SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:48 AM
Joined Jan 2013
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
@RudeBoy - awesome good looking Phantom. one suggestion, put all the red stickers either on front or rear arms, so that you easily can see where the phantom is facing when you one day have to rip off the goggles and fly line-of-sight.

@wheels - nicely done, that will do a great job at stabilizing the video.

I hear ye dude but the LED's and gopro as well as other things mean I have no probs knowing orientation when flying LOS, the LED's are far easier to spot than a few bits of red tape, also not new to the hobby, new to quads yes but been doing heli's for years so pretty good at knowing my orientation with just a few gentle movements on the sticks but appreciate your concern
rudeboy78 is offline Find More Posts by rudeboy78
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:14 PM
SvP
Sweden, Stockholm County
Joined May 2011
184 Posts
Change to Spectrum DX8

Any one at this fabolus forum use Spectrum DX 8 to fly and manage the DJI Phantom ?
If so i really would like to know how you did and use as RX and the set up in TX, think i´m already got to old for all programing hehe.
Are planing to go FPV and 2 axis GoPro and FatShark Doninator.

Best regards
from Soren in a very cold SWEDEN
minus 15 degrees celcius !
SvP is offline Find More Posts by SvP
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:19 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
5,030 Posts
Logic?

I'm having a little trouble comprehending what you Phantom modifiers are doing.
Phantom = $679
F450 ARF kit = $190
Naza + GPS = $399
Total = $589
Now you're going to remove the Phantom receiver and get another transmitter.
That makes the two airframes equal as they both will require a rec/trans.
Let's say the $90 price difference covers the lipo and charger that came with Phantom.
The F450 is more versatile, larger, and can run 4S batteries (more lifting capacity).

Could you explain?
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Merry Christmas 2014!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:21 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,808 Posts
The Phantom is cool.

daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:42 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
DJI has expanded the communication data available through the LED. So much date, and so much new that it will take a cheat sheet until I get used to it.
That's my point not to mention how fast they flash the LED and how people are interpreting the flashes.
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:43 PM
Forensic Animation/Video/Photo
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Nov 2011
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
Phantom = $679
F450 ARF kit = $190
Naza + GPS = $399
Total = $589
Let's say the $90 price difference covers the lipo and charger that came with Phantom.
The F450 is more versatile, larger, and can run 4S batteries (more lifting capacity).

Could you explain?
There are a number of factors that are making these Phantom mods so popular. My take is that a lot of this is for the pure fun of seeing what you can do. The Phantom is a plain vanilla base that makes a pure level playing field. Back when I was a cub scout we had what was called the "pinewood derby" and every kid got a basic block of wood and wheels. What you did with it and how you painted it was what gave you bragging rights and the joy of making something cool from the basic kit. Doing mods is one of the real joys of this hobby. Its more about the process than the price or performance.
vislaw is offline Find More Posts by vislaw
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:51 PM
SvP
Sweden, Stockholm County
Joined May 2011
184 Posts
For me it´s RTF and just change reciver and make some setup in DX8 would be ok.
I use my DX 8 to my Trex 600 Efl, MCPX, Nano, P-51´s, Cessna and it would be nice to use the DX8 to all aircraft´s.

SvP is offline Find More Posts by SvP
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:01 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
5,030 Posts
@vislaw

I like your logic.
Come on, some of the rest of you, what's your take?

FWIW, the Phantom is the only multirotor I've chosen not to modify. So, I understand vislaw.
My F450 and F550 are blinged up nicely.
I admit that the F450 and F550 are not a pretty as the Phantom.
But, once you've slung a bigger battery, installed FPV equipment, etc., the Phantom gets to be about as ugly as the F450 and F550.

F450 = Bell 47
Phantom = Bell 230

Another note: I believe one of the DJI team cautioned about bringing a battery near the compass.
That's why the compass was removed from the case.
If your battery starts causing drift and TBE (Toilet Bowl Effect) I'm not sure if you'll be able to make corrections like rotating your GPS module...
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Jan 23, 2013 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Battery near Compass comment
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:07 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Phantom = $679
F450 ARF kit = $190
Naza + GPS = $399
Total = $589

Could you explain?
Out of the box, 100% RTF with TX for beginners getting into quads or maybe their first RC device.

Now that they see how easy it is to operate they want to expand with what they have already. I don't see many up for sale.

Some are not turned on with the open frame designs.
Some don't want to assemble anything.
Some don't want to setup anything.

There will always be modifiers... it's what makes it unique to them. I never comment on mods as we each have our own opinion what looks good.

I do see your point a bit when boxes costing half the purchase price of the quad are being used but that's just me... i'm a bit frugal. Not that I don't think some look awesome.
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:08 PM
Forensic Animation/Video/Photo
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Nov 2011
583 Posts
Quote:
F450 = Bell 47
Phantom = Bell 230
Ha ha .... love it.

I also think there's an element of "you know, this thing isn't intended for this" ... so there is a bit of a challenge. I mean, the notion of a 2-axis gimbal for the Phantom seems ridiculous on the surface, but the nerd in me says "oh yeah!!!!"
vislaw is offline Find More Posts by vislaw
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:12 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
F450 = Bell 47
Phantom = Bell 230
F550 = Sikorsky S-64
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:16 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
5,030 Posts
Yeah, Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
F550 = Sikorsky S-64
Completely agree!
And I know that you Phantom fans won't understand....
The S-64 is one sexy bird!
Form follows function...
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:25 PM
Joined Jan 2013
68 Posts
for me with the phantom I already had all the stuff here for modding it only extra I have bought is the rx which was only £40, oh and a tin of paint and props.. lol although would have bought the props regardless of doing anything else, everything else, FPV gear etc is stuff or spares I already have for my TBS discovery, originally bought it as a bit of fun but as with others the modder in me took over once it arrived to so it now sits as is, not planning on anything else for mine as I'm happy with it the way it is now, no plans for gimble or that,
I now just intend to fly it and have fun, I think if I'd wanted to buy another dedicated FPV'er then yes I probably would have went with the F450 or similar, but as a basic FPV flyer the phantom's not bad!!
rudeboy78 is offline Find More Posts by rudeboy78
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:34 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
5,030 Posts
Keep Those Answers Coming

Believe it or not, your replies will help us experienced fliers assist you better.
I'm enjoying this and learning myself, so don't stop...
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:50 PM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,652 Posts
I'll echo what was already said.

For me the Phantom will be my trainer. I also have a sim that I'm using but I wanted something was vanilla, that was the same for all of us, so that I could be fairly sure that if I had a problem that there would be 100 others that have the exact same pieces of equipment. I wanted something that had known flight characteristics and known issues.

My main multi will be a Hex from DIYDrones that I'm in the process of putting together right now. It's a kit so there are lots of us that start in the same place with the assembly but within their FC there are tons of different tweaks that can be made than can affect flight.

My Hex is nearly completed, just wiring up the LEDs now and my Phantom was ordered on Monday so it should be here soon. In the meantime I'll be flying my sim.

-Mike
Stone1295 is offline Find More Posts by Stone1295