HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:36 AM
Joined Mar 2012
51 Posts
On another subject completely, how long, on average do people find their Phantoms take to complete start up initialisation (fast yellow flashing)?

Mine takes just over 2 mins, sometimes 3 mins.

I assume the IMU takes it's time to reach a stable operating temp.
richardtheboffin is offline Find More Posts by richardtheboffin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:45 AM
Joined Feb 2008
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardtheboffin View Post
On another subject completely, how long, on average do people find their Phantoms take to complete start up initialisation (fast yellow flashing)?

I've found it to take at least 2 minutes, usually longer. Is the warm-up time dependent on ambient temperature?
xpower180 is offline Find More Posts by xpower180
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:49 AM
Joined Dec 2012
139 Posts
First Vids

One of my first vids with the new Gopro....pretty boring stuff, actually, but I gotta say, this platform I surprisingly steady.

My Edited Video (9 min 47 sec)
30sbound is offline Find More Posts by 30sbound
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:50 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,348 Posts
Quote:

It does seem to take a few minutes sometimes, other times it is fairly quick.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:58 AM
United Kingdom, England, Hampshire
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
Hello all....

1st post (and not a particularly exciting one!)

First off I want to say what a brilliant thread this is.... managed to make it through the first 100 pages - and struggling to keep up! Loads of great information being shared.

I will be ordering a Phantom in the next few days. I also know I am going to want a few extra batteries for it. Looking through the thread, the only info I could glean on the internal battery bay was the following from page 13 of this thread.

"A typical 3S 2200mAH battery with XT60 connector is what we fit into our Phantom.

Battery compartment size is roughly L: 108mm x W: 36.5mm x H: 28mm"

am noting the word "roughly"... has anyone got any more precise figures for that?

Im wondering for example if this slightly higher capacity 2500mAH one would fit...
Dimensions: 113 x 35 x 33mm
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...y_Battery.html

if the above battery bay dimensions are accurate then the answer is "no"

my next choice would be either of the following 2.... I will probably plump for the Zippy brand, as I have read elsewhere that it might be marginally superior to Turnigy. Although I wouldnt be surprised if one is a rebadged version of the other!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._3S1P_25C.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

Anyway, as a newbie to all this I just wanted to check that either of these will be compatible in terms of connectors etc. Am pretty sure they are but wanted some 3rd party insight before I order!

actually if someone could give accurate dimensions of the stock Phantom battery that would be really useful. thanks.
CuriousOwl is offline Find More Posts by CuriousOwl
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:35 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2013
495 Posts
Quote:
how long, on average do people find their Phantoms take to complete start up initialisation (fast yellow flashing)?
At a cold -10°C, mine took a full six minutes to warm up.
See: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1774
Zbip57 is offline Find More Posts by Zbip57
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:59 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
5,030 Posts
@CuriousOwl

I'm at work, and Phantom is at home.
If you don't get answers concerning DJI lipo size and precise battery bay size before tonight, I'll post it when I get home...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Merry Christmas 2014!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:04 AM
Flying R/C since 1964
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2004
3,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeboy78 View Post
i think its in the tools section, you can export your settings and save them on file so should you change them and forget the originals you can simply import the file back into Naza and it puts all settings back to stock set up!!

On the "regular" naza the import/export buttons are on the toolbar at the top of the screen.
kallend is offline Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:25 AM
Joined Jan 2013
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousOwl View Post
1st post (and not a particularly exciting one!)

First off I want to say what a brilliant thread this is.... managed to make it through the first 100 pages - and struggling to keep up! Loads of great information being shared.

I will be ordering a Phantom in the next few days. I also know I am going to want a few extra batteries for it. Looking through the thread, the only info I could glean on the internal battery bay was the following from page 13 of this thread.

"A typical 3S 2200mAH battery with XT60 connector is what we fit into our Phantom.

Battery compartment size is roughly L: 108mm x W: 36.5mm x H: 28mm"

am noting the word "roughly"... has anyone got any more precise figures for that?

