HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:21 PM
Registered User
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
I'll leave it stock as an example of DJI's RTF.
My modifying urges are satisfied by my F450 and F550...
I too use the standard navigational protocol; red on starboard; green on port. Too bad, not all engineers fly the products.
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:31 PM
DJI and Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,841 Posts
Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
I too use the standard navigational protocol; red on starboard; green on port. Too bad, not all engineers fly the products.
You've got it backwards, Sidney.
Or are you just testing us?
Some hints from my sailing days...
Port is not Right for children.
Port wine is Red.
Left (4 letters) is Port (4 letters)
Right & Green (more than 4 letters) is Starboard (more than 4 letters)
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Jan 17, 2013 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Changed smiley, added green, handed Sidney a graceful way out...
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:36 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
I too use the standard navigational protocol; red on starboard; green on port. Too bad, not all engineers fly the products.
LOL... yes really, forcing the engineers to go fly would probably cause things like the battery door to be completely redesigned instantly.
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:40 PM
Registered User
rudeboy78's Avatar
Joined Jan 2013
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
You've got it backwards, Sidney.
Some hints from my sailing days...
Port is not Right for children.
Port wine is Red.
Left (4 letters) is Port (4 letters)
Right (more than 4 letters) is Starboard (more than for letters)

went to the bar and there was no port left!! that how i remember!!
rudeboy78 is offline Find More Posts by rudeboy78
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:59 PM
DJI and Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,841 Posts
You're Right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
LOL... yes really, forcing the engineers to go fly would probably cause things like the battery door to be completely redesigned instantly.
As an engineer, that battery door does worry me a little.
I usually have batteries tied down firm with velcro...

And I hope that little piece of string has nothing to do with the battery door...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Jan 17, 2013 at 06:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:27 PM
Registered User
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Yeah, I sure did.
I remember we talked about the door back in June last year. Oh well .....
Sometimes it is good to love what you do .... too much you go nowhere.
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:33 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
I remember we talked about the door back in June last year. Oh well .....
Im thinking the simple solution is a strap of velcro on the door and stick it to some velcro on top over the door. some white stuff will look like it belong (almost)
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:37 PM
DJI and Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,841 Posts
Not Breaking My Motto...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
Im thinking the simple solution is a strap of velcro on the door and stick it to some velcro on top over the door. some white stuff will look like it belong (almost)
Until the door pops open, I'll stay stock to see what happens...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: If You Don't See It Here...
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:44 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
2,024 Posts
I think for what the Phantom was design for the battery door should function just fine. Now for guys who's planning to fly aggressive and attempting to do flips then you might want to strap the batter down or tape the hatch down

It would have been nice if the whole shell was sealed for flying in the rain tho haha
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:49 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2010
687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
As an engineer, that battery door does worry me a little.
I usually have batteries tied down firm with velcro...

And I hope that little piece of string has nothing to do with the battery door...
i thought it was for a wind sock on antenna....he he
i dont have any idea.

if this is any comparision to wookong, im really think im need all the wookong and naza product.... what amaizing flight handeling and ease of control....

what is the string for?
boxhead530 is offline Find More Posts by boxhead530
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:02 PM
DJI and Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,841 Posts
Time To Say It...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTypeS View Post
I think for what the Phantom was design for the battery door should function just fine. Now for guys who's planning to fly aggressive and attempting to do flips then you might want to strap the batter down or tape the hatch down

It would have been nice if the whole shell was sealed for flying in the rain tho haha
If you fly RC long enough, you are going to crash.
There are just too many things that can go wrong/fail.
You need to enter into this hobby with that realization.
One big factor rests between your ears...

No amount of velcro (that I've used) will hold a battery when you suffer 20+' drop.
If you wrap it up like a mummy, where's the convenience?
Trust me, that door is probably coming open if you crash.
And your battery is going to go flying.
If you're lucky, it will come unplugged.
That door could be designed to pop open...
Crash reports are not in yet on Phantom.
If it's as well designed as the other DJI airframes, you'll be surprised with how little damage you might suffer.
I hope it's obvious that I don't recommend flying over pavement...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Jan 17, 2013 at 07:13 PM. Reason: If you ask me why you want your battery to come unplugged, I'll tell you...
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:15 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
No amount of velcro (that I've used) will hold a battery when you suffer 20+' drop.
:
CHECK +1 for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
Crash reports are not in yet on Phantom.
If it's as well designed as the other DJI airframes, you'll be surprised with how little damage you might suffer.
Only my own experience.
Door DO fly open.
Battery did pop out
Battery DID come un-plugged.
(cable is nicely stress protected by zip tie to the board inside)
Not a scratch to the Phantom in two crashes, one hard.
The tubular frame takes impact shockingly well.!
and surprisingly there is no backup mirrors to avoid bushes - recommending to ONLY fly forward in FPV, dont ask how I know.
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:11 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
44 Posts
DJI phantom GoPro Hero2 Lake Michigan (1 min 35 sec)
Kcraig99 is offline Find More Posts by Kcraig99
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:51 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
2,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
If you fly RC long enough, you are going to crash.
There are just too many things that can go wrong/fail.
You need to enter into this hobby with that realization.
One big factor rests between your ears...

No amount of velcro (that I've used) will hold a battery when you suffer 20+' drop.
If you wrap it up like a mummy, where's the convenience?
Trust me, that door is probably coming open if you crash.
And your battery is going to go flying.
If you're lucky, it will come unplugged.
That door could be designed to pop open...
Crash reports are not in yet on Phantom.
If it's as well designed as the other DJI airframes, you'll be surprised with how little damage you might suffer.
I hope it's obvious that I don't recommend flying over pavement...
Lol I dont expect anything to hold up in a crash. No matter how much velcro you use or wrap the battery is going to find a way to get loose or break loose. I've crashed my planes and helis too many times over the years haha I though you guys were saying the battery door is a problem in flight not in a crash
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:32 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
@Price4Flight - YES it will be available as a ready to fly kit. it will be easy to install and remove from the Phantom using a finger-screw to the build in install treads.

*** but I grew up with a saying "don't sell the hide before you kill the bear" and I like to iron out as much as possible of the issues first.
Bo this looks great! Hey could you PM me your email address had some questions about where to fly here in LA and your upcoming trip
kazkioken is offline Find More Posts by kazkioken
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion DJI Quadcopter Frame BUILD Thread Quad_Addict Multirotor Talk 78 Mar 17, 2014 10:20 PM
Mini-HowTo POSTING VIDEO: How to Upgrade a Gaui 330x quadcopter with a DJI NAZA Lucidity47 Multirotor Talk 5 Jun 07, 2012 12:31 AM
Video Multiwii Quadcopter Dji F-450 frame Updated Video Anda Inc. Electric Heli Talk 1 May 23, 2012 02:51 PM
Discussion DJI S800 Spreading Wings has landed at Quadcopters UK Headquarters QuadcoptersUk Multirotor Talk 8 May 14, 2012 01:27 PM