HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:50 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
The 14g Ares Moth seems to fly great with the short 6mm, so a regular vapor airframe should fly fine with one, too.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:16 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,451 Posts
looks like a mod i was thinking of doing when i got one Todd. be sure to post a video so we can see how well it works
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:16 AM
Brussels
Joined Jan 2011
165 Posts
How much weights the black plastic part on pz like batteries ? Is it worth to remove it ?
Camboui is offline Find More Posts by Camboui
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:57 AM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,428 Posts
I do not believe it is worth removing. When compared to the weight of a plug at the end of some wire leads (the alternative) the weight is about the same.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is online now Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:13 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,386 Posts
I read that the MV motor gets really hot fast. And that flight time is only around 5 minutes.

Does this tell us something about people flying it "wrong", sub-optimal hot-wind motor design, need for a motor heat sink (heavy!), need for a more flexible prop to give up pitch under high torque, need for something to increase air flow over the motor, questionable LiPo capacity selection, what?
Jim_Marconnet is offline Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:41 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,428 Posts
I think it depends on what kind of flying. I flew mine in our house again tonight and it got warm, but not "really hot". It's a tradeoff. Don't fly constantly at very high alpha for the entire flight and it should be fine. It does not require super high throttle settings for cruising around, and hence less heat. The thrust relative to weight is quite good, so most of the time lower throttle settings will be adequate.

I thought the flight time was more than adequate every time I fly mine. It's all about tradeoffs. Get more than one battery and swap more frequently as the price for lower weight.

Gordon
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:53 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,537 Posts
I fly a 5 min flight timer tooling around the basement:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1777199

Most of the time is spend around half throttle. It does not trip the LVC. The battery feels room temp. and the motor is only warm to the touch. I expect that both the battery and motor will last a while flown like this. Batteries are only $3.49 ea. The 4 batteries I ordered from Horizon on Black Friday arrived today.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:08 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,428 Posts
My experience is the same as Tim's. I have to say that Horizon did a masterful job of reducing the weight on this plane. Less weight meant less thrust needed, means a lighter motor can be used, means a smaller battery can be used, and so on.

They really sweat the details. The center and side ribs on the wings are a new design. On the regular sized Vapor they are injection molded the entire length of the rib. On the MV there is a small plastic fitting that slides on the leading edge and trailing edge of the wing, CF rods plug into these, with a spacer that's slid on the top and bottom CF rods that form the rib. This results in a lighter rib. CF rod for the wing perimeter is smaller diameter than a full sized Vapor, the fuselage square CF rod is also smaller, and so on.

Kudos to Horizon for going through the plane and figuring out all the places to save weight. I'm sure we will figure out ways to lighten it a bit more. But, Horizon did a really good job on this plane and there's not much left to lighten.

Now the graphics are a different story ...

Gordon
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:45 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
Thats how i think, its about flying style, dont do high alpha constant the whole flight.

Five minutes flight times seem perfect to me, but maybe im feeling the pain less than others becuase i bought two extra batteries!

HH did an AMAZING job with the airframe, they did absolutely the best that could ever be done.
Gettin rubbing alcohol for the graphics tomorrow. A great frame for lame graphics is just fine, the graphics can be changed. I dont mess with painting, so sharpieing her up is going to be a fun little bit of personalization i dont normally get, extremely excited.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:22 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,947 Posts

My usual Vapor mods, ball-bearing gearbox with carbon fiber prop, raised the rudder and increased the throws. Got it flying so well I don't think I'll add the bigger wing. It can power itself through tight loops and chase it's own tail now. The graphics are kinda growing on me so there here to stay. Just weighed it and I'm getting 8.86grams with battery?
TODD
I R Irv is online now Find More Posts by I R Irv
Last edited by I R Irv; Dec 02, 2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:36 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
I R Irv, how did you do the BB gearbox? With the release of the 2.3 gram BB linear servo and its tiny bearings i would have expected HH to upgrade these bushing gearboxes to BB, maybe not the vapor for wieght, but atleast to the spitfire!

Whats the purpose of raising the rudder? Flatter turns?
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:59 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Whats the purpose of raising the rudder? Flatter turns?
Raising the rudder keeps it out of the Elevator. The Rudder limits elevator throw.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:03 PM
No place like cloud base......
United States, VT
Joined Aug 2012
425 Posts
Where'd you get the CF prop?
SuperBarlow is online now Find More Posts by SuperBarlow
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:32 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Raising the rudder keeps it out of the Elevator. The Rudder limits elevator throw.
Sounds good, i always just limited elevator throw to just barely miss the elevator, might try this.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:16 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
I R Irv, how did you do the BB gearbox?
This isn't a quality production type gearbox, it's a hack job but works very well. I take out the Brass bushings and make sleeves that I glue on both ends of the gearbox, these will hold the 1x3x1mm bearings. 1 bearing and sleeve weighs less than one brass bushing so there is no weight penalty.

Carbon Fiber props http://www.rcfoam.com/product_info.p...ae1afe5590ce4a
Prop adapter=1st item http://www.homefly.com/products.asp?id=10&pg=2
If you use this prop be prepared for a quick little bastard.

Something I found out today is I can actually roll my MiniVapor, never got my modified original Vapor to roll for crap.
TODD
I R Irv is online now Find More Posts by I R Irv