HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:40 PM
Enjoying life through flight
Joined Mar 2012
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
If you are going to do that, why get a Phantom? Wait until the replacement parts are available and make your own custom or just buy a F330 ARF with Naza and GPS, $580 plus your Rx and Tx. That makes a lot more sense to me, but to each his own.
I agree but I've already got an F450 and like the foundation of the phantom. I think it has potential for some fun sunday afternoon adventures.
BigEast is offline Find More Posts by BigEast
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:04 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Dec 2012
13 Posts
Hello,
I'm absolutely new to all of this and have never owned a Quad before or any RC craft and I am looking for a new hobby to curb my middle age crisis, the Harley worked for a bit but now i found something super cool and I think it will work well with chasing the real UFOS out of my community up here in Vancouver or at least surprise them!! This Phantom looks awesome for someone like me but on the other hand I would like to add options eventually once I get the experience, and altitude would be important so I can reach them low flying UFOs,Haha Any suggestions, looking at the HT 450 Quad from guys in Florida, RTF and seems like a solid Quad with top quality specs, i did a ton of research but so much out there and nothing in Canada as usual, unless someone knows differently. Any comments or suggestions would be great, or do you think this Phantom would be great start. Never flown but technically smart and played a ton of Xbox and PS3., haha. also do astrophotography with 8 inch telescope , so I learn quick and don't want a toy.Many thanks Charles
Bentbros is offline Find More Posts by Bentbros
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:10 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentbros View Post
Hello,
I'm absolutely new to all of this and have never owned a Quad before or any RC craft and I am looking for a new hobby to curb my middle age crisis, the Harley worked for a bit but now i found something super cool and I think it will work well with chasing the real UFOS out of my community up here in Vancouver or at least surprise them!! This Phantom looks awesome for someone like me but on the other hand I would like to add options eventually once I get the experience, and altitude would be important so I can reach them low flying UFOs,Haha Any suggestions, looking at the HT 450 Quad from guys in Florida, RTF and seems like a solid Quad with top quality specs, i did a ton of research but so much out there and nothing in Canada as usual, unless someone knows differently. Any comments or suggestions would be great, or do you think this Phantom would be great start. Never flown but technically smart and played a ton of Xbox and PS3., haha. also do astrophotography with 8 inch telescope , so I learn quick and don't want a toy.Many thanks Charles
I carry parts here in Canada and will have some phantoms coming in. www.flitelab.com

If you want to get your feet wet in quads and see if you even like it and as a cheap learning tool, I'd suggest getting a Blade mqx rtf bundle from your local hobby shop. Cheapest quickest way to get something to try and learn on. Video games may help some but learning orientation can take some time to pickup since your dealing with an aircraft in 3d space moving in various directions relative to you. A sim can be a good tool but I think the mqx is as good a place to start as any.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Last edited by flitelab; Dec 03, 2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:46 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Dec 2012
13 Posts
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
I carry parts here in Canada and will have some phantoms coming in. www.flitelab.com

If you want to get your feet wet in quads and see if you even like it and as a cheap learning tool, I'd suggest getting a Blade mqx rtf bundle from your local hobby shop. Cheapest quickest way to get something to try and learn on. Video games may help some but learning orientation can take some time to pickup since your dealing with an aircraft in 3d space moving in various directions relative to you. A sim can be a good tool but I think the mqx is as good a place to start as any.
Thanks for the response!! I have played around with some and yes I know what you mean but I know I will like it for sure especially the capability to video shoot. I might just do that and get the Mqx, many people recommend this one for noobs but how about the AR Drone? Because its IOS flown? I hear nothing about this model but lost interest quite fast once I did a little more research . I might get both MQX immediately and then order either the Phantom or HT 450 advanced ...what ya think? Thanks
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:59 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,623 Posts
The ar drone since it doesn't use a normal rc transmitter isn't going to give you much experience for moving up. I'd just get the mqx for now and learn the research the next best step for your needs.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:17 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Dec 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
The ar drone since it doesn't use a normal rc transmitter isn't going to give you much experience for moving up. I'd just get the mqx for now and learn the research the next best step for your needs.
Thanks , I saw the rtf for 150 bucks but includes Dsmx2 transmitter , do you think best I get like the Dx6i and buy just the MQX stand alone...more money but I wouldn't have to upgrade my transmitter later on. I'm assuming the RTF transmitter is really limited and probably wouldn't be good with my HT 450 or whatever system I decide on of course besides the Phantom..thoughts? And then off to bed!! Appreciate your help...I'll be getting parts from you some day!
Charles
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:29 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,623 Posts
The Dx6i is a good starter radio and would be good with the bnf mqx. If you think you'll stick with the hobby I'd probably go the Dx7s or Dx8 as it gives you more channels but also a nicer radio with more switches for flight modes and other settings. The rtf transmitter is just a basic gampad style.