Im wondering for example if this slightly higher capacity 2500mAH one would fit...
Dimensions: 113 x 35 x 33mm
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...y_Battery.html

if the above battery bay dimensions are accurate then the answer is "no"

my next choice would be either of the following 2.... I will probably plump for the Zippy brand, as I have read elsewhere that it might be marginally superior to Turnigy. Although I wouldnt be surprised if one is a rebadged version of the other!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._3S1P_25C.html

Anyway, as a newbie to all this I just wanted to check that either of these will be compatible in terms of connectors etc. Am pretty sure they are but wanted some 3rd party insight before I order!

actually if someone could give accurate dimensions of the stock Phantom battery that would be really useful. thanks.
Battery slot is 105x35x35. I wouldn't go any larger as you will have a hard time getting the cables shoved back in to close the battery door. I bought 3 of the Turnigy 3S 2200 mah 25-35c from Hobbyking. With the Go Pro 2 attached, I get just shy of 11 minutes of flight time with them, so I am happy with that. Hope this helps.
cargasm is offline Find More Posts by cargasm
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:02 AM
Joined Jan 2013
31 Posts
Durability Test

I had a nasty little encounter with a tree over the weekend. My conclusion...these things are TOUGH! After getting tangled in a tree, falling 30ft, and being buried in the snow for 20 minutes, it started right up and flew like nothing ever happened. Still, I wouldn't suggest trying for yourself haha.

DJI Phantom - Tree Crash - DJIguy (0 min 41 sec)
DJIguy is offline Find More Posts by DJIguy
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:10 AM
United Kingdom, England, Hampshire
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargasm View Post
Battery slot is 105x35x35. I wouldn't go any larger as you will have a hard time getting the cables shoved back in to close the battery door. I bought 3 of the Turnigy 3S 2200 mah 25-35c from Hobbyking. With the Go Pro 2 attached, I get just shy of 11 minutes of flight time with them, so I am happy with that. Hope this helps.
thanks thats a great help. I thought Id seen a 25C-35C turnigy battery for about the same money but couldnt initially find it on the site.

I take it this is the one you mean?

2 further questions.

How important is the constant/peak discharge figure. I read on a LiPo FAQ that the C rating determines the theoretical time taken to discharge the battery. ie. a battery with a 20C constant discharge rating, will take 1 hour/20 = 3 mins to discharge at that rate. Given that the flight time for a Phantom is around 10 mins or so, does this mean its a waste of money looking at batteries with higher C ratings, which in theory can discharge their power more quickly? I appreciate that the higher C ratings will probably be of more use if a phantom is flown in the crazy manner I saw in an earlier video :-)

the 2nd question
How long does it take to charge a battery? Again according to the FAQ I read - which I think was written some years ago - it stated that all LiPos take 1.5 hours to charge at 1A. I believe the phantom charger has a 3A charge setting... does this mean it charges in a 3rd of the time? 30 mins? the official DJI video where it shows Colin assembling the phantom seems to imply the battery is charged in 5.5 mins... which would be most impressive. But Im willing to accept this is the "magic of TV" and its not quite that quick! :-)
CuriousOwl is offline Find More Posts by CuriousOwl
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:16 AM
Pagosa Springs, CO
Joined Jul 2007
240 Posts
Quote:

Sitting on a frozen lake, ambient temperature around 20f, at 7500 feet, mine took 3 minutes.
Teezer is offline Find More Posts by Teezer
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:28 AM
United States, MA, Hadley
Joined Oct 2006
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJIguy View Post
I had a nasty little encounter with a tree over the weekend. My conclusion...these things are TOUGH! After getting tangled in a tree, falling 30ft, and being buried in the snow for 20 minutes, it started right up and flew like nothing ever happened. Still, I wouldn't suggest trying for yourself haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X72LqV3_BQY
Are you doing all of this on purpose? Your videos seem to show that you don't have the ability to fly well at all, near misses, tree crashes ??
nighthawk117 is online now Find More Posts by nighthawk117
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:50 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
5,030 Posts
@CuriousOwl

Check your PMs.
I'll give you a quick battery tutorial...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Merry Christmas 2014!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:01 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend View Post
On the "regular" naza the import/export buttons are on the toolbar at the top of the screen.
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member