Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:30 AM
THE PUBLIC IS THE PROBLEM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2012
3,290 Posts
Well I took the quad out to fly at the park. First chance I get to stretch its legs a little. I am having some issues flying with 3s batteries, and even with 4s it flies like the frame is too heavy. I also had issues with HeadsFree mode, altitude hold & position hold. But I later found out I had no 3D Fix with the GPS.

Anyhow, here's a video of it flying with two 2200mah 4S batteries. Total flight time, without any FPV gear, aprox 4.5min

Flight Test #3 (4 min 43 sec)

I weighed the frame today, and without batteries its 3lbs 11oz. Not sure if thats too heavy. I spent the evening removing the MWC and putting my KK2 board on the frame. Tomorrow I will fly with the 3s batteries to see if the KK2 handles the frame better....
subaru4wd is online now Find More Posts by subaru4wd
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 01:51 PM
Switzerland
Joined Jul 2010
345 Posts
@subaru4wd
Nice smooth flight, ready for FPV
eyesonsky is offline Find More Posts by eyesonsky
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:39 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,738 Posts
4.5 mins with two 2200 battery packs!!! Something is not right there. How old are your packs?
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Cruisy Quad Flight
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:29 PM
Joined Aug 2012
3,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt Double View Post
4.5 mins with two 2200 battery packs!!! Something is not right there. How old are your packs?
No idea. I purchased them used here on RCG. I have plans to buy brand new 3000 or 3300's soon.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:59 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Multiwii's are a little more work to get dialed in. Took me a good week of tweaking before I feel like my first is finally getting dialed in. One of my complaints was lack of a sharp throttle response when in level mode.

Do the batteries bounce back or are you really pulling 4400 @ 4s in 4.5 minutes?
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:05 PM
Joined Aug 2012
3,290 Posts
Not sure how many amps are being pulled out of the batteries. I will be meeting a buddy and using his Watt-meter later this week to help answer some battery load questions i have.

I flew this morning with my KK2 board just fine with the 3s batteries. Then I recharged the batteries, loaded MPNG onto my MWC and set that all up. Flew with the 3s batteries without a problem for a good 4-5 minutes.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:09 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2012
378 Posts
You seriously need to get the weight down , 4-5 minute flight times are ridiculous , almost useless for any real fpv, you'll be worrying about the voltage alarm going off before you actually enjoy your flight.
I'm getting 8+ minutes on 2200 4s batts with aggressive flights,slightly more if I'm just hovering.
jimbob69 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob69
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:19 AM
Joined Aug 2012
3,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob69 View Post
You seriously need to get the weight down , 4-5 minute flight times are ridiculous , almost useless for any real fpv, you'll be worrying about the voltage alarm going off before you actually enjoy your flight.
I'm getting 8+ minutes on 2200 4s batts with aggressive flights,slightly more if I'm just hovering.
How heavy is your frame, minus batteries?? Also at what voltage do you stop flying? My onboard voltage alarm alerts me when any cell reaches 3.5v. But its horribly inaccurate and im sure its more like 3.7-3.8v when the alarm starts to go off. I have been trusting my FrSky Telemetry unit & Voltage sensor which only gives me overall battery voltage. I try not to stay in the air when the battery gets any lower than 10.5v

I just had the quad on the bench, tuning the P I D and setting different options in MPNG. The Battery Voltage was 11.3v according to the FrSky display. That's after they have sat a few hours.

This is my 5min test flight I did today to see how MPNG performs with my FC:
First Real Flight with MPNG (5 min 46 sec)

I know these batteries have seen better days. Maybe for christmas Santa Claus will leave me a couple 3300mah nano-techs???
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:32 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2012
378 Posts
I'll weigh them in a bit and let you know, just got a bunch of zippy compacts, bit lighter and cheaper than the nanotechs I think,only 35c - 40c but don't seem to sag as much as higher c nanotechs which is encouraging!

