Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:48 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
That is the way the Kyosho miniums still are. The replacement motors come with 2 pieces of heat shrink.
OK now that makes more since, splice and solder. Still seems like a studid mistake to save minimal weight. I have a fellin I'll be adding a motor plug.
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:56 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I R Irv View Post
OK now that makes more since, splice and solder. Still seems like a studid mistake to save minimal weight. I have a fellin I'll be adding a motor plug.
TODD
I'll be using my green dots and looking for .45g elsewhere...though .3g from short can motors seems like an good place to get most of the .45g.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:21 PM
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Joined Feb 2005
1,388 Posts
@UNGN - I wish I could tell you a proper source for them, I got all 3 of mine from Plantraco, on their micro blimp. I connector-ized it
Pete P is offline Find More Posts by Pete P
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:27 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,085 Posts
Are you discounting the added wieght of the much longer battery lead compared to your green dot?
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:37 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
The Green dot has a 2.25", this one has a 3"
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:11 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,749 Posts
any green dot still in production?
back to the board in the OP, part count is less, and i wonder how much you could lost by losing the screws and going CA...
seem the chips are the same, well two of them. my guess is AVR, and my guess is everything is pre programmed. there are no contact pads on the board, as opposed to the vapor brick, has them everywhere.
im kinda supprised no one has hacked a ar6400 style board yet. its the onboard processor that determines the channel count. i could just see it, elevron boards ready to go.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:40 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
I think the next place to look for weight would be swiss cheesing the servo racks.

Our Local hobby shop in Dallas has a supply of Vapor Fuselages with electronics for $30, that have pushrods, motor, gearbox, etc, so that is my source of greendots until it's mined out.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:19 AM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Are you discounting the added wieght of the much longer battery lead compared to your green dot?
I'm going with the known weight of the original Vapor brick, not the one in the pics, which has a different plug and shorter wires, for the reason you picked up on.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:08 AM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
That is the way the Kyosho miniums still are. The replacement motors come with 2 pieces of heat shrink.

The typical Champ buyer's head would explode, if they saw that.
Love it. I have a guy who brings me his Champs and Ember to repair because he can't. I once took 4 grams of tape of the fuse from when he fixed it!
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:40 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,425 Posts
I added a first pass table summarizing equipment differences between the original Vapor and the Mini Vapor. Thrust and amp draw comparisons will be added to this table as I measure them.

Gordon
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:52 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,533 Posts
Thanks for doing the heavy lifting on this kind of stuff Gordon!
I was considering trying a possibly lighter CF prop, but it would need some type of adapter and the stock prop is already pretty light. A Micro Invent 4027 is .3g on my scale with a Plantraco plastic adapter that is not a perfect fit over the Mini Vapor spur gear.

The prop shaft on the Mini is a bit shorter.
The wheels are smaller on the Mini.

I made some changes to mine, but wound up with no net weight loss. At least none that can be measured on my scale.

Opted to pass on tonight's indoor session because I know I can fly the Mini Vapor in the basement anytime I want. Like right now
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:12 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,940 Posts

Carbon fiber props and a ball-bearing gearbox are my first mods. Hoping to pull it vertical out of trouble when needed.
TODD
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:29 PM
I live on LiPos
United States, DE
Joined Jul 2012
691 Posts
This is a neat plane hopefully will get one for flying indoors
RcAirplaneNoob is offline Find More Posts by RcAirplaneNoob
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:40 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,425 Posts
Any scratch built plane I build using this gear will almost certainly use a CF prop for lighter weight. Todd already has my favorite BSD prop saver hub on the gearbox. I haven't got that far yet.

I think these short 6x10mm motors are one of the most interesting new developments in the last 12 months. Ares used one on their Nano Stik. Their gearbox has no bronze bushings, but has a lower gear ratio than the Mini Vapor, and hence a smaller prop. The Mini Vapor uses a higher gear ratio, and a larger prop (but still smaller than a standard Vapor prop). I don't know if the Ares and Mini Vapor 6x10mm have the same wind yet. But, I do know that we now have two different gear ratio gearboxes these can be used in.

The reason I think these short 6mm motors with relatively hot winds are so significant is they fill in a gap in propulsion systems. Their weight is not that much more than a medium or long length 4mm motor, but they have a relatively hot wind. The 4mm motors do not have a hot wind. So, the 4mm motors can only be used effectively in the very lightest actuator models. Now, with these lighter 6mm hot wind motors we can get close to the weight of a 4mm propulsion system, with substantially more thrust.

These short 6mm based propulsion systems open up a variety of possibilities. That's why I used the Ares 6mm in my 9.0g LRF Dr.1 tripe. The earlier rudder only actuator version with a ball bearing watch gear 4mm drive would barely climb. With only slightly more weight from the motor/gearbox, I'll get about a 1:1 thrust/weight ratio.

Gordon
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,940 Posts
Sorry Gordon, I'm kinda turning this into a mod thread.

Possible mod #2, I made a 12'' wing for the Mini Vapor. Looks more like a wing and not a oval. Hoping it will slow it down and stabilize the turns a little better. Trying to decide if I want to go a little smaller or not and what to use, 2um or 5um Mylar. Swore I wouldn't use 2um again(tears easy and can be a pain to cut) but I have it here and this might be the perfect time to use it.
TODD