Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:00 PM
Joined Jan 2013
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
Why wouldn't it... Mini USB type b has a industry standard pin-out. It is using just 3 of the 5 pins. Ground, 5v and video out. Audio left and right isn't used.

With that said, it is coming from Hong Kong which is why I only ordered one.
I am not shure this might not work, because the GoPro 3 hast not the standard 5Pin USB port, it has a 10Pin USB port!
Here you can find a solution and the pin structure:
http://flitetest.com/articles/GoPro3...ideo_Cable_DIY

Good Luck
Arthur
ArtSteinhauser is offline Find More Posts by ArtSteinhauser
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:02 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,984 Posts
Believe the GoPro cable also has a resistor across certain pins to trigger the video out. Not any cable will work.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:27 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2013
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
One of the things that I don't like with the Phantom is how and wear they had to relocate the compass. I know it was done to resolve interference but it is rather exposed and open to the elements especially since it is so low on the landing gear. If you are flying in snow or wet areas its bound to get water into the connector.

To help protect and seal mine I used the following silicone tape wrap. Protects it and not overly noticeable since it is white.

The landing gear is an open gutter shape. If you just wrapped silicone tape around it and the compass, how did you seal the open upper and lower ends?
Zbip57 is offline Find More Posts by Zbip57
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:45 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2013
415 Posts
First flight!

I finally managed to get my first flight completed successfully.

This was shot at our Motorsport Club of Ottawa winter driving training track. (N45.24043 W75.98877)

It was cold, -10°C, which is just within the -10°C ~ 50°C acceptable temperature range listed in the Phantom spec sheet. Still it took a whole six minutes before the LED stopped flashing yellow to indicate the ESCs had warmed up enough for takeoff.

I'm using a Hero2 in its waterproof GoPro case, 1080 - 30fps, no stabilization, GPS mode throughout.

I'm still learning how to fly the thing, so smoothness is not yet my forte. It'll come eventually.

First flight with DJI Phantom. (4 min 27 sec)
Zbip57 is offline Find More Posts by Zbip57
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:50 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtSteinhauser View Post
I am not shure this might not work, because the GoPro 3 hast not the standard 5Pin USB port, it has a 10Pin USB port!
Here you can find a solution and the pin structure:
http://flitetest.com/articles/GoPro3...ideo_Cable_DIY

Good Luck
Arthur
Thanks for the link. I needed some camera lenses from that supplier so that isn't a big loss if it doesn't work. Have these coming just in case.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-Mini-USB...item3cadcd1f9f
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:41 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbip57 View Post
The landing gear is an open gutter shape. If you just wrapped silicone tape around it and the compass, how did you seal the open upper and lower ends?
I didn't for now, this was just to protect it somewhat, however any moisture should be kept out of the connector like this at least. Ill redo with sugru when it arrives to totally seal it. Or coils just seal the ends with a dab of hot glue or silicone caulking, etc.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:46 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,628 Posts
The National Airspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardtheboffin View Post
Hi All,

Today I maxed out the range on my Phantom in altitude. I am assuming this as it went into 'go home' mode and landed itself.

I read that the maximum range is 300M, which is pretty high.

I could still see the aircraft so I don't believe it was that high.

Is 300M regarded as the maximum safe range for an RC aircraft?

