install the Phantom Assistant USB driver as well?

thanks
No, no need drivers are the same just assistant thats different, I have both assistants and both work off same driver.
rudeboy78 is offline Find More Posts by rudeboy78
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:43 PM
Joined Oct 2012
1,806 Posts
Thank you.

Another question.

There's snow up here.

Are people using sugru to cover up the antenna down at the bottom of one of the landing gears, or are they using something else?

Something that can be easily removed but water/snow proof?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:45 PM
Head of Production, UK. TV co
United Kingdom, Tutbury
Joined Jan 2013
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskim View Post
Quick Question.

thanks
There isnot a phantom Driver as far as i Know. The Phantom has a Totally Stock Naza M box O tricks... Just use the latest version of the software and driver.....
PS. we are all Mac here and it runs just fine under VM Fusion
steveh1012 is offline Find More Posts by steveh1012
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:49 PM
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Oct 2010
963 Posts
heres a question for you all the naza has a saftey 45 degree cut out on the motors I would love to know how to get rid of this because im sick of the 45 degree limit can any one tell me how to fly it with out the 45 degree cut out
rabone is offline Find More Posts by rabone
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:51 PM
Joined Oct 2012
1,806 Posts
Quote:
There isnot a phantom Driver as far as i Know.

PS. we are all Mac here and it runs just fine under VM Fusion
That's what I'm running it under.

I tried using bootcamp on my MBP retina, but the DJI assistant screen wouldn't show all the options.

Then tried VMWare, and it worked perfectly out of the box.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:01 PM
Head of Production, UK. TV co
United Kingdom, Tutbury
Joined Jan 2013
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowek View Post
Nice. " - can you direct me where can I learn how to fing CG.
The best way to get a CG with a phantom is a 3D scale we happen to have one for balancing robotic cameras and Crane rigs..... However for a Quad balance just do a check by balancing the ship from motor tip to motor tip. The other way to do it is to hang it upside down on a loop of string from both skids if its fore or aft heavy (the usual suspect with a quad +camera) you will get a level balance by sliding the string loops up or down the skids. DJI have a mark in the skids at the center point just measure the fore/aft difference and you can adjust it in the software... Job done...
I 'm sure the purists will kick my ass for this but it makes only a small difference to the flight profile but every little helps , especially if your as rubbish as me piloting :-)
steveh1012 is offline Find More Posts by steveh1012
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:06 PM
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
2,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabone View Post
heres a question for you all the naza has a saftey 45 degree cut out on the motors I would love to know how to get rid of this because im sick of the 45 degree limit can any one tell me how to fly it with out the 45 degree cut out
You will have to fly in manual mode. Atti and GPS mode will have the 45 degree limit. I fly pretty aggressive and the 45 degree limit doesn't bother me Only if you want to do flips than switch to manual mode. I find no need to fly in manual mode.

Since manual mode is not enabled you will have to hook the Phantom up to Naza Assistance and turn it on.
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:28 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Yeah, what Tony said but I'll bet you go back to ATTI after you fill your shorts the first time. Manual mode is fun for a rocket like lift off as long as your running bare without a camera or it likes to go sideways a bit. I guess you could always set the ATTI gains down to 50 or so if you want to fly manually but what's the fun in that.

Without the camera I can manually shoot mine as high as I want and it stays straight.
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:12 PM
Joined Dec 2012
176 Posts
Quote:
The best way to get a CG with a phantom is a 3D scale we happen to have one for balancing robotic cameras and Crane rigs..... However for a Quad balance just do a check by balancing the ship from motor tip to motor tip. The other way to do it is to hang it upside down on a loop of string from both skids if its fore or aft heavy (the usual suspect with a quad +camera) you will get a level balance by sliding the string loops up or down the skids. DJI have a mark in the skids at the center point just measure the fore/aft difference and you can adjust it in the software... Job done...
I 'm sure the purists will kick my ass for this but it makes only a small difference to the flight profile but every little helps , especially if your as rubbish as me piloting :-)
Steveh thanks for make my question visible and detail answer. Ill need to dig more
jowek is offline Find More Posts by jowek
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:20 PM
Joined Jan 2013
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
John, going good, gimbal is ready, and I finally figured out the little vibration. (hitting head on brick wall)

I have not really been posting much about it to avoid hogging the thread.
The gimbal is ready, Robert is ordering up servos, the gimbal will ship assembled with setup values for the NAZA.
Gimbal with mini servos installed weigh about 60grams. ready to play - add Hero3 at 75grams for a total payload of 135grams, well inside the Phantom's comfort zone.

This is how it looks and is installed
https://vimeo.com/57889584

Here is a PIP of it flying - I wanted a prettier PIP but you get the idea
https://vimeo.com/57817130

Had fun with it sunday - I probably should not show this video when talking about the gimbal, but in the last half of the video Im flying the Phantom pretty hard, the gimbal is keeping up even thought the phantom is 45deg in the air.
NOTE - jello in this video caused me to find where it camer from :-)
https://vimeo.com/58328480

This gimbal looks fantastic.

This is a complete noob question, but I'm wondering how exactly to connect this to the naza. I see how you ran the connectors to the outside of the phantom, but I am hoping you can go into a little more detail for some of us who have never cracked open the phantom and may be scared to death to do so
Kcraig99 is offline Find More Posts by Kcraig99
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:40 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcraig99 View Post
This gimbal looks fantastic.

This is a complete noob question, but I'm wondering how exactly to connect this to the naza. I see how you ran the connectors to the outside of the phantom, but I am hoping you can go into a little more detail for some of us who have never cracked open the phantom and may be scared to death to do so
Craig, Im thinking I need to make another video on exactly that.. just don't know if you guys can put up with watching me remove 16 screws from the hull. might get thumbs down votes before I even get the thing cracked open.
I will bring a notebook and also setup the servo settings so its all covered.

But really it is stupid easy once you take a deep breath. pop the screws, the NAZA is under the hood, put two extension servo cables and pull them out the front gate or as some have made a hole in the side, Im not big on holes personally but sometimes they look cool. The big thing is that once you have the two axis cables installed, you are good to go. any type of servo can be hooked to the cables and you can have a lot of fun with servos balanced by the NAZA.

Yes yes yes.. step by step video.. I heard you. it will be good, and it will be useful regardless what gimbal you use, because its the same basic setup for the tony gimbal, the LL gimbal and mine.. and really any gimbal.
*** the big catch, that nobody is talking about is.. NAZA REALLY is not good at stabilizing gimbals, which is causing the rocking and slight pitching, naza is simply always a little behind.. but it is as good as its going to get with a NAZA driven system.
Bo Lorentzen is online now Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member