SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:12 PM
Registered User
laughingstill's Avatar
Gainesville, Florida
Joined Sep 2006
2,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
I see your side/Point. Really i do. I dont think Ron is pushing ppl to buy high grade electronics. From what i gather he just seems to be A Lil irritated with threads and posts from ppl trying or wanting to build large helis on a very small budget.
I think he is just nudging those ppl to up their game a little bit, and try and have them spend a bit more for proven quality components for their large birds. I think we all agree that the mark-up on some said products is outrageous and not necessary.
I for one think align ds610's work awsome on a 600-700 size heli. And they only cost $60 a piece. Better quality for a lousy $20 more. ( then again that $20 may be some modelers lunch money for the week ) So who the heck knows..lol
Exactly my point...a budget heli can be had.....a CHEAP 600700 class heli should NEVER be put together......Seems like only a few people here get it
laughingstill is online now Find More Posts by laughingstill
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:15 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2012
392 Posts
You say you shouldn't spend 5k on a quality bird, the more pertinent question is where do you draw the line? I've seen an Align 600 have a cyclic servo fail, should everyone avoid Align helis because of that?
Znybar is offline Find More Posts by Znybar
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:19 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2012
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
I feel like I'm taking over this thread, And thats the last thing i want. Znybar: to answer your question. Yes i would use $40 servos and a zyx gyro. But on a 500 size or smaller. With a 600 or larger bird i would not. Hmmmm does that make me a hypocrite ??

On that note I'm taking a back seat now.
Not necessarily. I'm certainly planning on paying for higher end stuff for my larger heli too, they are supposed to be the 'top of the line' so to speak as far as enjoyment for helis.

I think the issue here is that Laughingstill is implying cheaper parts suddenly make a heli a danger to everyone, when quite frankly I don't think anyone would be able to tell whether an xyz or 3gX was teh gyro being used on a given heli. I'm arguing that the user plays a bigger part in the danger-factor than the price of the heli.
Znybar is offline Find More Posts by Znybar
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:21 PM
No Longer Active
pitchp's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
I feel like I'm taking over this thread,

On that note I'm taking a back seat now.
same here

Unsubscribe!
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:34 PM
Registered User
laughingstill's Avatar
Gainesville, Florida
Joined Sep 2006
2,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchp View Post
same here

Unsubscribe!
Bet that won't last long
laughingstill is online now Find More Posts by laughingstill
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:39 PM
Registered User
laughingstill's Avatar
Gainesville, Florida
Joined Sep 2006
2,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znybar View Post
You say you shouldn't spend 5k on a quality bird, the more pertinent question is where do you draw the line? I've seen an Align 600 have a cyclic servo fail, should everyone avoid Align helis because of that?
How about not buying the cheapest kit, filling it with the cheapest electronics, and then flying it at the local park. Have seen that a few times and it just begs for disaster.
Personally, Align is where I would START with a 700 class Heli. NO CLONES OF ANY KIND. Now if you have a 250 or 450, roll with the cheap stuff as they can hurt still but not like the larger birds.
I do agree however that the pilot/assembler plays a HUGE role in the outcome.
laughingstill is online now Find More Posts by laughingstill
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:20 PM
Registered User
Canada, ON, Muskoka
Joined Jul 2011
667 Posts
Quote:
I do agree however that the pilot/assembler plays a HUGE role in the outcome.
Finally, something I agree with and will respond too. This is, and should be the only concern. I here what your saying, but I think the point is pushed a bit too far. Should someone that has never flown a heli before spend bottom dollar on a bigger heli and throw all caution to the wind, no. I've flown for 2 years now, have 8 helicopters from 100 size up to a HK500GT that is now about 80% Align. It was originally a $300 all in kit that I have upgraded over 2 years and it has never hit the ground or come close to hitting the ground. It is flown with respect, for myself, for the others around me, and for the heli.

Edit: I should add that my 500 that is now 80% Align didn't need everything replaced. I did upgrade because I could. I still have the HK parts as spares, they weren't replaced because of failure. The only thing that was suspect after about 100 flights was the original swash. It also has a Tarot fbl head and xyz gyro now and flies just fine.

I'm currently waiting for a Vwinrc 600e complete combo to arrive as my winter project. Do I have any reservations about buying a 600 size complete kit for $500, sure, but I'm not opposed to trying to get the best deal I can either. Will I just assemble this heli and throw it in the air without extensive low level flight testing, no. Will there be anyone else around when the first test flights take place, no. This heli will not see anything but hovering for about the first ten flights, hopefully it will get that far. If not, and provided nothing catastrophic happens, parts will get replaced as needed. Do I see this heli ever reaching the cost of an Align 600 kit, no. It WILL fly fine for much less. If after a few years it's 80% Align as parts wear out or I feel like upgrading, so be it. Parts need to be replaced over time anyways. There's no reason it can't be a dependable machine, as long as appropriate precautions are taken. That doesn't mean I have to throw my wallet at it to make it fly. It will be an aggressive sport flier, nothing more, nothing less.

Glen
Muskoka1 is offline Find More Posts by Muskoka1
Last edited by Muskoka1; Nov 27, 2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:10 PM
Sponsored by Team Me
raynet11's Avatar
Montgomery, IL
Joined Aug 2005
7,129 Posts
I have mentioned this in other threads but sadly an entire generation is being lost. We used to pride ourselves just as much on our builds as we did our stick skills. I think I triumph getting my Hornet X3D built and dialed in over learning new flight moves. The expectations for perfect out of the box BNF or monster 3D for a nickle seems to be perfectly normal around RCG.

I am not against cheap a long a it's safe and competition keeps the big guys honest vote with your wallet. There is a pretty good reason why I see Align and Thunder Tiger at my flying field year after year. Once trust is earned we are generally going to give them another try if the experience is bad we move on right?

You can learn the hard way or learn the easy way on these matters but generally the conclusion of long term heli fliers is the same. It is interesting to watch, you can't tell anybody anything around here since they already have the answers.
raynet11 is offline Find More Posts by raynet11
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Storage:
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:13 PM
Registered User
laughingstill's Avatar
Gainesville, Florida
Joined Sep 2006
2,954 Posts
Raynet gets it, and on that note I am closing the thread before the crazies jump back in!! N
laughingstill is online now Find More Posts by laughingstill
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion How did Harry Reid get so rich? An interesting article. P-51C Life, The Universe, and Politics 0 Aug 15, 2012 08:26 AM
Discussion So Did Anyone Get Any FPV Footage of the Eclipse Yesterday? drumbum961 FPV Talk 6 May 23, 2012 09:48 PM
Discussion So let me get this straight dll932 Life, The Universe, and Politics 18 May 20, 2012 11:52 AM
Discussion Since when did everything get so cheap? Cheesehead Electric Plane Talk 23 Jul 07, 2009 06:22 PM