Do FPV flyers use increased range tx and rx units?
This thread will get very long quickly if RC altitude and distance become topics.
They are thoroughly covered in other RCG threads.
For USA newcomers, the privilege to fly RC craft in the National Airspace is under scrutiny by the FAA.
There are federal guidelines in effect that limit RC altitudes near airports or air traffic lanes.
I don't think DJI ever intended the Phantom to be an FPV or high altitude AV/AP aircraft.
That is probably why the trans/rec range is limited.
Do some research and be aware of your responsibility flying past LOS.
Also think about your responsibility flying over people and property.
Please be careful.
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: BMPCC/Z15 Transport
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:19 PM
Quad Pilot
Joined Jan 2013
1,021 Posts
Thanks for your replies. All working !. Just turned on, lights remains 1 green, 3 red, 4 green. No documentation about that sequence, but I did CSC, then start motors and lights changed OK. Ready to fly. I calibrate compass in open field (horizontal 360 an vertical 360 turns). all is ok.
Also I installed Diagnostic Software. I think it is agood idea (I did it), to save (export) original settings configured at DJI, for future restore in error issues.
Jumanoc is online now Find More Posts by Jumanoc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:28 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumanoc View Post
Thanks for your replies. All working !. Just turned on, lights remains 1 green, 3 red, 4 green. No documentation about that sequence, but I did CSC, then start motors and lights changed OK. Ready to fly. I calibrate compass in open field (horizontal 360 an vertical 360 turns). all is ok.
Also I installed Diagnostic Software. I think it is agood idea (I did it), to save (export) original settings configured at DJI, for future restore in error issues.
The single green means you are in GPS mode, the three reds mean that you do not have GPS lock, the 4 greens means you moved the craft on start up and is requesting that you do an Advanced IMU calibration. You can fly but it will not be ideal. Check page 11 and 15 of the manual.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:25 AM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,578 Posts
@Ed - revisit that for a moment -

>>4 greens means you moved the craft on start up
>>and is requesting that you do an Advanced IMU calibration

Normally when I see 4 green, repowering do the trick, but are you saying once its been moved on start up, the thing is all fouled up and I should redo the advanced IMU calibration.?
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:39 AM
United States, GA, Flowery Branch
Joined Apr 2012
69 Posts
I don't recall seeing a save or import to Naza setting in the Assistant software when I turned on the IOC feature, I just pulled the usb plug and powered down copter and TX.
Was I supposed to import and/or save this new set-up?
poprocz is offline Find More Posts by poprocz
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:51 AM
Joined Jul 2011
663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camera_man View Post
As Bo says it's a moldable self-setting rubber/plastic.

https://sugru.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugru
That should be work.

You can get a try.
DJI INNOVATIONS is offline Find More Posts by DJI INNOVATIONS
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:19 AM
Joined Jan 2013
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poprocz View Post
I don't recall seeing a save or import to Naza setting in the Assistant software when I turned on the IOC feature, I just pulled the usb plug and powered down copter and TX.
Was I supposed to import and/or save this new set-up?
i think its in the tools section, you can export your settings and save them on file so should you change them and forget the originals you can simply import the file back into Naza and it puts all settings back to stock set up!!
rudeboy78 is offline Find More Posts by rudeboy78
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:34 AM
Former IAF pilot. Retired
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Apr 2012
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
@Ed - revisit that for a moment -

>>4 greens means you moved the craft on start up
>>and is requesting that you do an Advanced IMU calibration

Normally when I see 4 green, repowering do the trick, but are you saying once its been moved on start up, the thing is all fouled up and I should redo the advanced IMU calibration?
I'd be interested to know the answer as well.
Any input from DJI maybe?
kosem is offline Find More Posts by kosem
Last edited by kosem; Jan 21, 2013 at 04:20 AM. Reason: typo
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:34 AM
Joined Mar 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
This thread will get very long quickly if RC altitude and distance become topics.
They are thoroughly covered in other RCG threads.
For USA newcomers, the privilege to fly RC craft in the National Airspace is under scrutiny by the FAA.
There are federal guidelines in effect that limit RC altitudes near airports or air traffic lanes.
I don't think DJI ever intended the Phantom to be an FPV or high altitude AV/AP aircraft.
That is probably why the trans/rec range is limited.
Do some research and be aware of your responsibility flying past LOS.
Also think about your responsibility flying over people and property.
Please be careful.
Indeed. Have you seen some of the vids people shoot with this thing???

I suspect these will be banned in the UK as soon as someone looses a prop or the IMU goes haywire in a public/built up area and there is a serious accident...

I am fortunate in being out the country, my flying area is sparsely populated.

I have read the CAA pamphlet of RC flying and for models under 7kg there seems to be no actual limit, only that of keeping the model in sight. It also recommends all FPV flyers have co-pilots with buddy boxes... (who does that?)

It is interesting to know that the vertical range is significantly less that the visual range so people should be prepared for auto landings when going up high.

It's also interesting that the auto return home seems to be un-interruptable.
richardtheboffin is offline Find More Posts by richardtheboffin