HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2013, 11:01 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
281 Posts
my scale says 247 but that's not every tiny screw and they are still in plastic so...let's say roughly 250grams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma View Post
Hi All,

Could someone tell me the weight of the bare Phantom shell including hardware please?

I'm interested in using it for a multiwii frame, but can't find the weight.

Cheers!
kazkioken is offline Find More Posts by kazkioken
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2013, 11:45 PM
:)
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazkioken View Post
my scale says 247 but that's not every tiny screw and they are still in plastic so...let's say roughly 250grams
Hey, thanks a lot for that mate!

Is it possible to weigh the landing gear so I can subtract it, or the shell without landing gear? I'm just going to build an acro copter

Thanks again!
Soma is offline Find More Posts by Soma
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:00 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma View Post
Hey, thanks a lot for that mate!

Is it possible to weigh the landing gear so I can subtract it, or the shell without landing gear? I'm just going to build an acro copter

Thanks again!
sure easy:

Landing gear: 43 grams
Shell only: 180 grams
Prop guards: 77 grams <-- heavy I don't use them anymore, someone should make them in carbon fiber they'd sell a lot
kazkioken is offline Find More Posts by kazkioken
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:07 AM
:)
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazkioken View Post
sure easy:

Landing gear: 43 grams
Shell only: 180 grams
Prop guards: 77 grams <-- heavy I don't use them anymore, someone should make them in carbon fiber they'd sell a lot
Awesome mate! That's exactly what I've been looking for.

I'll put the words... Phantom Shell Weight here so they can be searched

Thanks again for your help mate
Soma is offline Find More Posts by Soma
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2013, 03:28 AM
Czech Republic, Karlovy Vary Region
Joined May 2013
405 Posts
Crack the shell under the engine

I discovered under a single-engine crack, and I have already ordered a new shell, but it will take and do not necessarily need to then still fly.

Can you advise me please anyone any good and quick temporary solution for the secure of the cracks? Some superglue, and what this plastic? Thanks.

I am afraid that the engine now holds only one screw - I seem to remember that this problem has been solved somewhere here, but I do not know with what result?

gardenroute is offline Find More Posts by gardenroute
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Go Africa 2013 Expedition
Old Jul 26, 2013, 03:31 AM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumanoc View Post
Any one interested in this .... oooppss.... don't know how to name it... clone?... or replicant? or ...twin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKCueSq7vqc
Very confusing specs. Pics look like a 350 but specs say it's a 550+ with 10" props
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Old Jul 26, 2013, 03:34 AM
Philippines, NCR, Makati City
Joined Sep 2012
705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenroute View Post
I discovered under a single-engine crack, and I have already ordered a new shell, but it will take and do not necessarily need to then still fly.

Can you advise me please anyone any good and quick temporary solution for the secure of the cracks? Some superglue, and what this plastic? Thanks.

I am afraid that the engine now holds only one screw - I seem to remember that this problem has been solved somewhere here, but I do not know with what result?

Join the club!
Still waiting on my replacement shell.

What I did was to use CA glue for the cracks and then reinforce inside using JB Weld. So far only 2 new cracks appeared after more than 20 flights.

By any chance did you oil you motor bearings (either on the stock motors and/or the T-Motors) before the cracks appeared?

And yes, more cracks on the other motor mounts will appear soon.
natscape is offline Find More Posts by natscape
Last edited by natscape; Jul 26, 2013 at 03:42 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 08:52 AM
United States, TX, Montgomery
Joined Aug 2006
1,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by natscape View Post
Join the club!
Still waiting on my replacement shell.

What I did was to use CA glue for the cracks and then reinforce inside using JB Weld. So far only 2 new cracks appeared after more than 20 flights.

By any chance did you oil you motor bearings (either on the stock motors and/or the T-Motors) before the cracks appeared?