If you can, get the quannum telemetry thing, fantastic bit of kit compared to buzzers or total voltage reads. Has a 2 stage alarm, first warning at 3.5v and I land at 3.3v without fail, been taking 1760mah from 2200 consistently this way.

Much harder to judge with cheap buzzers that go off randomly after a quick throttle poke and scare the crap out of you.
jimbob69 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob69
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:10 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,421 Posts
Finally got the new build done and its already attacked me twice. My knee still hurts. Anyways, heres one of the videos I did today. I made another one but its too long to upload. Gonna have to cut it into a couple pieces. I was using two 3300 mah packs and it flew for about 15 minutes. Give or take. Didn't do a real time test. Turn your volume off, the sound is irritating. At least I think so. The camera was in its water proof case.

Tom
miss evil trip to C & L's (6 min 53 sec)
carr52 is online now Find More Posts by carr52
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: T-38 Talon
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:44 PM
Joined Aug 2012
3,290 Posts
Well I finally found the time to charge all my batteries. I also had two 2650mah batteries that needed XT60 connectors, so I installed new connectors on them so now I have four 4s batteries to fly with. I quickly found out my dual battery mount would not fit the 2650's, but thats okay because I wanted to make a new mount so I could run only 1 battery, and have it directly under the flight controller for best C.O.G

So this is what I came up with:

I also found out one of my 2200mah 4S batteries are no good. I flew for only a few seconds before the battery dropped from 16.4v to 13.3v. Once landed the battery would rise back to 15.2v, but when in the air the battery just could not keep up. So that battery is trash. The 2650mah batteries did great, and I got maybe 4+ minutes of flight time off each of them.

I had just enough battery power to complete the PID tuning for Acro & Autolevel modes. I saved my last fully charged 2650mah battery and did a hover test and shot this video:

Test Flight - Post PID Tuning (0 min 0 sec)

I did try altitude hold and it was very tricky, it had a mind of its own. I need to adjust PID gains for that mode, and also figure out how to get "Simple Mode" to work, as right now it does not seem to.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:23 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
I guess it takes a lot more time to configure and tune the MWC Pro with GPS and 3DR Telemetry kit than the DJI Naza. Hmm...
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:43 PM
Joined Aug 2012
3,290 Posts
So i took MPNG off and put MW2.1 back on the flight controller. I am shocked at how much better things like Yaw control & carefree mode work. I took it to the park and burned off a 4s battery. I am averaging 5min on 2650mah 4s with 10" props.

Here's my first test of the new carefree (headsfree) flight mode:
MultiWii CareFree Mode (4 min 43 sec)

I need to do some work to get altitude hold to work better. But so far I am satisfied
Old May 14, 2013, 12:33 PM
Joined Aug 2012
33 Posts
Isolating the control board

I found a demo somewhere, probably YouTube where the guy compared two kinds of foam to a silicone gel pad and got the best readings (using a meter) with the silicone pad.
I've looked into this and found out that you can make your own pad, whatever thickness you want, just melting down artificial worms, like for fishing. The trick is finding them without salt or some kind of flavoring! You can buy the liquid to start with, but you can remelt those worms. I've done it and found that the only thing to worry about is getting it too hot will make it get sticky. Otherwise, just put a few in the microwave in an old mug, heat, stir, heat, stir and just as it gets to an easily pourable state, pour it into a simple mold (lightly oiled aluminum foil) let it cool, wash the oil off with dish soap and you have a pad any shape or thickness you want.
dotbox is offline Find More Posts by dotbox
Old May 15, 2013, 12:08 PM
Retired Flyer
United States, FL, Boynton Beach
Joined Nov 2011
112 Posts
My latest H-Quad for AP and FPV

Here is some pics of my latest H Quad

980KV Sunnysky's with 11x4.7 props lift this thing with ease, and Naza keeps it steady as a rock for Aerial Videos.
I use a piece of memory foam under camera mount for anti-vibration.

Camera housing is for the Sony Action Cam HDR-as10
floridabiker is offline Find More Posts by floridabiker