HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:04 PM
Joined Jan 2013
413 Posts
These things ARE tough

I have to say that this little things are much tougher then I had expected.

I've had two major mishaps already.

The first was a unexpected dive into my saltwater pool. Not sure what happened, I have never had a issue with the controls going haywire, but this time it decided to go for a swim.

I was horrified. My Hero2 was attached and I had the Phantom for 3 days and now it was 8 feet under...

I took everything apart, dried it, waited a day and all that had happened is that I fried a ESC, which the wonderful people at DSLRpros promptly replaced for FREE! BOOM! I can only assume that I'm one of the first people in the US that needed a replacement ESC and I'm happy to record that I had a great customer service experience with both DJI and the retailer. The GoPro even came back to life! All in all it cost me $20 in shipping.

Incident #2 was simply me being very stupid. My mother has a big tree in her front yard, 70 feet or so with the first 30 being only trunk. I took off underneath the tree, flew around for a bit in the open lawn next to it, and decided to test the auto-return to home feature that kicks in when the transmitter is turned out.

All was going well until I realized what was about to happen, I frantically tried to reconnect the controlled for the 15-20 seconds it took to fly over the tree..... and then come straight down. It hit the top branches and then fell a good 50 feet straight on to pavement!

I broke two APC propellors I was using and the battery was banged up enough that I won't use it again, other then that I switch out the props and it was back up and running in 10 minutes!

So far its incredible resilient in my opinion. It also very very easy to fly (as long as I'm not being stupid). My main complaints are that this is my first quad and its a little disappointing to find out the DJI has proprietary ESCs, Motors, and Props...
FITandFUEL is offline Find More Posts by FITandFUEL
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:31 PM
Forensic Animation/Video/Photo
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Nov 2011
580 Posts
BigSur (2 min 53 sec)

Sorry about the jello. Hero3 Black on the rubber Zenmuse dampers shown in my previous post. Haven't done any tuning or prop balancing and was flying in GPS. I'm confident we can get a lot of the wobble eliminated this week.
vislaw is offline Find More Posts by vislaw
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:31 PM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,385 Posts
I finally got the opportunity to maiden the Phantom. The weather was perfect and she flew like a dream! I can already see my wallet shrinking as I drool over FPV equipment. This one's a keeper for sure. Next up, throwing the GoPro on it and fiddling with getting jello-free video. Then on to FPV. Thanks DJI!
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:42 PM
Joined Sep 2012
39 Posts
We got a Phantom last week, and very impressed so far. The RTH is a little unnerving to test but worked perfectly.

With all the snow over the last few days we've been out filming with it using the Go Pro Hero 3 black edition. Here's one we made earlier

VW Golf R23 Snow Fun from above - Go pro Hero 3 Black Edition & DJI Phantom Quadcopter (3 min 53 sec)
overandabove is offline Find More Posts by overandabove
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:46 PM
United States, MO, St. Louis
Joined Jan 2013
42 Posts
Does the Phantom's internal Receiver use a standard S buss type connection to the DJI Naza?

I couldn't quit tell from looking at some of the picture that I have seen?
Tuffenuff is offline Find More Posts by Tuffenuff
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:18 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,994 Posts
Rth

If you must, test it.
But don't press your luck.
Turning off an RC transmitter is not wise.
You are relinquishing control of something that you have complete control of (theoretically) for no good reason but to try an emergency feature.
And there's no emergency.

Has anyone attempted to switch off Failsafe by turning the transmitter back on and switching from Atti to GPS/Atti (or vice-versa) like on a regular Naza?
I, personally, am not volunteering my Phantom as a test, but it would be good information for the RTH demonstrators to know.
If you can't switch off Failsafe, remember that when you turn off your transmitter, there's no turning back...
T J Gilbert is online now Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Jan 21, 2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:39 PM
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Karup
Joined Aug 2012
254 Posts
i tried turning off the tranmitter - and it did as it should . gained alttitude and flew back, hovered for 20sec and landed safely (5m off starting point but OK), so it works fine, on mine that is. wouldent reccomend others to do it as it could fail if not locked on sattelites. But on mine it works fine.
vartaz is offline Find More Posts by vartaz
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:40 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
If you must, test it.
But don't press your luck.
Turning off an RC transmitter is not wise.
You are relinquishing control of something that you have complete control of (theoretically) for no good reason but to try an emergency feature.
And there's no emergency.

Has anyone attempted to switch off Failsafe by turning the transmitter back on and switching from Atti to GPS/Atti (or vice-versa) like on a regular Naza?
I, personally, am not volunteering my Phantom as a test, but it would be good information for the RTH demonstrators to know.
If you can't switch off Failsafe, remember that when you turn off your transmitter, there's no turning back...
Try it, I will back you up.
I don't encourage on every flight .... test it a couple of times at a safe environment.
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:43 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffenuff View Post
Does the Phantom's internal Receiver use a standard S buss type connection to the DJI Naza?

I couldn't quit tell from looking at some of the picture that I have seen?
Why do you ask?
Phantom uses DJI receiver and transmitter. Keep that in mind. If you want to use other receiver or S-bus Futaba receiver, you have to use Futaba radio.
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:19 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2004
3,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vislaw View Post
Oooh, that's nice.
kallend is offline Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:20 PM
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
Better than I expected

Had my Phantom for three days now. About six flights. DJI videos on Youtube were real helpful. I have a Mac and was able to use the DJI NAZA-M Assistant Software v2.00 in Parallels to access onboard controller and turn on IOC feature. I really like the IOC when the bird gets a few hundred feet away and I have trouble seeing which way it's facing.

The Phantom is living up to what I hoped for. Off the ground in about one hour after getting it. GoPro Hero3 video is cool. A little jello, but plenty good for casual fun. There's a lot of smarts in this little thing.

I changed the battery connector to EC3 connectors because my local hobby shop had several batteries with EC3 and none with XT60. About 6-7 minutes flight time with GoPro attached. Maybe 10 minutes flight time without the camera.

A couple minor low altitude mishaps, but no damage.

I'm new to quads and was wandering if this was going to be a good investment of my fun money. I'm very pleased.
alannet is offline Find More Posts by alannet
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:42 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,811 Posts
@vislaw NICE views up there.
Bo Lorentzen is online now Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:51 PM
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Jul 2012
467 Posts
how good is the phantom in the wind?
ahtiram is online now Find More Posts by ahtiram
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:59 PM
Quad Pilot
Joined Jan 2013
1,051 Posts
Edited, look ahead post. Thanks
Jumanoc is offline Find More Posts by Jumanoc
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jumanoc; Jan 21, 2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:01 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumanoc View Post
Hello,
When I bought Phantom, dealer recommend me this additional batteries. I see it has 2s connector (stock has 3s), and this is 2100 mAh (stock is 2200 mAh).

Questions: 1) Is this battery adequated for Phantom? 2) Can I use stock charger with it?
Thanks ahead.
Link so I can see a better picture? Balance lead appears to be 3S to me (I can kinda see 3S written on the label too) but i'd like a better picture.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites