Naza-H Preview Flight (4 min 38 sec)

Daytime video
Bearsa LLC is offline Find More Posts by Bearsa LLC
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:26 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,839 Posts
A little close to the kids with a 500. However, it tells me what I want to know. I will be getting one of these soon for my 500FBL.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:44 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,543 Posts
What I'm really curious about is if it has a bailout switch. Meaning I lose orientation while flying in manual mode, get inverted by mistake, can I just flip it into Atti or GPS mode to have it self right itself and hold it's altitude. I've been trying to learn 3D on helis for a while, but after crashing my Trex 450 3 times and my Trex 500 once, all from orientation loss, I'd buy a naza H if it could save me a few crashes.
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:28 PM
Joined Jan 2012
97 Posts
DJI Has Already Released Formally Naza Series Product——Naza-H GPS Helicopter System.

In order to help customers get rid of some confusions about Naza-H GPS functions, a thread created.

Naza-H GPS is not only an autopilot stabilization system (Attitude Mode & Gps Attitude Mode) included following all other DJI existing helicopter autopilot system, Ace One, Ace Waypoint and WooKong-H/WooKong-H Lite, but is a Flybarless System with very good performance. Check the video below.

Therefore, Naza-H is a good option for Flybarless System 3D Flight and Autopilot Stabilization Flight.

Naza-H Main Features:
All-in-One Design
Built-in Tail Gyro/Flybarless Supported
Support for Multiple Electric Helicopter Platforms
Advanced Attitude and Control Algorithm
Optional GPS Module
Multiple Flight Control Modes/Intelligent Switching
D-Bus Supported
Independent LED Module
Semi-auto Take-off & Landing (Will Be Available in The Following New Firmware)
Lovingflying is offline Find More Posts by Lovingflying
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:49 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,839 Posts
I don't think the H has a bailout function. I know several manufactures were working on it, but I don't think that they succeeded in doing it. I checked the SK site, which I remembered was working on it and I don't see it in the features list for the SK720. Now it looks like they are adding a Baro and GPS unit, for $495 above the $400 for the 720. It makes the Naza H look like a bargain.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:31 AM
Russian Federation, Moscow
Joined Jan 2011
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsa LLC View Post
Daytime video
Hi, Thanks for video!

As I understand, the main controller of Naza can be installed in any orientation?
Den978 is offline Find More Posts by Den978
Last edited by Den978; Dec 03, 2012 at 02:43 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:31 AM
F550 Hex, Blade mQX
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jun 2012
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
A little close to the kids with a 500. However, it tells me what I want to know. I will be getting one of these soon for my 500FBL.
Yeah, I didn't see that until I reviewed the video. She knows enough not to go near the "flying thing", although the adults were insistant that I fly around. The video was going to be longer but they were not watching her and I cut it short.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:44 AM
F550 Hex, Blade mQX
Joined Jun 2012
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den978 View Post
Hi, Thanks for video!

Please check, you have not properly installed the main controller.
He should be to look forward.
Page 4 of Naza-H quick start guide v1.0
http://download.dji-innovations.com/...t_guide_en.pdf
Attachment 5346331
You can change the orientation via the Setup Wizard. Mine is at 270 offset.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:27 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den978 View Post
Hi, Thanks for video!

As I understand, the main controller of Naza can be installed in any orientation?
That is correct as long as it is not upside down.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:42 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloaf View Post
What I'm really curious about is if it has a bailout switch. Meaning I lose orientation while flying in manual mode, get inverted by mistake, can I just flip it into Atti or GPS mode to have it self right itself and hold it's altitude. I've been trying to learn 3D on helis for a while, but after crashing my Trex 450 3 times and my Trex 500 once, all from orientation loss, I'd buy a naza H if it could save me a few crashes.
The instruction manual states that you should not flip into GPS mode while inverted, and also that you should not move the sticks while switching into GPS mode. It appears that the system uses the sticks neutral positions to determine how to hold the heli, so I'm not sure what would happen if you flipped into GPS mode without them centered. This means to me that although you can lock into GPS atti mode and then fly around, the system is not designed to be flipped into this mode while out of control.