And yes, more cracks on the other motor mounts will appear soon.
I opened shell and first applied masking tape to outside bottom. Then mixed up thin epoxy mix with some mico-balloons and filled all the open pockets with this mixture.Oh I also coated some long 3mm bolts with Vaseline and threaded them on to all mounting hole to allow epoxy to fill all areas. To remove these stand-offs after epoxy has set simply heat then a bit if needed. Also I drilled a 3/16" hole in motor center for stress relief. Total job time less then an hour excluding epoxy set up time[overnite]. donnie
menksters is offline Find More Posts by menksters
Last edited by menksters; Jul 26, 2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 09:31 AM
Joined Apr 2013
55 Posts
DJI Phantom Video Contest - Moments With Nature (tight edit)

DJI Phantom Video Contest - Moments With Nature (tight edit) (3 min 12 sec)

Here's my video for the Dji Phantom video contest. It's tough competition. Still need 300 thumbs up for winning...
pexi1982 is offline Find More Posts by pexi1982
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:18 AM
Joined Jul 2012
278 Posts
Quote:
Thats an option. Be advise that 2 devices will consume 2x battery juice, but 1 dual switched, may reduce to 1.5x battery juice for both, so longer flight time
Yeah i have thought about that issue too. I just not sure how fond i would be of switching the signal from one to another since i have never flown FPV. I think i could make my self used to it once i started and trainer my self.

But it would save me some weight and save me some battery life also..

think i already need to upgrade to a larger frame and use the phantom guts to start out with then upgrade pc by pc but i would rather get the phantom off the ground and going like i want it.. now if i could just find the post where someone listed the transmitter switch for me lol...
altereddezignz is offline Find More Posts by altereddezignz
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:25 AM
Joined Jul 2012
278 Posts
Quote:
This is really light. No heavy "power consumer":

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Channel-Vi...item3a8113e824
This is what i was trying to find but it is just a switch i would still need a dual transmitters. So i think i may order the 2 5.8mhz 200mw kits and just have extra parts and simply find a dual transmitter tat will work on the same frequencies.. Thats the only way i know how to do it to keep weight down and battery life high. Also doing it this way if i do not like the video switching i can just install the other transmitter and the ground station will already be assembled and ready for whatever i use and like better.
altereddezignz is offline Find More Posts by altereddezignz
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:56 AM
United States, TX, Montgomery
Joined Aug 2006
1,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pexi1982 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neh39w1fXvk

Here's my video for the Dji Phantom video contest. It's tough competition. Still need 300 thumbs up for winning...
What a nice enjoyable video you have Sir. donnie
menksters is offline Find More Posts by menksters
Old Jul 26, 2013, 11:42 AM
Up, Up & hopefully away!!
United States, FL, Volusia County
Joined May 2013
1,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pexi1982 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neh39w1fXvk

Nice video!

But unfortunately there are number of videos that have 5000+ likes.
flboy286 is offline Find More Posts by flboy286
Old Jul 26, 2013, 11:56 AM
Joined May 2013
1,513 Posts
Ibcrazy's 5.8ghz helical antenna

I did a few test this morning comparing the 4 lobe bluebeam to Ibcrazy's 5.8ghz helical antenna.

First test: flew out to some trees and when the video started getting choppy, I switched from the bluebeam to the 5.8ghz helical antenna and the image was clear. Not prefect, but much better than the 4 lobe.

Second test: flew straight out doing a distance this and when I got to the point where I had to turn to head home, I sat there and yawed around and the helical was awesome. It got some "static" when the quad was facing home, but the image on the goggles was still flyable.

Third test: using the 4 lobe and flying in manual mode(fast & climbing), the image had this "rolling" screen, similar to jello as it got higher & farther away. The helical had none of this.

Overall I'm very happy with Ibcrazy's 5.8ghz helical antenna and it will now be my primary Vrx antenna.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:11 PM
Joined May 2013
1,513 Posts
Almost had to land in the dump again

Here's my question, does manual mode use more juice than ATTI mode?

I'm talking flying straight out at full speed and then back????

Also how do you check the current level via a multimeter?

The reason I ask is because I flew straight out in manual mode and then straight back. When I got close to my home point, the EOSD was showing 11.15V. When the battery gets to this point I just fly around the home area until it gets down to about 10.9V and then I land.

So I thought I still had another minute or two and started to climb(still in manual mode) when the voltage just dropped to 10.9V. I turned and started back to land when I noticed that I was losing altitude and I was still 25 yards away from the 8' fence. I flip S1 to ATTI and I barely made it over the fence(throttle at 100%). I removed the goggles and the LED was flashing red. So I put it down right on the dirt road. Note: this is a new battery with only 4 flights on it and was fully charged prior to flight.

Tomorrow I'll take a note pad & pencil and I'll write down the voltage & time at the beginning & end of each flight/mode. This may give me an idea if manual mode does use more juice than ATTI.