The Phantom has its own transmitter but for ongoing use in the hobby it's probably not a solution, since its really specific to just the phantom.

To get back on thread topic a bit, the big plus of the phantom is going to be that it's a more "full size" quad that can handle a gopro and comes with a normal style lipo and charger. So great way to get a single bundle that can carry a cam and do altitude and position hold right out of the box. Even for existing multi pilots this may be a great grab and go setup or one to train friends on. I can see carrying one with me for a quick flight or to grab a quick pic or video, without having to take all my bigger gear.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by flitelab; Dec 03, 2012 at 02:48 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:43 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Dec 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
The Dx6i is a good starter radio and would be good with the bnf mqx. If you think you'll stick with the hobby I'd probably go the Dx7s or Dx8 as it gives you more channels but also a nicer radio with more switches for flight modes and other settings. The rtf transmitter is just a basic gampad style.

The Phantom has its own transmitter but for ongoing use in the hobby it's probably not a solution, since its really specific to just the phantom.
Perfect...going to pick it up tomorrow ...I could start playing around with it in my condo as I'm sure the MQX is not good in the rain. And I can also attach my little pin camera as I have a tiny little PVR with 2 inc screen ways a few ounces, probably could lift it...haha..why not! Thanks again for your help..at least I will be flying sooner than later, do you know the range of this little machine with the Dx 7 or 8? Probably not such a big issue as its so small, probably lose sight after about 100 ft anyways
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:51 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentbros View Post
Perfect...going to pick it up tomorrow ...I could start playing around with it in my condo as I'm sure the MQX is not good in the rain. And I can also attach my little pin camera as I have a tiny little PVR with 2 inc screen ways a few ounces, probably could lift it...haha..why not! Thanks again for your help..at least I will be flying sooner than later, do you know the range of this little machine with the Dx 7 or 8? Probably not such a big issue as its so small, probably lose sight after about 100 ft anyways
It's a park range really but you'll loose sight before radio range anyway. It will carry a keychain cam, one with a screen might be pushing it though. I'd grab some extra lipos for the mqx as well, I carry the Hyperion ones for it, better than the stock one, think I still have a couple in stock.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:52 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,623 Posts
It will be interesting to see if DJI release Rx for their radio or if this will be single use for phantom only.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:00 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Dec 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
It will be interesting to see if DJI release Rx for their radio or if this will be single use for phantom only.
Thanks, I will see how it goes..now I'm pushing the dollars before I get what I really want but I agree I need to practice and purchasing 300 dollar Transmitter is well worth it as I'm sure I will be getting into this hobby as I always wanted with planes. I was really into rocket building and when I was young I wanted to purchase RC plane and transmitter specifically for shooting smaller rockets from the plane...things you think of doing when you're a young teenager..now middles aged with cash, why not start now ( without the rocket launch haha) the Dx7 here in Vancouver has a version with 2 free Rx , for 50 bucks more, worth it? Otherwise regular Dx7 is 250.00 . If I really like this quad, I'll buy a couple of Lipos from you, free delivery?haha...thanks Charles
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:06 AM
Joined Dec 2010
21 Posts
Hello,

As a beginner i have flown the MQX with a Spektrum Radio.

Think it is the better thing to do , easy to fly and strong , much better than a sim.

But dont like wind outside .

After that have a DJI F450 : very nice and stable

Quite agree with flitelab.

Have happy flights

Jean Paul
cats92 is offline Find More Posts by cats92
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:20 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Dec 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats92 View Post
Hello,

As a beginner i have flown the MQX with a Spektrum Radio.

Think it is the better thing to do , easy to fly and strong , much better than a sim.

But dont like wind outside .

After that have a DJI F450 : very nice and stable

Quite agree with flitelab.

Have happy flights

Jean Paul
Thanks Jean Paul...all great recommendations and probably do what you did..I just found out I can purchase a new F450 here in Vancouver, so MQX first and play around indoors and hallway to my neighbors, they'll love that , to prepare for summer with F450 with Wookong system..yeah!,,!. Priceless help and thanks again Flitelab,JP...c
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:46 AM
Joined Dec 2012
166 Posts
@Photoship One, were the props balanced?
jowek is offline Find More Posts by jowek
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:50 AM
Cumming Ga
Joined Apr 2002
2,864 Posts
We are working on a complete parts list now and will have it up on the site in a coupe of days. As of now there is no PNP version in the works.
CW
atlav8r is offline Find More Posts by atlav8r
Site Sponsor