If you are only looking for a bailout, then the are currently three vendors that already have this and GPS isn't used. Skookum 720 has an auto level at the flip of a switch as a bailout, the Helicommand HC3X does the same but will also add pitch to get the heli away from the ground, and finally the the new MS Brain claims to have leveling as well, but its a new product and the initial reports are that it needs work.

Skookum just released a pre order for their first 25 GPS units that will start shipping in Jan. The GPS is a $495 add on to the $400 FBL unit, but makes the most claims of functionality with hard deck to rescue a crashing heli 10m or 33 feet before it hits the ground and full GPS capability while doing 3D. It will even be able to fly itself home. If it works, it will be the King of FBL setups for training, but we still have a little more wait for its release.

I'm going to buy the Naza in the mean time just to see what it's limitations are and exactly how tolerant it will be when switching between modes in different orientations. I think the Naza is at a great price point for those who are just beginning to fly, or scale or AP guys, but probably not the right choice for those trying to learn 3D since the system isn't designed to work inverted. The Helicommand unit seems to be the current weapon of choice for bailout during 3D practice from those who have tried multiple solutions.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Last edited by Xrayted; Dec 03, 2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:02 AM
F550 Hex, Blade mQX
Joined Jun 2012
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
The instruction manual states that you should not flip into GPS mode while inverted, and also that you should not move the sticks while switching into GPS mode. It appears that the system uses the sticks neutral positions to determine how to hold the heli, so I'm not sure what would happen if you flipped into GPS mode without them centered. This means to me that although you can lock into GPS atti mode and then fly around, the system is not designed to be flipped into this mode while out of control.
Switching from Manual to GPS/ATT is quite tricky sometimes.
The manual says zero stick, the PC software recommends sticks positioned at a stable hover.
I can say if you have any stick out of the neutral position other than the throttle and switch to GPS/ATT, it's bad news bears. The craft adds on the extra freedom of movement (35% default) to what the sticks position are, and manual mode has much more range, you get whatever your stick position was plus 35% in that direction.
Took my first day to get this and the fact that servo direction can be both reversed and normal at the same time down.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:09 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsa LLC View Post
Switching from Manual to GPS/ATT is quite tricky sometimes.
The manual says zero stick, the PC software recommends sticks positioned at a stable hover.
I can say if you have any stick out of the neutral position other than the throttle and switch to GPS/ATT, it's bad news bears. The craft adds on the extra freedom of movement (35% default) to what the sticks position are, and manual mode has much more range, you get whatever your stick position was plus 35% in that direction.
Took my first day to get this and the fact that servo direction can be both reversed and normal at the same time down.
Thats what I thought. I'm not so sure I would have the ability in a crash situation to 1) let off sticks 2) then carefully flick into GPS mode to rescue the heli. This might be ok if just putting around upright and high up. If you lost orientation you could probably lock her down long enough to regain composure and take back over.

Thinking this clearly when all messed up and heading for the ground will be another story though.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:56 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
7,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloaf View Post
I don't think the purpose of the Naza-H is bailout and/or recovery but a flight stabilization system with GPS/position hold capabilities. If you want bailout capabilities I would recommend the Co-Pilot II system by Revolectrix. I've had several of them while I was learning to fly and they did wonders to boost my confidence. Revolectrix has recently introduced an add-on module to the Co-Pilot II called "Hard Deck". You can do anything you want above a certain altitude but once you get below it, or the Hard Deck, the unit will level the heli from any attitude. The videos are quite impressive.

That being said, I've got both a 600-class and 500-class scale heli and since they are both militarty and olive drab, I have trouble with orientation on both of them. The Naza-H would be a welcome addition to both of these helis for "peace of mind" flying. If I lose orientation I simply let the heli level itself and I'm good to go. I wouldn't need the GPS. Does the Naza-H allow for more than 45 degrees of tilt, or is it restrictive like the Naza-M? Also I like the fact that this is also compatible with flybarred helis, as both of mine are.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans