HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:08 PM
Forensic Animation/Video/Photo
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Nov 2011
558 Posts
Well, my new Hero3 is apparently defective. Keeps turning the recording off after a few settings. Looks like a number of people have had this problem. Really bummed because it is preventing me from getting any footage from this mount.

On another note, I have a yaw that doesn't get corrected when I recalibrate the compass. The transmitter controls are all centered in the Assistant. Any thoughts what I can do to correct this? I have to fly with the left stick cranked halfway to the left to keep from yawing while I fly.
vislaw is offline Find More Posts by vislaw
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:13 PM
Joined Dec 2010
8 Posts
Calibration of compass

Hi from fng. Been trying to calibrate the compass with no success. Was told from the dealer that there is a problem on some units & there working on a new frimware up date.
Thinking about returning to Amazon and picking one up local. Stopped by the local hobby shop, he has two. He could not get either to calibrate also ?? Anyone else having problems ?
Thanks for any help.
weltyspc is offline Find More Posts by weltyspc
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:22 PM
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
2,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltyspc View Post
Hi from fng. Been trying to calibrate the compass with no success. Was told from the dealer that there is a problem on some units & there working on a new frimware up date.
Thinking about returning to Amazon and picking one up local. Stopped by the local hobby shop, he has two. He could not get either to calibrate also ?? Anyone else having problems ?
Thanks for any help.
I had the same problem and have the solution for it. My lights were flashing red and yellow and the compass never properly calibrate. A member here pointed this out and a few emails to DJI and here's the fix. If you have a magnet or a magnetic screw driver put it near the compass and see if the light turns green. Move the magnet around the compass few times and this should reset it (or something like that). Try to re calibrate the compass again and it should work now. Hope this helps

My video showing my problem with calibrating the compass:
DJI Phantom calibration problem (1 min 56 sec)

My video explaining how to fix the compass error:
DJI Phanton Compass Calibration Fix (1 min 56 sec)
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS
Last edited by TonyTypeS; Jan 19, 2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:26 PM
Joined Jun 2004
2,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vislaw View Post
Well, my new Hero3 is apparently defective. Keeps turning the recording off after a few settings. Looks like a number of people have had this problem. Really bummed because it is preventing me from getting any footage from this mount.

On another note, I have a yaw that doesn't get corrected when I recalibrate the compass. The transmitter controls are all centered in the Assistant. Any thoughts what I can do to correct this? I have to fly with the left stick cranked halfway to the left to keep from yawing while I fly.
I had that happened to me once. Try reformatting your memory can again and update your gopro after the memory card is updated. This seemed to work for me. Haven't had the GoPro stop recording ever since. Also make sure your using a good memory card that is a class 10

For your yaw problem, you will need to calibrate the sensors. Use Naza Assistant and do the basic calibration. You can so the advance calibration if you want but that usually takes longer and you can not move the Phantom during the process. Try it and see if it helps
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:28 PM
Joined Dec 2010
8 Posts
Thanks ! I will give that a try..... nothing to lose
weltyspc is offline Find More Posts by weltyspc
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:30 PM
Joined Jun 2004
2,036 Posts
I shot some pigeons today with my Phantom! Ok well not literally shooting them,but I was checking out some solar panel on my neighbors roof and a flock of pigeons landed on the power lines. I guess they were more interested in the Phantom than I was haha

DJI Phantom Filming Pigeons Flying (1 min 54 sec)
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:07 PM
Forensic Animation/Video/Photo
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Nov 2011
558 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions Tony. Really appreciate it.
vislaw is offline Find More Posts by vislaw
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:25 PM
Joined Jul 2011
667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camera_man View Post
I've ordered some Sugru, but before it arrives and I go and cover the compass can someone maybe from DJI confirm that covering it with this will still allow it to function correctly? Thanks.
I don't know what is sugru. Can you explain it.
DJI INNOVATIONS is offline Find More Posts by DJI INNOVATIONS
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:37 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vislaw View Post
I am on my third and they will not record to anything but a nice Sandisc type 10 card and when charging and downloading video etc, use the USB ports on the back of the PC rather than front remote USB ports.

After doing the manual upgrade mine has been pretty much lock-up free now.
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:38 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJI INNOVATIONS View Post
I don't know what is sugru. Can you explain it.
Moldable plastic. wonderful stuff.
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:39 PM
Joined Jan 2013
50 Posts
I'm new to flying RC Quads but have been wanting to shoot video from one, so I got the Phantom. First ever flight went great! Grabbed the GoPro 3, strapped it on and this was my second flight!! Anyway, the Phantom took it like a champ! Narry a scratch and seems to fly just as well after this horrific wreck!

DJI Phantom - EPIC Quadcopter CRASH!! (1 min 30 sec)
Pfreddy is offline Find More Posts by Pfreddy
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:01 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,721 Posts
@Pfreddy Glad you made it down in pretty much one piece.

OK.. both switches UP give you GPS+atti let go of the sticks and with a little luck the Phantom will stay in place.

once it stop and park with the GPS.. take a deep breath, find out what way it is pointing and start flying it _slowly_ back home.. or run like crazy over there and then land it slowly from where you parked it with the GPS.
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:14 PM
Joined Jan 2013
5 Posts
Hi - i just purchased the Dji Phantom and i want to purchase some spare batteries which one will you recommend me
I have thoughts between - Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 20C and Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 25C will be the 25C will have any benefit over the 20C ? Also what do you think about the Turnigy nano-tech 2200mah 3S 25~50C Lipo Pack which one should i choose? Or can you recommend me another item.

Thanks in advance.
persuader is offline Find More Posts by persuader
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:20 AM
ec130
So.Cali usa
Joined Mar 2009
304 Posts
Am going to get one at the end of may when I get my tax money back
Ec130b4 is offline Find More Posts by Ec130b4
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:04 AM
Joined Jan 2013
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicfox View Post
Hey guys,

I've been reading through all 112 pages so far on the Phantom. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting one here shortly. I'm an avid GoPro 3 user and look forward to a new "perspective" on my videos with the Phantom.

My main concern is, is this the right quad to start with? I like the Return Home Feature knowing $700 + $400 is not going to just fly off. I'm new to flying and from what I've gathered as long as I take my time and put the effort and patience into it, it should be fine.

Whats some of the beginners that have had a chance to fly the Phantom say in regards to my question? Experts as well of coarse.

And thanks to everyone who have posted in this forum, your experiences and advice are appreciated.

Fox
Hey Fox, I am an absolutely beginner and I tested once a helicopter and now my dji phantom. I must say the Phantom is one of the easiest flying objects in the air.
In GPS Mode the DJI Phantom is stable easy to fly and worth every penny.

To prove it here is my first flight ever with a copter and the dji phantom:

DJI Phantom with GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition flight in Gelsenkirchen Germany (4 min 9 sec)

I first was also a little bit nervous 570,- EUR for the Phantom and 460,- EUR for the GoPro Black but I must say: piece of cake. Read the manual to understand the blinking of the LEDs and when everything is green GO.

Arthur
ArtSteinhauser is offline Find More Posts by ArtSteinhauser