SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:29 PM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2012
3,324 Posts
Build Log
Building an H-quad for FPV.

So i am designing a quad for just FPV and its hard to argue against the H-quad design. I have a buddy who just built an H-Quad and I am sold on how stable it is, with all the real estate for mounting batteries, equipment, etc...

This is what I have come up with as my Design:

The idea is to have the center section free-floating, and suspended between the top body plates with bungee (elastic strap). The center plate would have the flight controller mounted to the top, with a 800mah 3s battery & my FPV camera mounted below.
AcroFPV is online now Find More Posts by AcroFPV
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:45 PM
we dont NEED roads!
Joined Aug 2012
3,324 Posts
woods cut:

shown with 10" props for scale purposes. I still need to cut out the top body plates, landing gear, and drill a bunch of holes... but its making progress.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:03 AM
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Oct 2011
59 Posts
Your design looks good, maybe even overly sturdy. One thing to consider though, the position of your flight controller should stay on the same plane as the motors of your quad. If you have it suspended by an elastic cable, the plane of the FC could differ from the plane of the motors as it swings about in that suspension. This might deceive the FC into thinking the craft is in a position that it really isn't. If it's a really tight suspension that might not be a concern, just something to think about. A lot of people will use a foam pad or something similar.
yarg is offline Find More Posts by yarg
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:05 AM
we dont NEED roads!
Joined Aug 2012
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarg View Post
Your design looks good, maybe even overly sturdy. One thing to consider though, the position of your flight controller should stay on the same plane as the motors of your quad. If you have it suspended by an elastic cable, the plane of the FC could differ from the plane of the motors as it swings about in that suspension. This might deceive the FC into thinking the craft is in a position that it really isn't. If it's a really tight suspension that might not be a concern, just something to think about. A lot of people will use a foam pad or something similar.
Yes i thought about all that. The elastic strap will have to be very tight, or else the elastic would amplify the frequency instead of isolating it. I have used foam pad before but that is a temporary solution, as foam seems to break down or gather dirt.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:36 AM
we dont NEED roads!
Joined Aug 2012
3,324 Posts
Another idea I had was to mount all the motors at a 5 degree outward facing angle to improve stability and reduce yaw drift.

Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:52 PM
Switzerland
Joined Jul 2010
345 Posts
Cool one QuadH
All the best for this nice design.

Some other have choose H
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1727528
eyesonsky is offline Find More Posts by eyesonsky
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:10 PM
Australia, NSW, Glen Innes
Joined Sep 2011
112 Posts
Looks good. It must be the season for H Frames as there are quite a few active threads over on the Open Pilot Forum about them.
AusTelemetry is offline Find More Posts by AusTelemetry
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:31 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarg View Post
Not 100% exactly, the right ideal position is to have accelerometer in the CG.
But this is not mandatory, just the theory, I have mine on an Ecilop type frame, placed at 10 cm from the center, and I don't feel something obvious wrong.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:27 PM
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Oct 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Not 100% exactly, the right ideal position is to have accelerometer in the CG.
But this is not mandatory, just the theory, I have mine on an Ecilop type frame, placed at 10 cm from the center, and I don't feel something obvious wrong.
I wasn't concerned with where the board was placed on the craft, but that it was on the same horizontal plane as the props. You are correct though, I was just looking at a nice Tri that had the board right up front on a T shape.
yarg is offline Find More Posts by yarg
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:45 PM
we dont NEED roads!
Joined Aug 2012
3,324 Posts
Well it is pretty heavy, but at least its perfectly balanced:

Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined Aug 2012
100 Posts
Bloody hell you move fast. Looking good mate, you going to use the same KK board on this one?
AeroRoo is offline Find More Posts by AeroRoo
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:19 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2012
706 Posts
Lookin good!
mcashatt is offline Find More Posts by mcashatt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SkullCopter Labs
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:23 PM
we dont NEED roads!
Joined Aug 2012
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroRoo View Post
Bloody hell you move fast. Looking good mate, you going to use the same KK board on this one?
Yeah it will start with the KK2 board. But eventually i will move onto the MultiWii platform with GPS and all the other goodies. I got quite a bit more work done on the frame, and completed the landing gear. Next is to create a new wiring harness and mount electronics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcashatt View Post
Lookin good!
Thanks matt
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:21 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
subaru4wd,

Why is rcgroups keeps hiding your posts? What rules did you violate?
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:25 PM
we dont NEED roads!
Joined Aug 2012
3,324 Posts
You get an infraction for every post of yours that violates the rules. Once you get 8 infractions they automatically hide all your new posts for a couple days.

Dec 31st i have a few infractions that expire so things should return to normal.