HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:36 PM
Retired aircraft maintenance
United Kingdom, England, Wiltshire
Joined Oct 2009
23 Posts
Discussion
BAE Lightning

This is an iconic British fighter interceptor that I'd dearly like to have in kit form preferably, but build up kit'd do fine, if only there were such a thing.
Any sources you fellas are aware off. Obliged, cagey.
Ken Gerrard is offline Find More Posts by Ken Gerrard
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:53 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2012
51 Posts
This kits from England:

http://www.mickreevesmodels.co.uk/~m.../lightning.htm
Herby_007 is offline Find More Posts by Herby_007
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:37 PM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Gerrard View Post
This is an iconic British fighter interceptor that I'd dearly like to have in kit form preferably, but build up kit'd do fine, if only there were such a thing.
Do a google search,quite a few options,also links back to builds on here.
Regards Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:11 AM
Joined Oct 2009
23 Posts
G'day Herby, That's one for my wish list mate, or as her indoors says " In your dreams honey "
Just a tad too adventurous for this old dog, gotta love it, though it's not really an EDF. I'm really hoping to find something that'll fit fully rigged into me old Astra shopping trolley for that odd day here in the UK when flying is possible, missed it this year, had a lie in. HAH !
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:28 AM
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
583 Posts
Here's one that a friend of mine scaled up to 200% and it flew very nicely.

He made a few changes to thickness/type of wood/materials, sheeted areas etc. to give it extra strength for EDF and with this beefing up his Lightning still came out light and very fast.

You will find the plan (and many others) here:

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2918

T.D.
T.D. is offline Find More Posts by T.D.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:13 PM
Joined Oct 2009
23 Posts
T.D. Thanks for the reply there buddy, that brought back a few memories going through that old stuff. Never had much success(NONE) with these Jetex kits, burnt me fingers some thogh ! I've started with some rough drawings of a F6 Lightning as a pre-emptive strike on no success with an arf kit of the same. Going to be a long haul, but winter's the time to do it I guess.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:56 AM
EDF Vulcan To The Sky
Near Koblenz, Germany
Joined Jul 2002
201 Posts
An EDF Kit from the UK:

http://greenairdesigns.com/ejc/index...tning-f-6.html

High end turbine kit from Germany:

http://www.airworld.de/Englisch/Index.htm

Cheers
Frank
Radar-Guy is offline Find More Posts by Radar-Guy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Radar-Guy; Nov 23, 2012 at 03:15 AM. Reason: German source added
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:06 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,580 Posts
I have a passion for the EE Lightning and would also like a model of it .. I've looked at Greenair and various ...

One of the areas that I find hard to see how to do it ... aileron control ? Would you do it along the swept trailing edge or at the wing tips ? How to connect up if wing tips ?

The EE Lightning is an amazing machine ... '14 tons of screaming aluminium' was one nickname ! It still holds records to this day ... and is the only interceptor that actually got to the U2 ...

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:06 PM
Joined Oct 2009
23 Posts
Hey Frank, Hi buddy, yeah did have a hard look at the GAD F6, it's depron and I ain't too keen on that stuff. The build is interesting to say the least, so it's a consideration. Thankyou, Cagey.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined Oct 2009
23 Posts
[QUOTE

One of the areas that I find hard to see how to do it ... aileron control ? Would you do it along the swept trailing edge or at the wing tips ? How to connect up if wing tip.

Nigel[/QUOTE]

Could you clarify your query. Not too sure what you mean, as the ailerons are the same as any other planes, outer trailing edge as per full size In the model separate servos mounted in the M/P at around mid aileron position, conventional operating rod, and the servo lead fed through the centre of the wing via extension leads to the r/x in the fuselage.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:05 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,580 Posts
Quote:
[QUOTE

One of the areas that I find hard to see how to do it ... aileron control ? Would you do it along the swept trailing edge or at the wing tips ? How to connect up if wing tip.

Nigel
Could you clarify your query. Not too sure what you mean, as the ailerons are the same as any other planes, outer trailing edge as per full size In the model separate servos mounted in the M/P at around mid aileron position, conventional operating rod, and the servo lead fed through the centre of the wing via extension leads to the r/x in the fuselage. [/quote]

Maybe you missed my point - the BaE Lighning has a 60deg swept back wing that makes the trailing edge serious angle to airflow. The wing is also incredibly thin.
I see the GD has the wng ends acting as ailerrons - what are really the wingtips as i asked. The ends of the wings are basically 90 deg to the fuselage.

So my question was how to control them ... too thin to put servos out there ... trailing edge is too sharop an angle ....

That's why I asked.

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:09 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2007
1,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Gerrard View Post
Why not build from scratch?

Start with a very simplified profile design and if it succeed move
on to full fuselage as the ultimate goal.

Source
http://richard.ferriere.free.fr/3vue...ingf6_1_3v.jpg
http://richard.ferriere.free.fr/3vue...ingf6_2_3v.jpg

Building and flying something built by Your self are very rewarding
even if Your mates may not find it good looking ... (envy ...)

BUT it's time consuming so for me at the moment not an option ... sigh
FLOEY is offline Find More Posts by FLOEY
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:19 AM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,464 Posts
On the Lightning the flaps are on the swept inner trailing edge, and the ailerons are located on the rear of the wingtips. But do keep in mind that the main gear retracts out and back towards the wingtips so they are not as thin as you think. I really do not understand what the problem is here either. You get servos that are 8-10mm thick made for this kind of use so what is the problem?
Arngeir Blakseth is offline Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:44 PM
Crawley West Sussex U.K.
Joined Nov 2004
39 Posts
Hi,

I have made a few lightnings over the years all fly very well if speed kept up in the turns.

First was from a plan by Frank Bishop if I remember its the one Im holding started out as ICDF but soon changed to electric pusher.

Next was my own design 1:13 scale F6 IC with prop at front not yet flown due to being over weight for my liking.

Remade an electric version about 2 years ago half the weight flew great untill full radio lock out. It flew on till out of sight never got it back have some video somewhere.

Latest is from the same plan but for pusher 1.5 kg for 1200 watts should go well, first flight aborted due to ESC Blowing at startup. New ESC fitted just waiting on the weather.

My plans are in turbo cad format but can convert if interested.
tubalan is offline Find More Posts by tubalan
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:34 AM
Joined Oct 2009
23 Posts
Plans from where ?

Hi there tubulan, Thanks for your reply m8,. My intention is to put my old but serviceable Squall EP set up into a 1/14 scale F6, I'Ve chosen that scale because it's virtually the same size as my Art Tech Alpha jet which is a 64mm fan driven by 2200 3s Lipo, and that bu**er shifts ! The 68mm fan and 40amp ESC from the Sqall gives significantly more oomph per volt, so there's enough tolerance to allow for weight variances from my as yet fully formalised plan ( i.e. ain't got one ) just have a nice set of 3 views and a roll of wallpaper at the ready.
So the plan you've used in turbo cad (wazzat then ?) is that adaptable for an EDF mk F6 ? How can I get a copy if yes to that ?
Much obliged buddy. Cagey (Ken Gerrard) in wet and windy Amesbury next to the stones, no flying today so doodling instead