SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:32 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfreddy View Post
I'm new to flying RC Quads but have been wanting to shoot video from one, so I got the Phantom. First ever flight went great! Grabbed the GoPro 3, strapped it on and this was my second flight!! Anyway, the Phantom took it like a champ! Narry a scratch and seems to fly just as well after this horrific wreck!

http://youtu.be/STm0JuLPJhk
You were flying nose in on your second flight ever?! Brave man! lol
glad you got it up and running again, post new vids when you have some more flights -
kazkioken is offline Find More Posts by kazkioken
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:39 AM
Joined Jan 2013
68 Posts
Quick question for those using the graupner props, are you just fitting them with the normal prop nut that came with the phantom or are you using any star washers etc with them?

asking because they dont seem to get a good hold just using the normal prop nut for the phantom!!
rudeboy78 is offline Find More Posts by rudeboy78
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:04 AM
Head in the Clouds
United Kingdom
Joined Jan 2013
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJI INNOVATIONS View Post
I don't know what is sugru. Can you explain it.
As Bo says it's a moldable self-setting rubber/plastic.

https://sugru.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugru
camera_man is offline Find More Posts by camera_man
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:21 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,088 Posts
I cna't see that the silicone or rubber tape or Sugru would have any impact on the compass, as long as your not using something metallic or magnetic it should be fine.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:30 AM
Always learning..
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2012
408 Posts
Can someone tell if the Naza inside the Phantom is the exact same as the retail Naza M ?

Or have they limited the functionality for the Phantom ?

Many Thanks

Craig
Jumpy07 is offline Find More Posts by Jumpy07
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:32 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,088 Posts
It is the same NAZA, just has different firmware for now. It is even in stock case, although GPS/compass is de-cased.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:34 AM
Former IAF pilot. Retired
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Apr 2012
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camera_man View Post
As Bo says it's a moldable self-setting rubber/plastic.

https://sugru.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugru
Yes it's a great product (a bit expensive though), and I can confirm it works flawless with the compass.
Worth a try to protect it from snow!
kosem is offline Find More Posts by kosem
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:39 AM
Joined Jan 2013
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravia3D View Post
Hey guys, we are getting these here in Japan where I live. I found a video posted of a guy flying his with a Sony Cyber Shot attached. Looks like it flies good and the video looked smooth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW2W2...layer_embedded

I am thinking of buying a Phantom soon but noticed in some GoPro videos the landing skids often show in the videos. Can the cam be moved so it won't show this?

Also, my wife is an expert at sewing and making things. How many would be interested in a GoPro cushion pouch that protects the GoPro while flying or helps prevent damage from crashes? I know already the GoPro has the hard clear case but that's heavy.
Check out his blog. Shows his mount. Unfortunately I don't speak Japanese, but the pics are interesting.

http://skyblog.skypicture.net/
Kcraig99 is offline Find More Posts by Kcraig99
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:50 AM
Joined Jan 2013
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
@Pfreddy Glad you made it down in pretty much one piece.

OK.. both switches UP give you GPS+atti let go of the sticks and with a little luck the Phantom will stay in place.

once it stop and park with the GPS.. take a deep breath, find out what way it is pointing and start flying it _slowly_ back home.. or run like crazy over there and then land it slowly from where you parked it with the GPS.
Thanks Bo! I flat out just panicked, and it wasnt until that last 3 seconds when it banks hard into the trees that I didnt have any control! I wanted to post this so people can see just how rugged this thing is! Thanks for the tip though, I'm getting much better at it!
Pfreddy is offline Find More Posts by Pfreddy
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:58 AM
Switzerland, ZH, Zurich
Joined Jan 2013
11 Posts
Hi all,

Many thanks for the suggestions on if the Phantom is suitable for me. I'll probably go for an F450, but get a Hubsan X4 to build up my flying skills initally :-)

Cheers all and keep uploading the videos!!
PK_CH is offline Find More Posts by PK_CH
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:02 AM
Head in the Clouds
United Kingdom
Joined Jan 2013
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosem View Post
Yes it's a great product (a bit expensive though), and I can confirm it works flawless with the compass.
Worth a try to protect it from snow!
Excellent, thanks. For UK people the white version is available on Amazon for about £6.
camera_man is offline Find More Posts by camera_man
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:07 AM
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Karup
Joined Aug 2012
254 Posts
Could someone explain a n00b, why do you need gimbals for FPV ? i understand it for ap, but fpv you would want to see the direction and horizontal for the aircraft so you know how to turn and so on right?
vartaz is offline Find More Posts by vartaz
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:18 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vartaz View Post
Could someone explain a n00b, why do you need gimbals for FPV ? i understand it for ap, but fpv you would want to see the direction and horizontal for the aircraft so you know how to turn and so on right?
You don't "need" it for anything to be honest, its more if you want the added abilities it provides for stable video. Mostly for AP/AV but some do use FPV on a gimbal but I think mostly when they are using it to frame shots more so than for just flying by.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:31 AM
Head of Production, UK. TV co
United Kingdom, Tutbury
Joined Jan 2013
25 Posts
Hi All
Has anyone out there had any Exp of the RC Logger 5.8Ghz Video Transmission Set?
Looks like a nice solution for a video downlink ..

http://www.rclogger.com/Wireless-Tra...TX-RX-Set.html

They are pretty inexpensive here in the Uk however they are powered from a 5 to 6 volt feed from a Futaba type connector and as i'm not a serious RC modeler but a serious Cameraman I'm a bit in the dark...LOL
So any feedback would be welcome.

Then all i need is it to stop Snowing !!! Love the Phantom for basic gopro work and as a trainer think it cant be beaten :-)
steveh1012 is offline Find More Posts by steveh1012
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:53 AM
Joined Jan 2013
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeboy78 View Post
Quick question for those using the graupner props, are you just fitting them with the normal prop nut that came with the phantom or are you using any star washers etc with them?

asking because they dont seem to get a good hold just using the normal prop nut for the phantom!!

Anyone???
rudeboy78 is offline Find More Posts by rudeboy78