HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:01 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,348 Posts
George-
I like the second vid better than the first!
Slow-mo is a great setup tool, I may have to look into that more.
It looked like on that rolling up line at about 4:35 or so, that if you held no up elevator in with the roll command, you might have too much rudder mixing to the ailerons?
A good test would be to fly the plane at speed away from you into the wind, and just rock the aileron stick back and forth, trying to not apply ANY pitch input.
Ideally, if your setup is good for the speed you are going, the tail will not "wag", it will stay perfectly in line, the fuse will stay straight.

Its REALLY hard to tell just from watching a vid though, too many variables.

Keep the vids coming, I'm enjoying your efforts producing them, Thanks! I sort of always wanted to get a GoPro and do some vid from the plane's perspective. Maybe one day....

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:36 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
2,919 Posts
Ian at Point Fermin flying Energic.

Today was a lot of fun at Fermin, wind was blowing between 14mph and 20mph with super smooth lift. Thanks to warren for the video, no music just that sweet sound of a fast plane all the ballast was in the wing for the video. Ian

IanFlying (6 min 18 sec)
bluffman is online now Find More Posts by bluffman
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:45 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
2,919 Posts
I apologize for the Ian flying scrolling across the screen, could not figure out how to delete text, this plane is a winner.
bluffman is online now Find More Posts by bluffman
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:45 PM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Aug 2004
1,785 Posts
glad it worked! WD
concreteman is offline Find More Posts by concreteman
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:37 AM
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Sep 2012
448 Posts
Awesome Ian!

I won't say it on the Schwing thread, but I wish I would have brought my Energic.
BDK74 is offline Find More Posts by BDK74
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:22 AM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,271 Posts
Man! Watching that video takes me back about 10-12 years when I used to be pretty much a fixture at Fermin. I started there, but haven't been there in years and years.

It looks like I'm making full circle and getting back to my roots with gliders, so I should be showing up at Fermin with mine (not Energic) before too long.

The Energic has been on my list since it came on the sceen while I was waiting on my Viking, and keeps moving closer to the top of the list.

Bill
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:20 AM
Lost at LAX
Joined Dec 2005
2,554 Posts
Makes me wish I'd got there earlier yesterday!
Old Fart is offline Find More Posts by Old Fart
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:19 PM
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Jul 2011
443 Posts
Ok I will try :)

Thanks Phil for the video that was awsome!! I have been studying and learning, one of my problems is I learned on electric sailplanes and am used to flying high. Next time I go flying I will bring her down a little I also think I have a serious problem all I think about is flying sailplanes lol...

George
SkySwiper is offline Find More Posts by SkySwiper
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:33 PM
Joined Jul 2011
443 Posts
Target

I do have some rudder mixed with the ailerons I will look into that. I am also learning that turning down my rates can make the plane fly smoother and less erratic. I used to think having the rates all the way up and being able to fly the plane was a mark of a good pilot.. This just goes to show I have a lot to learn still. I wont even talk about these transmitters with all the buttons switches and things. Ha and I thought I was going to have this hobby masterd in a couple of years, what was I thinking??

George
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:51 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,348 Posts
Thats what keeps it fun, George! You are right though, you will never stop learning if you want to keep knowing more. I love that part of this hobby.

And yes, using more throw than needed robs valuable energy from the Energic; I was going to suggest that your throws look large based on the video, but see, you beat me to it. Looks like you might be a fast learner!

Try to avoid more than about 20* of aileron throw as max. That is a good general rule.
Another good general rule is, if you never ever use full stick throw on your Tx, you likely would benefit from having less total throw period.
If you deflect surfaces less, you produce less drag, and the plane is faster (and then it needs less throw to get the effect you want!)...

Its all fun, and that is all that matters. If you are having fun, you are NOT doing it wrong!

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:46 PM
Joined Jul 2011
443 Posts
Target

I will look into the throws on my plane and the others as well. I also wanted to let you know I changed the settings on my video camera like you suggested and it looks better. Made a vidoe of us flying Little Mountain and the planes are staying in focus

I also wanted to let every one know if you enjoy sailplane videos check this guy out. This may be old news, he has many good models and great quality as well. https://vimeo.com/user1603193

Enjoy!!
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:18 PM
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Sep 2012
448 Posts
Would anyone want to trade their white nose for a red?

Brandon
BDK74 is offline Find More Posts by BDK74
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:35 PM
Ninja Master
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2007
1,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDK74 View Post
Would anyone want to trade their white nose for a red?

Brandon
Haha, I'm in the same boat as you! I have a red nosecone and want a white one! The different colors are growing on me though.
BigSwede is offline Find More Posts by BigSwede
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:04 PM
Carlsbad, Calif
Joined Mar 2007
664 Posts
Just finished mine and was wondering if anyone has a ballast configuration chart / diagram. Might be a moot point with this Fridays forecast
http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/la_jolla_pier
Mark Canfield is online now Find More Posts by Mark Canfield
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:14 AM
Joined Aug 2004
1,785 Posts
Mark, I treated it like my Pike (what goes in the wing-goes in the joiner). Yes tomorrow is looking like a ballast fest.

WD
concreteman is offline Find More Posts by concreteman